The winners and losers of Quarantine and lockdown

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is a new service started up here in CDO which do your grocery shopping for you. We have used them a couple of times now and are very happy with them. With the local restrictions on seniors leaving the barangay coming into effect next Monday I think they will be very busy! 

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

There is a new service started up here in CDO which do your grocery shopping for you. We have used them a couple of times now and are very happy with them. With the local restrictions on seniors leaving the barangay coming into effect next Monday I think they will be very busy! 

Those services have been starting up in USA  a while ago, from what I have read. I think that could be the way of the future. I, personally would be delighted to pay someone to shop for me these days, so long as they were discerning and didn't buy bulls*** produce or other products. But, I also think that they would - hopefully - buy quality goods or their business will fail precipitously. I look forward to seeing such a service here...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

so long as they were discerning and didn't buy bulls*** produce or other products. 

There lies the problem - like many wives, and a good few husbands too, mine likes to look over the fruit, veg, meat etc before choosing and I doubt those professional shoppers will take the same care. 

As far as I'm aware, whilst such services exist in the UK for example, they have not had the same impact as online grocery shopping has.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There lies the problem - like many wives, and a good few husbands too, mine likes to look over the fruit, veg, meat etc before choosing and I doubt those professional shoppers will take the same care. 

As far as I'm aware, whilst such services exist in the UK for example, they have not had the same impact as online grocery shopping has.

Yep... I agree. They would need to have wives and partner types to look over the products. I see most Filipinas and Filipinos seem to check their purchases very carefully here. But a commercial venture? It remains to be seen.  It could be a wonderful business if some could really ensure quality.:smile:

So, actually... what is the difference between this sort of service and "online grocery?" I am ignorant about that...

Edited by Tommy T.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Those services have been starting up in USA  a while ago, from what I have read. I think that could be the way of the future.

Ask Honestbee who I think are Singaporean who were operating here in the Philippines up until last year. Although busy the margins were to low. They were going to restructure but never reopened.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We like Food Panda too. However, here in Davao, the number of restaurants working with them has dropped precipitously.

Grab now has the majority of business and even at these times has many more restaurants to choose from than Panda. One place I know used to use Panda for their delivers and it stopped, I asked why and apparently they owed that business lots of money. Grab now work from there.

1 hour ago, scott h said:

I am wondering if the smaller restaurants are running out of working capital to buy ingredients :89:

A lot has to do with you cant eat in. Staff cant get to work, no transport, same as unless you live close you cant get there either.. Small restaurants are not known enough to warrant the use of Grab or Panda.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Grab now has the majority of business and even at these times has many more restaurants to choose from than Panda. One place I know used to use Panda for their delivers and it stopped, I asked why and apparently they owed that business lots of money. Grab now work from there.

A lot has to do with you cant eat in. Staff cant get to work, no transport, same as unless you live close you cant get there either.. Small restaurants are not known enough to warrant the use of Grab or Panda.

I have not looked into Grab here much...

When trying to use Grab for taxis here, it just is not available. I have taken taxis with Grab stickers on the windows, the system apparently is not up and running here. I have been a loyal Food Panda customer but, if they don't have anything on offer, then I must go elsewhere, as you are suggesting.

So I will look into Grab anyway to see if it flies here or not... Thanks for the idea...

And your second comment, I think, is exactly right. No business inside, no business, no staff. I really feel sorry for the small, quality restaurants that will die from this virus...

Edited by Tommy T.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So I will look into Grab anyway to see if it flies here or not... Thanks for the idea...

I should have called it Grab Food but on the same app anyway. Grab Kitchen now operates in Manila where business are set up mainly for grab food deliveries only. 

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/02/13/20/grabkitchen-is-a-one-stop-virtual-food-park

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Seen a lot of online fruit & vegetable sellers on Facebook, they must be doing well seeing as they're about double the price of the market, one of them posted a video of their messenger and they were getting about 2 messages per minute.

Spoke to a few Grabfood riders, they're making 3-4k per day. More customers and barely any traffic. Not many restaurants in our area, we've had Bonchon, Mcdonalds & KFC on rotation lol. The wife stopped cooking often about 2 days after she got most of my money in her bank account:89:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I should have called it Grab Food but on the same app anyway. Grab Kitchen now operates in Manila where business are set up mainly for grab food deliveries only. 

I just now checked online using my Grab app on the cell phone.

You are absolutely right! I did not spend a lot of time checking in detail, but the offerings and restaurants were much more prolific and available than Food Panda.

We don't need anything right now, but we will definitely give Grab Food a try when the need arises. I had no idea that Grab Food had taken hold here. Thanks for the great suggestion JGF!!!

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic