The winners and losers of Quarantine and lockdown

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yep... I agree. They would need to have wives and partner types to look over the products. I see most Filipinas and Filipinos seem to check their purchases very carefully here. But a commercial venture? It remains to be seen.  It could be a wonderful business if some could really ensure quality.:smile:

So, actually... what is the difference between this sort of service and "online grocery?" I am ignorant about that...

That was our concern initially. We have used them twice now and each time they have phoned my wife from the store suggesting an alternative if the preferred one was not available. And the quality of fresh produce was very good so they seemed to be making an effort. Only time will tell if they maintain the standard but certainly we will use them again. 
As for the difference between them and an online grocery, I guess they are similar, however you are providing a shopping list as opposed to selecting particular items. You can be specific if you want, for example I prefer Cowhead Fat Free Milk and Mainland Vintage Cheddar cheese and that is what they delivered. They operate via Facebook so you can send them pics of particular items and they did the same when offering alternatives, which was kinda neat! And they don’t confine themselves to just one store. They will shop wherever you want. Including the local market.  Each time we ordered around 20 items and their charge for doing so was around a couple of hundred pesos delivered to our door. Cheaper than a round trip taxi fare.

• Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I guess one winner which should be at the top of the list in many countries is the funeral homes. :mellow:

Another although not so much now but early into the lock down in my call center area was private vans for hire as many call centers hired vans to get workers in and home. I counted 12 at one call center plus there own 3 and seen many others around but now just a few doing that.

I guess working from home or there are some companies who have staff staying in their building or nearby hotels. Others are working on a skeleton staffing. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

That was our concern initially. We have used them twice now and each time they have phoned my wife from the store suggesting an alternative if the preferred one was not available. And the quality of fresh produce was very good so they seemed to be making an effort. Only time will tell if they maintain the standard but certainly we will use them again. 
As for the difference between them and an online grocery, I guess they are similar, however you are providing a shopping list as opposed to selecting particular items. You can be specific if you want, for example I prefer Cowhead Fat Free Milk and Mainland Vintage Cheddar cheese and that is what they delivered. They operate via Facebook so you can send them pics of particular items and they did the same when offering alternatives, which was kinda neat! And they don’t confine themselves to just one store. They will shop wherever you want. Including the local market.  Each time we ordered around 20 items and their charge for doing so was around a couple of hundred pesos delivered to our door. Cheaper than a round trip taxi fare.

That sounds super impressive to have them contact you with alternatives - that is what L does when shopping for us.And to also respond to photos and then send return photos to verify. This sounds truly amazing!

I would never expect that from a commercial service. If that is true, then I think they have a key to the future in sales and service!

So where is this Bearman? Is this in metro Manila? I can't imagine this here in Davao...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

The daughter-in-law is working from home doing call center work. It's brilliant to permit her to do that and also cost effective for the company. I hope they permit this in the long run because I think it promotes better work ethic - she can stop for a moment to play with the dog, go get a snack, get up and stretch and wander around her own home... Plus, of course, safe or safer from contamination and infection - the primary reason for this.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

So, actually... what is the difference between this sort of service and "online grocery?" I am ignorant about that...

They are the same. But, with online stores you know what's available when you order and can select options to replace ordered items with alternatives should there be a problem. With the human alternative, you are delegating choice to the person completely. 

Edit - just saw Huggybearman's reply so kinda negates my point.

Edited by hk blues
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That sounds super impressive to have them contact you with alternatives - that is what L does when shopping for us.And to also respond to photos and then send return photos to verify. 

If my wife called me from the grocery store to discuss grocery alternatives, and worse still sent me pics, i'd be looking at 1 of 2 options -

Option 1 - find a new grocery store

Option 2 - find a new wife

:smile:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

If my wife called me from the grocery store to discuss grocery alternatives, and worse still sent me pics, i'd be looking at 1 of 2 options -

That's harsh, HK. I respectfully disagree with your viewpoint 100%.

When L shops and finds that something I listed is not available as requested, she will either message me to ask for guidance or send me photos of the alternatives. It does not happen often, but it has happened a few times recently. I don't see that as negative at all but rather as a huge positive in our relationship and I am very appreciative that she is so sensitive to my preferences. She is trying to find what I specify as close as possible.

Normally we don't do this, but in these times, she is eager to please me and, if anything, sometimes I am a bit embarrassed that she is so careful to want to buy the things I really would like to have. In more normal times, I do the same for her. If she is working (which is the normal), I go out and do the shopping. If I am not sure about something, rather than buy the wrong item, I will either message her or send her photos of the alternatives, or both. I see these as advantages using technology that were not available or even dreamed of not so many years ago.

So, please tell me what's your problem with that?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I guess one winner which should be at the top of the list in many countries is the funeral homes. 

Limted numbers of mourners allowed at funerals here in UK

5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Others are working on a skeleton staffing. 

Careful wording needed JGF :whistling:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Hmm thinking 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

That sounds super impressive to have them contact you with alternatives - that is what L does when shopping for us.And to also respond to photos and then send return photos to verify. This sounds truly amazing!

I would never expect that from a commercial service. If that is true, then I think they have a key to the future in sales and service!

So where is this Bearman? Is this in metro Manila? I can't imagine this here in Davao...

It is here in Cagayan de Oro. They are very enthusiastic. A start-up operation for sure. I think we will be using them more as we have stricter lockdown criteria here starting on Monday. Their Facebook is OnlineMerkado (with a k). Maybe they have a presence in Davao?

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The daughter-in-law is working from home doing call center work. It's brilliant to permit her to do that and also cost effective for the company. I hope they permit this in the long run because I think it promotes better work ethic - she can stop for a moment to play with the dog, go get a snack, get up and stretch and wander around her own home... Plus, of course, safe or safer from contamination and infection - the primary reason for this.

My SIL and her husband both work for a call center in the NCR. They were able to bring their computers home so they could work from their home. They had just moved from a tiny 1BR apartment to a much larger 2BR apartment now that they have a 1 year old and were worried about losing income after having just increased their monthly expenses. So they are doing ok so long as they can buy the food and other consumables they need.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic