When will flights to the Philippines resume for the likes of you and me?

roddavis
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

With a 3 seat to a row plane (no matter if it is single aisle and 2 rows or double aisle and 3 rows) it would be carrying 2/3rds of the normal number of passengers.

That would suggest that 2/3rds of the people have to carry 3/3rds of the cost which means a 2 to 3 increase or 50% more just to account for lower passenger numbers.

However the plane should use less jet A1 fuel because it's less heavily loaded.

But they're probably going to be making less flights so the fixed costs like airport access and staff wages and plane leases will be higher per flight.

Bottom line... it could be any amount and it will be impossible to say if they're ripping us off or not.

GeoffH, that could happen. But who in there right mind is going to hop on a plane anywhere when the quarantine lifts? According to the travel and airline industry, they propose that the beginning prices will be heavily discounted from before the pandemic. Estimates talked about were 20-40% initially for possible 6 months. The reason being that John Q Public is not immediately be taking a vacation and traveling overseas due to possible money maters or vacation time burned during the pandemic. So to get the public back to flying will be to drastically reduce rates! The airlines being mostly down and taking social distancing in mind are in the process of adjusting chair configs, or Plexiglas barriers. 

The proposed configs were the middle of three seats would face backwards(center seat) and clear plexiglass barriers between the seats from where you sit up to the top of your head. Other ideas were complete reconfiguration of seats with barriers. Be interesting to see what layouts they select. I liked the looks of them cuz now I won't get stuck in the middle because both my armrests are taken, and I don't have to worry about your seat companion sleeping on my shoulders!    :56da64b24b45d_36_1_501:

• Like 5

graham59
Posted
Posted

They could also increase the cargo load...to make up any 'losses'.  

• Like 2

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Well, I hope they think this thing through very carefully. So you get through check-in and security standing one metre apart, so far so good. But then sometimes at the end of security there's a guy who starts fingering you to see if you have anything hidden under your clothes. Maybe the person he fingered before you had the virus - is the security guy going to thoroughly sanitise his hands/gloves between each traveller? :sad:

• Hmm thinking 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I suspect flights will not return to normal (or the new normal) until after a vaccine is ready. Until then, they will have to come up with something... 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tukaram (Tim) said:

come up with something... 

I saw on the news last night, one airline is proposing new seating, row of 3, 2 facing forward middle seat facing bakward. each has a plastic screen around the head area.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, GeoffH said:

However the plane should use less jet A1 fuel because it's less heavily loaded.

Geoff... right now the oil companies are paying people to take their products... so JetA should be sold from the airlines to the producers for, what, US$2/gallon? They will make a killing!!! (So to speak).

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, roddavis said:

I don't have to worry about your seat companion sleeping on my shoulders! 

I don't mind if they are female and cute... just saying...:smile:

• Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't mind if they are female and cute... just saying...:smile:

:hystery: I take it "L" is out shopping :whistling: :computerrage_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: I take it "L" is out shopping :whistling: :computerrage_40_anim_gif:

Shhhhh.... quiet... she does not always pay attention to me on the laptop if she is busy with her FaceBook!!!!:laugh:

• Haha 3

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, scott h said:

I saw on the news last night, one airline is proposing new seating, row of 3, 2 facing forward middle seat facing bakward. each has a plastic screen around the head area.

I'm tall that sounds really great. Now I get no leg room, no shoulder room and no head room.

Plus all us older guys know this never works well.....

index.jpeg

Here's another idea stop packing the planes like sardines and go back to teh older seat configs where everyone had a little room?

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic