New hopes in the CV fight

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thought I might make a thread as new techniques and technologies are developed in the fight against the current Corona Virus outbreak.

President President alluded to this in his talk with the press today.

Here's the info https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32311760

CONCLUSION:

Riboflavin and UV light effectively reduced the titer of SARS-CoV-2 in both plasma and platelet products to below the limit of detection in tissue culture. The data suggest that the process would be effective in reducing the theoretical risk of transfusion-transmitted SARS-CoV-2.

And an article on it being used as a disinfectant too

https://source.colostate.edu/engineers-disease-researchers-moving-quickly-on-a-disinfectant-against-covid-19/

About two weeks ago, Willson and Goodrich discussed the idea of using Goodrich’s technology, which uses riboflavin, a B vitamin, and ultraviolet light to deactivate pathogens, in a different application: a commercial disinfectant spray. A cleaning product wouldn’t require the rigorous animal and human testing needed for vaccines and drugs, and such a product could be developed and vetted within days at the Rapid Prototyping Lab.

The major benefit being it's a B vitamin and UV light so no regulatory hurdles shortening the time to market, its safe and it is cheap - something third world nations require.

Who would have ever guessed vegemite and a day on the beach would save the day :tongue:

Edited by AusExpat

AusExpat
Posted
Posted

If anyone is interested here is the paper by the French guys on the second larger trial of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin and it's effectivness. The drugs are $20 for a full course.

I did not highlight it, it's from Rudy Giuliani's page and came like that.

COVID-IHU-2-1-Document.pdf

Heeb
Posted
Posted

It looks more like an out of body treatment of stored plasma to me, and the other one a disinfectant for cleaning surfaces, nothing to cure a person infected, did I read wrong?

• Like 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Heeb said:

It looks more like an out of body treatment of stored plasma to me, and the other one a disinfectant for cleaning surfaces, nothing to cure a person infected, did I read wrong?

I think you read it right . I'm guessing that it is being worked on but running the blood through a tube with UV light is an old and successful treatment, and has been used in a few bad cases of CV already.

The thing is there are multiple ways to attack this thing going on, it's not going to be around for another 18 months until a vaccine is developed, being locked up like chickens in a cage until then is the dumbest idea ever.

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another new therapy being worked on by Cedars-Sinai Hospital & AUTU Bioscience - specific bands of UVA light that penetrates the skin to kill virii and germs while not affecting the human cells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZHQbKe9TtI

The good thing is that many of these 'new' therapies will likely have far ranging applications beyond the current CV panic.

WTAF! Youtube removed this video for violating Youtube community guidelines - it's a video from a very well respected medical institution, this is rteally really bad.

Edited by AusExpat

Heeb
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AusExpat said:

I think you read it right . I'm guessing that it is being worked on but running the blood through a tube with UV light is an old and successful treatment, and has been used in a few bad cases of CV already.

The thing is there are multiple ways to attack this thing going on, it's not going to be around for another 18 months until a vaccine is developed, being locked up like chickens in a cage until then is the dumbest idea ever.

I agree, we can't stay locked up like this, it's destroying people, we should have just been wearing masks and washing hands, keeping social distance, the Swedish approach.

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife is listening to the President on her phone, I just heard him up the bounty to 50 million pesos for whomever can come up with a vaccine...we are saved.

Edited by Heeb
  • Haha 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I agree, we can't stay locked up like this, it's destroying people, we should have just been wearing masks and washing hands, keeping social distance, the Swedish approach.

The Swedish approach has not worked. Compared to Norway Denmark or Finland on a per cap basis its a disaster.

• Love it 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, RBM said:

The Swedish approach has not worked. Compared to Norway Denmark or Finland on a per cap basis its a disaster.

I guess the question is will Sweden achieve herd immunity and get this behind them and move on. Will the countries that have strict lock downs eventually get to the same numbers dragged over the course of a year and a half while they wait for a vaccine? Over time will they ease up the restrictions just like they will here, only for the virus to make a comeback and back in lockdown they and we go until there's nothing left to live for anymore.

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Heeb said:

Will the countries that have strict lock downs eventually get to the same numbers dragged over the course of a year and a half while they wait for a vaccine? Over time will they ease up the restrictions just like they will here, only for the virus to make a comeback and back in lockdown they and we go until there's nothing left to live for anymore.

New Zealand are on course and in single digit new cases per day, Australia are down to almost single digit numbers of new cases each day.

The virus can't be eliminated but the R number can be kept below 1 long enough that community transmission effectively stops.

At that point the worst of lock down can be relaxed and with social distancing people can start going back to work.

But... and it's a big but... the country needs to be rich enough and the people need to have enough support to do that.

Australia will be locked down until may problably then gradually releasing restrictions.

It's not really that long... only 6 to 9 months, and there is hope for a vaccine around that time or only a few months afterwards.

I've never been in prison but people do years, surely we can do a few months... in our own house?

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic