The winners and losers of Quarantine and lockdown

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

There are always some who business that suffer from quarantine or lockdown but some do well out of the situation from what I see.

The winners and add what you think

Foodpanda delivery-  Very busy my area

Grabfood delivery- Same as above

Facebook- Overloading servers I noticed at times so mean many using

The losers

Basically everyone else but you might know of something doing well in your area.

• Like 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The losers

Basically everyone else but you might know of something doing well in your area.

The winners in the USA are the gun manufacturers and gun stores.

• Americans purchasing record-breaking numbers of guns amid coronavirus
  • Feds allow for drive-up gun sales to ease dealers', buyers' coronavirus worries

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/us-gun-purchases-coronavirus-record

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/10/feds-allow-drive-up-gun-sales-ease-dealers-buyers-virus-worries/5134084002/

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There are always some who business that suffer from quarantine or lockdown but some do well out of the situation from what I see.

The winners and add what you think

Foodpanda delivery-  Very busy my area

Grabfood delivery- Same as above

Facebook- Overloading servers I noticed at times so mean many using

The losers

We use Food Panda now and again, excellent reliable service, not sure but suspect they are home grown.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, RBM said:

We use Food Panda now and again, excellent reliable service, not sure but suspect they are home grown.

We like Food Panda too. However, here in Davao, the number of restaurants working with them has dropped precipitously. We know of at least one driver who was laid off due to lack of orders. I check regularly and, out of maybe 100 or more local restaurants here who previously worked with Food Panda, now there are 10-15 at most. When I check for restaurants to order from, most show closed with future opening dates and times that keep moving forward... I would order a few things, if possible, but the choices remaining are not all that good now.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

now there are 10-15 at most

any idea why? restaurants close or bad service?

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, scott h said:

any idea why? restaurants close or bad service?

I don't know. However, I suspect it may be due to closure of the restaurants proper because they are small and depend on walk-in customers? Or maybe because business is so slow that it is just not worth it to stay open?

Jollibee, for instance, has cut way back on hours and stores that remain open. S & R has cut back hours and product offerings. Many of the restaurants are located in malls here and maybe that is part of it?

Looking at the list of restaurants, I think that many of them (but not all) are quite small so a drop in sales is their death knell?

I love the Food Panda service and always tip the boys 50 pesos or so - and they seem a bit surprised but are thankful.

I used to drive a taxi for a while and so I continue to try to support service people.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I love the Food Panda service

They are Good BUT they need open/operating outlets to prepare food, should outlets close the service will close eventually as we say they can only be as good as the stuff they deliver, No Food to deliver, no business swings and roundabouts come to mind :smile: at the moment yes! they are on the winners list but....................

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

They are Good BUT they need open/operating outlets to prepare food, should outlets close the service will close eventually as we say they can only be as good as the stuff they deliver, No Food to deliver, no business swings and roundabouts come to mind :smile: at the moment yes! they are on the winners list but....................

I think you are absolutely right, Jack. My feelings exactly.

I checked just now online with Food Panda and there were 20 restaurants they are serving at this time. And about half of these are offering deserts and snack type food, not meals or entrees...

Maybe it is still early in the day, so I will check again later.

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

no business swings

I am wondering if the smaller restaurants are running out of working capital to buy ingredients :89:

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, scott h said:

I am wondering if the smaller restaurants are running out of working capital to buy ingredients :89:

From the limited information I have at hand, the margins for restaurants here generally are rather thin. Many people in Philippines are rather "thrifty" and don't like to spend any more than necessary for restaurant food. I can easily see that just a week or more with few - if any - customers could break restaurants that are right on the edge anyway.

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic