The winners and losers of Quarantine and lockdown

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Come on guys & gals we are not Children, so don't let's act like them

Not sure to whom you are referring, Jack, but since your post follows my own, may I assume it is directed at least partially at myself?

So let me offer a bit of explanation about our situation in case that is true? Our relationship has never been stronger. This virus simply makes us cling that much closer together than ever before. We appreciate our health and lives every day more than ever.

During the normal times, pre-virus,  L typically does her own shopping for groceries because she usually prepares Filipino foods. I don't usually know what she will make and don't really pay attention to what she brings home. I do my own shopping, normally, because I cook other cuisines - American, German, Chinese, French and others. So neither of us knows what the other will be preparing. It's one of the joys that we each like to try something new or different to share with the other.

For example... I might specify a particular cheddar cheese for a dish I want to make. The store is "out of stock" so she asks me what would be a good substitute and sends me a photo of the cheese area in the cooler at the store. She is ignorant about most cheeses since she has not used much besides QuickMelt or a few others. It's no big deal, just using the available technology to our advantage.

That's why we sometimes consult - more so now than before, because I am not venturing out - about some purchases but still not all that often. If the grocery store does not have what I have listed, then she simply asks about what to substitute - it's really easy. Neither of us is spoiled or demanding. :tiphat:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Neither of us is spoiled or demanding. :tiphat:

Perhaps But certainly Picky and that can have the same effect but then as we say, each to our own :wink:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

My Wife for one, Knows what I like and dislike & Visa Versa. At a time like this I do what I normally do ( But without the face just now) and eat what is on the Table,

Yep that’s what I do , and if I cannot eat it all , I know Ems will finish it off, 

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Yep that’s what I do , and if I cannot eat it all , I know Ems will finish it off, 

Same with mine, Steve...she was definitely brought up in a waste not want not family.  

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Same with mine, Steve...she was definitely brought up in a waste not want not family.  

Ems is a clever woman she knows what I don’t like or won’t eat but she insists I should try so she puts it on my plate , knowing or hoping I won’t eat it then she has her seconds :shock_40_anim_gif:

Edited by stevewool
Added
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

BUT it seems like we may be seeing some cracks starting to appear in a few Relationships.

Just lit a candle in our house........

Well the reason being my little Pineapple Princesss, just sat down with a plate of rice with Dried Fish! :Caught:

Sorry but I just can't get past the smell........ We certainly have been mixing up other food, rather than see it going to waste.

Keep smiling chaps things won't last forever. :cheersty:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kuya John said:

my little Pineapple Princesss, just sat down with a plate of rice with Dried Fish!

Ahh there is a DEFINITE winner.  My princess recently moved to Canada with me.  The customs people said:  Sorry ma'am.  Due to the pandemic we are not allowing dried fish into Canada.  (Normally it is allowed).  So I WIN

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2020 at 3:38 PM, stevewool said:

When I was a kid, the table rules were rather strict. My sister and I were not permitted to leave the table unless our plates were clean. Then, we asked "permission to be excused," after all of us had finished our food. Back then it seemed a bit tough, but not intolerable. I learned the value of food from my parents, who had grown up and spent time during the Great Depression. I have never lost that value and, to this day, always clean my plate before getting up from the table - ether here at home or when out. But, yeah... I do cheat a bit and ask for a doggy bag if there simply is too much food. But waste not want not is my personal rule - and L's too...

Edit to add: Both L and I are shocked when we see someone seated near us in a local restaurant who leaves their table with half a plate of food still sitting on their plates. It just seems so wasteful when, to us, food is precious at any time - not just now with this virus - but always...we just don't get it.... L grew up having to work just to earn money for rice when she was in university. She grew up without privilege or cash. She values food way more than I do. So we see some of  the losers now as the people who suddenly  don't have as much on their tables as before. But the biggest losers are those who, like when she was a university student scraping all the time for money for food, now are struggling to find their next meal...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Meanwhile... L just finished a marathon shopping trip a while ago... Now we need to see if we can eat two months worth of food before it all spoils!!!!

• Like 2

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

I have always been told that for me to go shopping in the market it is sure to cost a lot more as the price goes up for a white man hahaha, So its the best excuse for my wife to always do the shopping, she's very good at getting special & my favourite food so this works very well for us both. With the lockdown we do just the same, I drive her to the local town and wait in the van while she gets what she can, there are shortages which change from week to week but we don't suffer any real hardship and I have never been a fussy eater, so it still works ok for us and I can read a book in the van & avoid the shopping which hate even in the UK :th_thbarbaque:    I do always make sure I have a few steaks or burgers as back up but I quite like most of the food here and love the dried fish SORRY but its yummy and doesn't smell much worse than Kippers which I also love.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic