French Toast

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

So, as we venture off topic - as usual - and I don't really care here...

Not to diminish or negate your careful research, Aus, but I find that the various studies also vary in their results. I agree and believe that eggs, butter and natural fats are okay for people to consume, and are, in fact, necessary for a healthy life. For a time, years ago, I switched to using margarine as it was touted as being much safer than butter.... hmmm... Then I switched back and never looked back.

So now I eat what I wish but do try to minimize the carbs, generally, and only splurge now and then. My overall cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol levels are down, as is my blood pressure - which used to be marginally a bit higher than normal.

But I do get irritated when I read various studies that one day say alcohol is bad, then the next day, it is okay... a miracle! Or coffee is bad one day, then it is fine the next... another miracle!

So, as has been suggested in posts in other topics, statistics can be bent or displayed to show almost anything someone wishes.

I am not disagreeing with you here at all, just stating my personal opinion. And I do appreciate your research!:smile:

And, yeah... I will continue to enjoy my French Toast with butter and egg and lots of pure Canadian maple syrup! With bacon, if I have it!!!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Hey... If I may die starving for air from this virus, then I would prefer it happen on a full stomach! Damn the cholesterol, full speed ahead!

Tom I have had 1 stroke already and if you have you would be careful, if not then be very careful

1 hour ago, AusExpat said:

Last I read in TIME magazine is they got it all wrong and the natural fats, ie egg yolks and butter were fine and the problem is in fact the margarine (trans fats) they told us to eat instead.

Well now a quick search came up with a lot of results these are a couple of relevant ones

https://time.com/3705734/cholesterol-dietary-guidelines/  (cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern)

https://time.com/magazine/us/2863200/june-23rd-2014-vol-183-no-24-u-s/ (Time magazine cover story - ending the war on fat - a lengthy and indepth article on the vilification of fats)

https://time.com/4669635/worst-foods-for-heart/ (Hint it's processed meat products and sugar)

https://time.com/4386248/fat-butter-nutrition-health/ (consuming butter is not linked to heart disease)

The simplistic idea that eaten cholesterol bypasses your entire digestive tract to clog your arteries is rather medieval in thinking. It turns out cholesterol is important in hormone formation and a ton of other health related features in hte body so eating a low fat, low cholesterol diet ends up harming us in many ways.

So in short enjoy your French toast it's way healthier than breakfast cereals.

No according to my Consultant ;

Cholesterol

French toast should also be eaten in moderation since it also contains plenty of cholesterol. When your body has constantly high levels of cholesterol, this can lead to a cholesterol build-up known as plaque. This plaque will then lead to narrow and hardened arteries that can obstruct blood and oxygen flow. This condition can lead to serious illnesses such as a stroke, heart attack, high blood pressure and heart disease.

Full article https://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/feeling-nauseous-these-tips-may-help-alleviate-the-symptoms.html

Good morning all :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Tom I have had 1 stroke already and if you have you would be careful, if not then be very careful

No according to my Consultant ;

Cholesterol

French toast should also be eaten in moderation since it also contains plenty of cholesterol. When your body has constantly high levels of cholesterol, this can lead to a cholesterol build-up known as plaque. This plaque will then lead to narrow and hardened arteries that can obstruct blood and oxygen flow. This condition can lead to serious illnesses such as a stroke, heart attack, high blood pressure and heart disease.

Full article https://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/feeling-nauseous-these-tips-may-help-alleviate-the-symptoms.html

Good morning all :smile:

Good afternoon. The latest information is that cholesterol does not do that, this is TIME magazine I quoted who quote actual studies, there is plenty more available with a quick search :)

I really think these days we have to do our own health research and do what we think is right rather than listening to others. Which of course includes listening to some random guy on a chat forum - this is why I always link respectable sources who quote the studies you can go and read yourself.

i've seen an article a few years ago claiming peanut butter caused cancer, and then two days later in the same paper an article how peanut butter was healthy. Also on the radio last time I was in Aus some 'study' claimed that being obese had no being upon fitness......... so much garbage out there now.

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

so much garbage out there now.

Here too and I would sooner trust my Consultant

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Here too and I would sooner trust my Consultant

Great, I would rather trust myself :)

• Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

Great, I would rather trust myself :)

My Friend, do you honestly think that I spend Thousands of Pounds a year to stay alive that I Don't trust myself to stay alive :smile:

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

My Friend, do you honestly think that I spend Thousands of Pounds a year to stay alive that I Don't trust myself to stay alive :smile:

I guess you'd have to. Though what I meant was that I prefer to read the latest up to date research information myself than rely upon someone who may have learned his knowledge twenty years ago in University. I have had this problem with doctors here before, I even take printouts for some to read.

Edited by AusExpat

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

than rely upon someone who may have learned his knowledge twenty years ago in University.

Behave yourself, next you will be telling us Why oil is at such a disastrous Price. Be careful though, you may wake a member up who is an Oil man, who is very good and might even listen to you :whistling:, Me? I have finished listening to you, My Life as You say, is in My Hands & and my much respected Medical Practitioners here and in the UK. If you have Problems with Doctors then they are yours to deal with.

:shock_40_anim_gif:Wait though. you are starting to sound like a Pinoy Builder I can Do that "Gis us a Job"  Do you drive? maybe at your age you may need a retest to make sure you are still doing it right after all these years. OH! did I say with the Greatest respect  :wink:

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Behave yourself, next you will be telling us Why oil is at such a disastrous Price. Be careful though, you may wake a member up who is an Oil man, who is very good and might even listen to you :whistling:, Me? I have finished listening to you, My Life as You say, is in My Hands & and my much respected Medical Practitioners here and in the UK. If you have Problems with Doctors then they are yours to deal with.

:shock_40_anim_gif:Wait though. you are starting to sound like a Pinoy Builder I can Do that "Gis us a Job"  Do you drive? maybe at your age you may need a retest to make sure you are still doing it right after all these years. OH! did I say with the Greatest respect  :wink:

Ok, you seem highly confused and disorientated. At this point all I can say is have a good day.

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 4/19/2020 at 3:18 PM, Tommy T. said:

Easy peasy Sunday breakfast or brunch. Today I found a two week old baguette in the refrigerator and was shocked to find that it was still in good condition - no mold and still soft enough to slice.

So just slice a baguette maybe 1/2-3/4 " thick on diagonal. Or take any bread you have on hand.

Take one or two eggs and whisk or beat them a bit in a large bowl. I prefer to add some cinnamon also, to taste.

Dip the bread, both sides in the egg then put in a heated skillet. Turn when egg coating is cooked on each side. Butter the cooked toast. Served best with real maple syrup (my preference being from Canada, eh?) but you can use whipped cream, powdered sugar or just whatever sweet syrup you might have on hand or even sweet fruit like mango or pineapple would work too.

Goes great with bacon or sausages. If there is leftover dipping egg, then just fry that with a bit of salt and pepper to not waste it.

Only takes a few minutes and is a great way to use up old bread as it will refresh and soften when fried.French Toast.jpg

Tom we had these this morning,  not same as your pic....Perhaps my partner did not soak them enough or no butter, they were soggy but not overly so.

Do you butter them before cooking or after? Agree the cinnamon is a nice touch.

• Thanks 1