The simple life

Gas
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

They do... but in my experience most families do rely on someone working in the city, or OFW, to send money. Just a fact of life in the Filipino economy. 

From my experience i agree.  

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Which is why I said "but in my experience" ha ha  Every family, I know, that has a car - either has an OFW or a foreigner. 

In my town a lot of families have cars and nobody works abroad. Of the 44 registered businesses on the main street everyone has a car or van

Whereas the farming families really on money from relatives who work in the city or abroad, IF there is a problem. 

Edited by Gas
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gas said:

In my town a lot of families have cars and nobody works abroad. Of the 44 registered businesses on the main street everyone has a car or van.  

And, may I suggest? Most or all of those families have huge loans to but those cars? Not being negative, Gas, just my observation from here...

• Like 3

Gas
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

And, may I suggest? Most or all of those families have huge loans to but those cars? Not being negative, Gas, just my observation from here...

Nothing wrong with having a loan if you can pay the monthly fees. 
I am sure most on this forum had a mortgage or loan at some point in their life. 
I would say the vast majority are payed of quickly, as business is good in out town or maybe i should say was until a few weeks ago!   

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I will make another comment here now regarding this topic:

I don't think there will be a "The Simple Life," here again... This virus and international commerce have invaded the Philippines and this cannot be put back into a box... Such is my most negative thought, sorry.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gas said:

I would say the vast majority are payed of quickly, as business is good in out town or maybe i should say was until a few weeks ago!   

Perhaps so, but I disagree with you, Gas... and with respect.

I wish, truly that this was the case. But I have seen so many repossessions of motorcycles (mine was one of those) and cars from people who simply could not afford to buy, yet were attracted to buy from advertising and peer pressure (can you say Face Book?) Peer pressure here seems to be intense - from my observation - which may, of course be faulty...

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

I will make another comment here now regarding this topic:

I don't think there will be a "The Simple Life," here again... This virus and international commerce have invaded the Philippines and this cannot be put back into a box... Such is my most negative thought, sorry.

As somebody who has run a business here for a long time it is going to be difficult to recover from this lockdown. 

The 'happy life' will continue today as the DSWD has just given all the farmers In my are 6,500 this morning. Never seen so many happy faces, as they passed my house on there way home for a drinking session! We have had a alcohol ban in place for 31 days, but the police only enforce it in town.   

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Perhaps so, but I disagree with you, Gas... and with respect.

I wish, truly that this was the case. But I have seen so many repossessions of motorcycles (mine was one of those) and cars from people who simply could not afford to buy, yet were attracted to buy from advertising and peer pressure (can you say Face Book?) Peer pressure here seems to be intense - from my observation - which may, of course be faulty...

I agree it is different in every area. I am only pointing out that in our town the businesses have been doing well for the past 30 years.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gas said:

As somebody who has run a business here for a long time it is going to be difficult to recover from this lockdown. 

The 'happy life' will continue today as the DSWD has just given all the farmers In my are 6,500 this morning. Never seen so many happy faces, as they passed my house on there way home for a drinking session! We have had a alcohol ban in place for 31 days, but the police only enforce it in town.   

1 minute ago, Gas said:

I agree it is different in every area. I am only pointing out that in our town the businesses have been doing well for the past 30 years.  

That is sad for you and I am truly sorry to hear that, Gas...

I am glad that somebody is passing on some relief money to those in your area!

And I agree and see your point about things looking good in your town. I am really pleased to hear that things are not so desperate everywhere. So we just all keep on keeping on...

Cheers, Mate!

Tom

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Which is why I said "but in my experience" ha ha  Every family, I know, that has a car - either has an OFW or a foreigner. 

In the street our house is in,  which is in the small 'large lot' part of stage 2 of the subdivision about 1/3rd of the houses have cars (various types and ages) and the rest either have those 3 wheel tricycles or motorbikes.  I'm the only foreigner in the street.

Our next door neighbour on one side gets low km almost new Nissan sedans (reposessions maybe?) from the National Capital Region and sells them.  He uses one as his car and a demonstrator and swaps them out as they sell.  He always has one to use as his own car.

The private elementary school at the end of the street has the owners living there (well sort of next door) they've got their own car as well.  A current shape Toyota Wigo.

The neighbour down the road owns a rooming house elsewhere in CDO and is building a set of aparments across from them (not far from us), they own a nice Nissan truck.  They're looking to be a bit upmarket by CDO standards, each has their own small kitchen area and CR and motorbike parking/private space at the rear.  I'm not sure at this point if they're going to be sold or rented.

I can't speak as to the others in the street that aren't as close but there are at least some that own cars from their own income in our street.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic