Aircon, do we need it? Split from introduction topic

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Poorhex said:

Thanks! Thats some great advice.  My plan is to stay at manila ~2 month. Right now im thinking i will take some airbnb for ~350$ month.. after that i want to move somewhere province etc (i will make exact plan where when im already there). I dont like much AC thats good for me :D (should save some elec. bill also if i use fan only i guess?).

I have managed without aircon for 30 years in the Phils... fans only. No probs. You do tend to acclimatise to the heat and humidity here after a while anyway...IF you don't use aircon all the time.  It will also save you a lot of money. (electricity being disproportionately expensive here), plus (I believe) infections from bacteria, etc, in the aircon units.

Edited by graham59
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

I agree.  No one enjoys feeling hot and 'sticky', and it can be a risk to the health of some since overheating can lead to heat rash, heat stroke, etc. I do not use A/C now, due to the more traditional,  open ventilation design of our house close to the sea with daily sea  breeze. But when I lived in rented concrete houses and apartments, it was compulsory for me.... since they are in effect, solar ovens with little or no free-flow air ventilation. In these habitats, some A/C use  is usually needed just to function, never mind comfort, 

I am hoping the new home will function like yours also. It is not near the sea, but is at a higher elevation and seems to catch breezes well. It also has lots of windows on all sides for maximum air flow plus awnings... We have air/con already installed in four spaces, but there will also be ceiling fans (quality ones) and floor fans as necessary. I prefer natural cooling, too, but will bail out for air/con at night if it is stifling hot without breeze. L has an interesting reaction to fanned breezes - they make her feel ill. Yet, natural breezes do not bother her unless excessive. So running a fan for me in bed at night is not an option...

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We managed for a couple of years without A/C.  But, it became more and more uncomfortable sleeping at night and I was dripping wet when I woke up.  So, we installed an A/C there.  It made things so much more comfortable and we then added a unit for the living room and finally a 3rd for my son's room.  We really tried hard to do without it but just couldn't.  We strictly control it's usage - evening time only and set to 27.  Total monthly electric bills range from 1,800 to 2,500 per month so not too bad I think.  If we were living in a more remote/open area it would be easier I'd imagine.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Total monthly electric bills range from 1,800 to 2,500 per month so not too bad I think.  If we were living in a more remote/open area it would be easier I'd imagine.

The type of unit can make a big difference in the electric usage, we've got an older box type AC in the main bedroom in the house at CDO and it uses a lot of power, that's one of the things scheduled to be replaced during the updates.  The newer split system inverter AC units use a lot less power.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Renters don't normally have a choice.

The choice they DO have, is in what type of property they choose to rent, and the facilities available in that property.

Personally I would never CHOOSE to live in a concrete sweatbox of an apartment, whether here, or anywhere else in this world, but...'up to you'. 

My latest room...all concrete, also has large sliding windows, the mosquito mesh section of which can be opened to let fresh air in, and windows placed for maximum throughflow of air, helped by fans.   

Look to the locals first, for tips on living COOLER. They've had a lot of practice.   :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Look to the locals first, for tips on living COOLER. They've had a lot of practice.   :thumbsup:

You are absolutely correct, Graham. That's why the people living in the provinces and rural areas live in bamboo huts/houses with thatch roofs. In every country I visited in the Pacific, that was the common style of abode. Yes, of course, wealth - or lack of - had a lot to do with it too. The wealthier tended to the plywood or hollow block were constructed for the well off. They also withstood cyclone or typhoon conditions better for the most part. The bamboo and thatch were simply built anew.

But I spent time in both styles and the native huts were definitely cooler during the day and in the evenings when we shared food or kava...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

My house is designed to do without air-con. Ground floor has 7 double windows and a double front entrance door and a rear entrance door all have mosquito screens and security bars so I can leave the doors and windows open. Same with the bedrooms on the second floor, they have a double door that lead onto the balcony. All the rooms have ceiling fans remote controlled.

Top floor is completely open apart from the firewall and only 200 meters from the sea we get a lovely sea breeze.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

The type of unit can make a big difference in the electric usage, we've got an older box type AC in the main bedroom in the house at CDO and it uses a lot of power, that's one of the things scheduled to be replaced during the updates.  The newer split system inverter AC units use a lot less power.

We have a 1hp inverter split type in the BR and a 1.5hp split type  inverter in the LR - my son's BR has a 0.6hp window type.  I keep on top of cleaning and am happy with the performance/cost. 

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think I'd spend nearly as much on electric using the washing machine to wash the sheets everyday after they'd been covered in sweat if I slept without aircon.
Used to be fine in the day without when I lived by the sea with a breeze, it's not fun in Manila though. 

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 2