Red Horse Discussion- Split from another topic

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, AusExpat said:

"Stallion" it is called in Quezon city at least.

Ah... I guess I did not make my comment clear. I was actually referring to Tanduay in small bottles, not Red Horse. They come in long neck, then seniors (I think - the 375 ml bottles) and juniors which are 250 ml.

All Red Horse that I have seen is 6.9% - but then I think there are some varieties I have seen on shelves that I have not tried. I like Red Horse okay but I prefer the San Miguel Light taste a bit more.

I drank malt liquor when in university - "Drink for effect!!" But really did not enjoy the taste as much as just regular beer.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I prefer the San Miguel Light taste a bit more.

:Happy: I would say we should all be Grateful for what we can get at this time :wink:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

:Happy: I would say we should all be Grateful for what we can get at this time :wink:

I certainly am.

I have even taken a couple of Beer Beer brand as nothing else was available.  I made shandies out of them to both make them last longer and improve the taste - actually, they weren't too bad and whilst I wouldn't choose it over SML or Red Horse, I'd drink it again with no hesitation.  

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Not a fan of Red horse at all, even though Ive ben a beer drinker all my life ( yeah started about aged 10-11 whenever Dad was on a business trip )...Red Horse definitely isnt for me. Been all over Philippines and some places theres no Red horse or Pale and only Eagle.. which is ok as an alternative.

Litro of cold Pale  at sunset ,relaxing watching the sea works nicely.

But in lockdown my local ministop has Tiger Dark.   Most Tiger beer is fairly weak and non de-script ( bit like Heineken is ) but Tiger Dark, which actually isnt dark is excellent.

Was in Spain in a supermarket recently, looking in beer section for takeaways and they have a tasty beer there, called ...Manila. And San Miguel in Spain tests totally better than here, or maybe it was just the fact it was different. Only drinking SAn Mig pale can lead to a desire for new tastes , over time.

AusExpat
Posted
Posted

Personally I only like Red Horse when I am having one beer, one is enough for an effect but more than that gives headaches and hangovers beyond what you should get.

SML is my favourite but you need to drink a few to get an effect.

In Thailand when they first imported them there most of my friends lost 5kg in a couple of weeks by swapping to SML, also no hangovers which tells me they are fairly clean.

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, jimeve said:

was he an ozzie too? :7500:

Frenchman actually - maybe that was it?

• Like 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted

I do find Red Horse, like the old Chang beer in Thailand before they reformulated it, is stronger than just the alcohol content listed on the bottle.  One litre of Red Horse will knock me about but I can drink 20 SML and be ok next day after a good breakfast and brewed coffee.

The Fosters Strong currently at S&R (before and Aussies chime in it's made in Vietnam under license and nothing like the original and 29P per can!) is also rated at 6.9% but has a completely different kick than San mig beers, similar to Red Horse but without the easy hangover.

I never knew about malt liquor beers, I'll have to go read up. When I was younger I went beer-packing about Central/Eastern Europe drinking 10-12 pints of 8-12% beer each day, never got a hangover, always felt good.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

I never knew about malt liquor beers, I'll have to go read up. When I was younger I went beer-packing about Central/Eastern Europe drinking 10-12 pints of 8-12% beer each day, never got a hangover, always felt good.

Have you tried Tiger black beer that's a pure malt beer and it's 6.9%. Taste better than RedHorse imo, once you get use to the taste.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Taste better than RedHorse imo, once you get use to the taste.

Everything is about getting used to the taste. If there's nothing else generally one will become accustomed to what they have.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

When I was younger I went beer-packing about Central/Eastern Europe drinking 10-12 pints of 8-12% beer each day, never got a hangover, always felt good.

I'll hold my hand up and say I simply could not consume10-12 pints of strong beer. Physically couldn't do it.

I don't love Red Horse but do like to kick off my Saturday/Sunday session with a couple to take the edge off. I then move on to SML and it's just a better beer for me. That said, no way could I consume 20 bottles - I'd drown!

I tried the Tiger variances but just can't get into them. I can tolerate the Tiger Crystal but i want to enjoy a beer rather than tolerate it.

SML - SM Pilsen - Red Horse in that order for me.

I have bought Heineken on and off but just don't enjoy it enough to pay the 50% premium over SML. 

• Like 1