Jump to content

Travel to & from the Philippines ? is it impossible ?


Recommended Posts

I just wonder if it would be possible to travel to the UK if I wanted to ? In past years I used to come here for 5 weeks holiday but this year its a 6 month trip before moving here to live, if you were on a holiday & caught by the lockdown, would you still be stuck here ?? We live near San Mariano & I don't think there is any way to get to Manila, the airport at Cauayan is shut !! I am in no rush to get back to the Uk as they have a very major problems there and although they have a shut down it is no where near as strict or effective as the one in the Philippines, it could be a long time before they are virus free, so its much safer here for a 70 year old fart like me. It all ends soon.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Support
6 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

don't think there is any way to get to Manila,

As a Yankee, we get regular updates from our embassy. If we want to fly back to the states, they will electronically supply us with a travel pass to reach the airport. It guess it depends on you nationality 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, scott h said:

As a Yankee, we get regular updates from our embassy. If we want to fly back to the states, they will electronically supply us with a travel pass to reach the airport. It guess it depends on you nationality 

Thanks Scott, I am from the UK but with their problems I am in no rush to get back until they have things under control, I will have to check with the airline to see if my return ticket is still valid and there will be a flight on the 22nd of May, I have not bothered so far but it would be good to see if I can arrange a future date if Singapore air lines have cancelled my flight, my wife & I don't mind staying here for a while, we still have 7 months on our visa. God knows what people did who like us in the past only came for a few weeks, may be there was a way to get home, I have no idea but holiday money does not allow for this sort of thing !!

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

Thanks Scott, I am from the UK but with their problems I am in no rush to get back until they have things under control, I will have to check with the airline to see if my return ticket is still valid and there will be a flight on the 22nd of May, I have not bothered so far but it would be good to see if I can arrange a future date if Singapore air lines have cancelled my flight, my wife & I don't mind staying here for a while, we still have 7 months on our visa. God knows what people did who like us in the past only came for a few weeks, may be there was a way to get home, I have no idea but holiday money does not allow for this sort of thing !!

John... My suggestion is that you and your wife just stay and chill wherever you may be. Nobody can change this virus situation, so you might as well try to relax and enjoy wherever you are. You are still alive and well now? Then all is really well and good for you...

At least that is my viewpoint here... but then I have no need or plans to travel for a long while either...

Cheers, my Friend!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

John... My suggestion is that you and your wife just stay and chill wherever you may be. Nobody can change this virus situation, so you might as well try to relax and enjoy wherever you are. You are still alive and well now? Then all is really well and good for you...

At least that is my viewpoint here... but then I have no need or plans to travel for a long while either...

Cheers, my Friend!

Thanks for that Tommy and I totally agree, we are in no rush to go to the UK, we are happy to stay here until things are back to normal in the UK, that may take many months !! We will use the extra time to complete our building project here for the new business which will be a good, my only reason for going back is to pack every thing up into a container and ship to the Philippines as we intend to live here. I expect clearing the house in the UK and renting it out will take a few months, we have so much stuff to either sell or ship here, cars to sell, I will be glad to have all that sorted one day. We remain healthy & happy here even with the restrictions, I will be pleased when I can get my hands on a beer though, that would complete the paradise life style :SugarwareZ-005:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

Thanks for that Tommy and I totally agree, we are in no rush to go to the UK, we are happy to stay here until things are back to normal in the UK, that may take many months !! We will use the extra time to complete our building project here for the new business which will be a good, my only reason for going back is to pack every thing up into a container and ship to the Philippines as we intend to live here. I expect clearing the house in the UK and renting it out will take a few months, we have so much stuff to either sell or ship here, cars to sell, I will be glad to have all that sorted one day. We remain healthy & happy here even with the restrictions, I will be pleased when I can get my hands on a beer though, that would complete the paradise life style :SugarwareZ-005:

Stop by here any time... I still have a few San Mig Lights here...

Best of luck to you, and please stay in touch here.

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many first world countries have run 'user pays' commercial evacuation flights (some have piggy backed on other countries ones, like NZ onto the Aussie flights).

From what I've read they're neither cheap nor necessarily easy to access since they're flying out of Manila (not much help to people who can't get to Manila).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Chamberlain said:

I just wonder if it would be possible to travel to the UK if I wanted to ? In past years I used to come here for 5 weeks holiday but this year its a 6 month trip before moving here to live, if you were on a holiday & caught by the lockdown, would you still be stuck here ?? We live near San Mariano & I don't think there is any way to get to Manila, the airport at Cauayan is shut !! I am in no rush to get back to the Uk as they have a very major problems there and although they have a shut down it is no where near as strict or effective as the one in the Philippines, it could be a long time before they are virus free, so its much safer here for a 70 year old fart like me. :fingerscrossed_80_anim_gif: It all ends soon. 

There are updates from the British embassy in Manila. But if I was in your position, I would stay here till the cov 19 clears up. It's a right old mess in the UK.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jimeve said:

There are updates from the British embassy in Manila. But if I was in your position, I would stay here till the cov 19 clears up. It's a right old mess in the UK.

Thanks for that Jimeve, We have no intention of going to the UK until they have the virus beaten and that could well take a long time as people over there are not sticking to government policy / advise, they can walk & drive about unlike here, so I think its going to take a while. We will be happy to stay in the safety of the countryside where live, we have no cases of the virus here, so we are very lucky to be safe, fit & well.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Many first world countries have run 'user pays' commercial evacuation flights (some have piggy backed on other countries ones, like NZ onto the Aussie flights).

From what I've read they're neither cheap nor necessarily easy to access since they're flying out of Manila (not much help to people who can't get to Manila).

Normally the embassy provides a travel pass for people using these flights. Still no guarantee if one strikes a bone head at a check point, best to also obtain a mayors travel pass.

GeoffH your bang on, these flights are not cheap, the recent one to NZ was about 3 times the normal price.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...