10 Years at sea

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jake said:

I've been watching SV DELOS for the past few weeks, along with other cruising YouTube videos.  Captain Brian, his wife Karin from Sweden and new baby have been cruising Cape Town and Madagascar area for the last few months.  They are enjoyable to watch as they inspire us to go beyond our comfort zone.  They even cruised Davao and west coast Luzon.  I will try to find that video......

One thing I don't know is how they get all those lovely ladies to be crew members for their next passage.  For example Tommy T......how do I get accepted if I want to crew on your yacht for the next passage to Shangri La?  Do I bring my own weed?  

Nah... weed on a yacht - even in this century - can still lose you your yacht, money and freedom...

Just offer a pile of cash (unmarked and used $20's will do). Please, no, ahem, intimate photos? And don't tell anyone you know me!:hystery: Oh.... and bring your own food and plenty of Tanduay!

By the way... you get the midnight to 6 am watch...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I suspect that everybody can only do that life for so long.  He said in the early years they would stop and find some work to earn some money. 

Quite true for many of us - the ones who didn't have more dollars than sense, I prefer to believe.

I ran a print shop in American Samoa for a year while the ex worked in a government job.

She worked there multiple times, even when the yacht and I were in Australia and other places. I drove a small charter dive live-aboard for a while. I even took a job on a NOAA research vessel as a deckhand for a spell... Really got tired of cleaning toilets and separating very ripe garbage for overboard disposal...

After that job, I refused to clean the head (toilet) or the shower. The ex did those jobs thereafter.

However, I was the plumber/mechanic and had to remove and disassemble the head when it misbehaved.... which, unfortunately was ALWAYS after someone other than yours truly left a huge deposit for me to enjoy....

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 4/27/2020 at 10:10 AM, OnMyWay said:

In 2012 when I first got here I met a guy who apparently had done something like this.  He was selling a 40-50 footer while staying with an acquaintance.  Made it to the Philippines and burnt out.  I never got the whole story because they were sitting around smoking joints, so I skidaddled out of there!

Should have had this ID with you.:mellow:

content-1024x1024-300x300.jpg

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Nah... weed on a yacht - even in this century - can still lose you your yacht, money and freedom...

Just offer a pile of cash (unmarked and used $20's will do). Please, no, ahem, intimate photos? And don't tell anyone you know me!:hystery: Oh.... and bring your own food and plenty of Tanduay!

By the way... you get the midnight to 6 am watch...

Mid to 6 is cruel. Make it mid to 4. Much more attentive. Smoking weed on a yacht that is underway might be one of the most stupid things to do that I can think of. So is drinking to excess. Fair winds and following seas. And watch out for the red sky in the morning.:huh:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Should have had this ID with you.:mellow:

content-1024x1024-300x300.jpg

2012 or now, if you gave that to them, the PNP would be ROFL as they tossed into the hellhole they call jail here.

The guy who lived in the house, the host, ended up moving back to Canada because he could not legally smoke here.  In his case, I think he did have some illnesses it helped with with, but I also think he had been smoking for most of his life.  That sh*t will give you lung cancer just like tobacco.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 4/28/2020 at 5:03 AM, OnMyWay said:

The guy who lived in the house, the host, ended up moving back to Canada because he could not legally smoke here.  In his case, I think he did have some illnesses it helped with with, but I also think he had been smoking for most of his life.  That sh*t will give you lung cancer just like tobacco.

https://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/marijuana-lung-cancer-risk#1

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Sailing Vessel DELOS also cruised the Philippines, starting with episode 38 about 5 years ago.  I wish that I could join them.....they have some nice ladies as crew members. 

And oh by the way, they do make sure that their provision for a long passage includes some "Ganja".  I guess South Africa has got some good chit.....he, he.