Ants and Aunt eradication- Split from another topic

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I will second that, we had ant problems all over the house, then Someone said on a different forum. mix Borax and sugar in even quantities and a drop of water to bond the two together mix so it's crumbly, put on the ant runs only need a bit. No more ants all gone now. I got the Borax from the groceries.

Yeah... I did that on the yacht with mixed results... Maybe they were too discerning regarding the sugar I used? Or maybe they were just not happy with the mix?

So I have been using ant bait from Ace Hardware and it sort of does the trick. But not always... So I spray the trails and will try Intrepid's solution as soon as Lazada is open for business. I really hate ants (aunts... not so much if they behave themselves...).

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

We've got one aunt who can be annoying... but using pesticide on her seems... harsh :whistling:

Reminds me of my Aunt Norma.  She has passed on so no danger she will read this. :whistling:

• Haha 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I was going to edit my original post for spelling but we are having too much fun so I decided to leave it as is.:6:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I seem to have tiny ants on one side of my condo and what look like tiny spiders on the other. They are so small its hard to see. I looked up for eradicating spiders and vinegar with equal parts water sprayed where they are should work and from a post here should work on ants. When Im not busy doing nothing I will give it a go. 

intrepid
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I seem to have tiny ants on one side of my condo and what look like tiny spiders on the other. They are so small its hard to see. I looked up for eradicating spiders and vinegar with equal parts water sprayed where they are should work and from a post here should work on ants. When Im not busy doing nothing I will give it a go. 

I tried that also and it does kill the ants and most insects.  The problem is it only kills them.   Others will follow the next day or most times within hours.  I like the bait because they eat it and take to their nest and kill them all.  The only place I have seen it available was the one I posted above from Lazada.  Good Luck:tiphat:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Others will follow the next day or most times within hours.

Not with the lockdown, they cant move about :whistling:

• Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It was my experience, in the Philippines, that there are some different species of ants who prefer different types of food.  The ones who prefer sugar will be killed by the borax bait box method but they are often replaced with a meat eating species.  The meat eaters will eat anything from dead ants to human flesh.  They do not seem to like sugar so any sweet bait does not work.  The borax "bait method" does not work with them.  The answer is to create a mild borax spray formula.  Lightly spray some of the ants.  Only lightly because the trick is to have them get back to the nest before they die.  That way the other ants will consume the dead ones and also be killed by the borax.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jimeve said:

I will second that, we had ant problems all over the house, then Someone said on a different forum. mix Borax and sugar in even quantities and a drop of water to bond the two together mix so it's crumbly, put on the ant runs only need a bit. No more ants all gone now. I got the Borax from the groceries.

It worked with borax too? I tried that originally but didn't put the drop of water which makes sense as the boric and honey worked well. That would have saved a few dollars as I always have it around the house - good for getting mold out of clothes that have been in storage too long or ones that did not dry properly in rainy season.

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mike J said:

Reminds me of my Aunt Norma.  She has passed on so no danger she will read this. :whistling:

So the bait works on Aunts too? :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It was my experience, in the Philippines, that there are some different species of ants who prefer different types of food.  The ones who prefer sugar will be killed by the borax bait box method but they are often replaced with a meat eating species.  The meat eaters will eat anything from dead ants to human flesh.  They do not seem to like sugar so any sweet bait does not work.  The borax "bait method" does not work with them.  The answer is to create a mild borax spray formula.  Lightly spray some of the ants.  Only lightly because the trick is to have them get back to the nest before they die.  That way the other ants will consume the dead ones and also be killed by the borax.

Mine are all gone now, the ants were all over the house and in the garden. With the borax and sugar mix. 

My ants must have a sweet tooth. :hystery:

• Like 2