The simple life

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

And, may I suggest? Most or all of those families have huge loans to but those cars? Not being negative, Gas, just my observation from here...

I'd say that is most likely correct here in Manila, there seems to be a glut of easy credit as all the older cars and most owner type jeeps have disappeared in the last few years and rather than sensible small cars like Toyota or Honda they all seem to be buying the biggest SUV that they can borrow for. The roads are covered in massive cars with people who can't see over the hood and probably paid for their license anyway....

I feel sorry for a lot of them as financial education doesn't seem to be taught here at all.

My favourites are the huge jacked up 4 wheel drives with fake mud painted up the sides who then creep over the smallest speed bump at 2 mph.

The growing materialism here is one of the reasons I want to get out of Manila soon and return to a simpler life - there we go - back on topic ;)

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

I'd say that is most likely correct here in Manila, there seems to be a glut of easy credit as all the older cars and most owner type jeeps have disappeared in the last few years and rather than sensible small cars like Toyota or Honda they all seem to be buying the biggest SUV that they can borrow for. The roads are covered in massive cars with people who can't see over the hood and probably paid for their license anyway....

I feel sorry for a lot of them as financial education doesn't seem to be taught here at all.

My favourites are the huge jacked up 4 wheel drives with fake mud painted up the sides who then creep over the smallest speed bump at 2 mph.

The growing materialism here is one of the reasons I want to get out of Manila soon and return to a simpler life - there we go - back on topic ;)

Yep... My thoughts exactly...!

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I can't speak as to the others in the street that aren't as close but there are at least some that own cars from their own income in our street.

So, your experience is different than mine. No worries.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The simple life, when kids did not need an Xbox or Playstation.  My latest sketch.

Chasing the tire.jpg

Very nice, Mike!!!

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The simple life, when kids did not need an Xbox or Playstation.  My latest sketch.

Seriously... would you consider selling me that sketch or a quality copy of that? It really is very nice.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

So, your experience is different than mine. No worries.

Every rule has an exception, I wasn't having a go at you.

I was only trying to show an example to show that different areas will have different situations.

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Chasing the tire.jpg

They're still doing that up and down our road. :biggrin:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AusExpat said:

Doesn't only apply to Manila...same thing here in Iloilo.  

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Chasing the tire.jpg

That tyre has more tread on, than the jeepneys round here

• Haha 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic