The simple life

peterfe
Posted
Posted

We all know that many Filipinos are suffering now - no money, no work - but have you realised that for a huge number, perhaps even the majority, life is going on just as before? Just 100 metres from the main road here, farming families continue to pick their vegetables, move their animals, walk around freely and nobody wears masks. They don't care if the malls are closed, they never go there anyway, probably hardly ever to a supermarket either. It's not a bad life, I've lived like that myself - no AC, no TV, no internet, just occasionally listen to the news on the radio, but it's usually quite irrelevant. So if you'd found yourself a nice country lass, built a simple house out in the sticks, and could do without cappuccino, Guinness, cheese or whatever Western delights you might miss, you'd be perfectly content during this lockdown, not complaining like everybody else. And if you ever felt a bit bored, make sure you have plenty of batteries, and then you could listen to the Kinks "I'm not like everybody else", which would make you feel much better!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

roddavis
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, peterfe said:

We all know that many Filipinos are suffering now - no money, no work - but have you realised that for a huge number, perhaps even the majority, life is going on just as before? Just 100 metres from the main road here, farming families continue to pick their vegetables, move their animals, walk around freely and nobody wears masks. They don't care if the malls are closed, they never go there anyway, probably hardly ever to a supermarket either. It's not a bad life, I've lived like that myself - no AC, no TV, no internet, just occasionally listen to the news on the radio, but it's usually quite irrelevant. So if you'd found yourself a nice country lass, built a simple house out in the sticks, and could do without cappuccino, Guinness, cheese or whatever Western delights you might miss, you'd be perfectly content during this lockdown, not complaining like everybody else. And if you ever felt a bit bored, make sure you have plenty of batteries, and then you could listen to the Kinks "I'm not like everybody else", which would make you feel much better!  

Kinda reminds of the 60's when I was growing up/ no money/ simple home was on the road/ few friends to drink and party with! Me the Ex Hippie! But now-a-days, got to have my AC on and internet to make me happy! Also a good wife that takes care of me and my needs! :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yes a simple life is what I think I would like but with a car and internet and a healthy bank account , plus the wife too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Yes a simple life is what I think I would like but with a car and internet and a healthy bank account , plus the wife too.

So you will be giving us a Visit down on Negros next time,  we live the simple life my friend without long drawn out  Posts like we tend to get just now, Problems just get stomped on and then we move on :wink: leaving the ME ME ME Aholes to have their struggles on thier own :Happy:

Edited by Jack Peterson
just a little edit
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

So you will be giving us a Visit down on Negros next time,  we live the simple life my friend without long drawn out  Posts like we tend to get just now, Problems just get stomped on and then we move on :wink: leaving the ME ME ME Aholes to have their struggles on thier own :Happy:

Jack I can assure you on our next visit to the Philippines I will be visiting your area and hoping to stay a week or so catching up face to face with folk I have met on here , next March onwards most probably, I am sure we could put the world to right over a pot of tea or a few beers but make sure there is a lemonade top on my beer .:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, peterfe said:

That's me and the Mrs...plus extended family all around us.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

peterfe
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thus I predict that people will actually get to enjoy the self isolation lifestyle after they have been forced to do it for . .  6 months? 

Well, that depends a lot on where they are and what they're allowed to do. It's fine where I live now, kind of almost in the countryside, plenty of freedom, but if I was in a city, with (nosy) neighbours all around, more police checks, etc. and having to stay indoors for months on end because I'm over 65, that would be a different story:sad:

• Like 4

Gas
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, peterfe said:

We all know that many Filipinos are suffering now - no money, no work - but have you realised that for a huge number, perhaps even the majority, life is going on just as before? Just 100 metres from the main road here, farming families continue to pick their vegetables, move their animals, walk around freely and nobody wears masks. They don't care if the malls are closed, they never go there anyway, probably hardly ever to a supermarket either. It's not a bad life, I've lived like that myself - no AC, no TV, no internet, just occasionally listen to the news on the radio, but it's usually quite irrelevant. 

Sounds almost idyllic until something goes wrong and these families look to their relatives in the city or abroad for money.

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic