The simple life

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Yup... Seen that.

Seen that, I’ve felt that, but you learn and now I am standing at the back of the family queue looking over all there shoulders watching who moves first , then second and I will be third .

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, stevewool said:

Seen that, I’ve felt that, but you learn and now I am standing at the back of the family queue looking over all there shoulders watching who moves first , then second and I will be third .

Yeah... I hear you. In L's family, it is not so apparent as it seems to be in Em's. Sure, they are hurting, but generally they are not asking for a lot of help... maybe a few thousand pesos over a long period of time. Her family knows that, even though she and her older sister are teachers with reasonable (for here) salaries, they are not the cash cows. I am impressed with the lot of them actually. And only one sibling has ever approached me for some cash and I rebuffed him firmly but politely. Meanwhile, she and her sister are paying to take care of the ageing parents who are in their 90's already. Hospitalizations, oxygen, meds, and on and on. So no one seems to press for anything... Again... I am impressed with the family.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

My post was in response to what I considered to be a remark insulting Filipinos generally. That is...tarring all with the same brush.

It does get old, you know.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

To which I might add.... in the 15 years of marriage to my first Filipina wife, I was never asked for money.

Neither have I been asked for anything by family during my present relationship/marriage (9 years now) to the present Mrs. 

Perhaps some of US are to blame, where this does happen ? 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, graham59 said:

My post was in response to what I considered to be a remark insulting Filipinos generally. That is...tarring all with the same brush.

Nothing worst then being tarred with the same brush, 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

So no one seems to press for anything... Again... I am impressed with the family.

You seem to have won the 'family lottery' Tommy :)

With SWMBO her immediate family have never asked for a single peso (mama, papa, sister or brother) but there are a lot of cousins and some of them have a habit of asking (and saying no doesn't seem to stop them).  They are in the minority though, most of the family don't ask so I count myself fairly lucky.

It actually makes me more willing to help when I know they won't ask and I know it's serious.

Maybe it's the "boy who cried wolf" effect... not sure.

• Like 5

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

My wife & I live out in the country and although the lockdown has limited us 1 shopping trip a week, we are quite happy at home, i seem to spend a lot of time on the internet, especially messenger and have taken up Badmngton for a bit of exercise, I have to admit that being nearly 70 years old doesn't help and I feel rather stiff in the mornings toooooooo! I have just ordered a 4.5m x 2.2m swimming pool to, I fancy a nice relaxing soak in the pool after the Badmington, it should be quite refreshing :56da64b0e8139_36_1_471: .I have no wish to go back to the UK while they are so in the shit with this virus, so I am going to enjoy all we have here and we don''t go short of anything apart from a BEER, well I am used to not having any booze about now, I am saving my small stock of wine for special occasions :tiphat::morning1:. I hope you are all keeping fit & well.

I have a small kiddies pool, 1.5m * 700cm that I throw Epsom salts in, takes away the aches and pains after heavy exercise.

Looking at the upstairs bathroom and the effort to put a proper bath in, I decided this was easier and less likely to ruin a perfectly good non-leaking floor. I guess this fits in with a simple life, so keeping on topic :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

We'll have a really nice pool round the back, once the rainy season gets into full swing .  :mocking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

I want to put a propper pool together one day but at the moment this 4.5m x 2.2m will have to do until I have finished my business project which is being hampered by this shut down !!

P1020106.JPG

• I'm Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic