Khao Tom Moo - Thai Rice Soup

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Having lived in Thailand for over 5 years with not much to do most days I'd go to some of the friendly street food vendors once my Thai was good enough and get them to teach me a different dish each day during their quiet times - I ended up a pretty good cook of Thai food - impressing my female friends thatnot only was a man able to cook but a foreigner was able to cook Thai food well enough for them to ask for more.

So today I was thinking what to eat and rice soup came to mind with the current shortages - this was almost the only food I ate for about 6 weeks at once stage when I had some financial troubles.

INGREDIENTS

• Ground pork 200g
  • 2 mid to large lemon grass stalks
  • 1.5 cups of white rice
  • 1 whole garlic knob
  • 3 slices of ginger
  • Chives
  • Salt and pepper
  • boiled egg or two

INSTRUCTIONS

1. First cook the white rice with additional water so it is soft and watery
  2. Fry the pork with a little oil
  3. Add water to the frypan and pour the oil and the pork into a pot (trust me you want the fat or you'll be hungry in 30 minutes, plus that is where all the flavour is)
  4. Add the rice and more water, put on to boil on low heat for 30 minutes or so
  5. While boiling crush the entire clove of garlic and finely slice your 3 larger slices of ginger and chop your chives - add to pot
  6. salt and pepper to taste while boiling
  7. Boil until the rice turns partly to slush
  8. Add boiled eggs cut in half to each bowl

This serves 2-3 people. Add more rice for more servings.

As a cheat add in a pork noodle flavour sachet or knorrs pork flavouring (I don't like msg so I do not use these).

Done and easy.

Best eaten after a long night on the drink whilst staggering home :)

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love it 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

Sounds good and simple to make, will have to try it. Question - in steps 3 and 4 you say add water. For step 3 I presume just enough water to deglaze the pan? And about how much would you say for step 4? 

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gator said:

Sounds good and simple to make, will have to try it. Question - in steps 3 and 4 you say add water. For step 3 I presume just enough water to deglaze the pan? And about how much would you say for step 4? 

3. I just throw in enough water to make sure all hte fat comes out of hte pan, doesn't really matter how much, I used maybe 1/2 a cup to a cup.

4. It's a bit like porridge, well rice porridge, cover the ingredients with 2+cm of water depending upon the type of rice you use and how 'wet' it is when you put it in. It is easy to add more water or boil it off  to the desired state - the consistancy should be like the Filipino Lugaw when finished.

PS You can also add one medium chopped tomato, the Thai's do not do this but I find it adds to the flavour nicely.

It is easy, and it is something you can cook for the extanded family and they'll like it as it is similar enough to Filipino food, but different enough for a new experience.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, AusExpat said:

So today I was thinking what to eat and rice soup came to mind with the current shortages - this was almost the only food I ate for about 6 weeks at once stage when I had some financial troubles.

Interesting that the recipe does not include spicy chilis? I am guessing that these could be added to taste? You recipe looks tasty and great and easy too! From your posts, I think it could be adapted with additions of various veggies or whatever might be left in the refrigerator or pantry?

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Interesting that the recipe does not include spicy chilis? I am guessing that these could be added to taste? You recipe looks tasty and great and easy too! From your posts, I think it could be adapted with additions of various veggies or whatever might be left in the refrigerator or pantry?

Most definitely you can add anything but the Thais do it simply, it 's  a favourite with expats as hangover food. It's one of the few foods without chilli there.

• Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, AusExpat said:

3. I just throw in enough water to make sure all hte fat comes out of hte pan, doesn't really matter how much, I used maybe 1/2 a cup to a cup.

4. It's a bit like porridge, well rice porridge, cover the ingredients with 2+cm of water depending upon the type of rice you use and how 'wet' it is when you put it in. It is easy to add more water or boil it off  to the desired state - the consistancy should be like the Filipino Lugaw when finished.

PS You can also add one medium chopped tomato, the Thai's do not do this but I find it adds to the flavour nicely.

It is easy, and it is something you can cook for the extanded family and they'll like it as it is similar enough to Filipino food, but different enough for a new experience.

Thanks for the update.

Adding the tomato sounds like a good idea, brightens it up a bit and adds some acidity to balance the pork fat.