ABS-CBN off the air

jimeve
Posted
Posted

There were a lot of poor Filipinos who watched abs-cbn on terrestrial TV free to air channel, Seems daft to close it down when there is a lock-down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

lcruz
Posted
Posted

It was sad for many and for me personally because its my favorite network.

But it come to my realization to those people who felt "very sad" of these 11k plus staff loosing their jobs at this point of time. Well, before this ABS-CBS shutdown, did anybody noticed those who were jobless because of covid-19? who was retrenched and who can't eventually work because of this whole situation? No, no one noticed them, why ? because they don't belong to a big company as ABS, and they are not going too hysterical and ask the whole world for help.

I mean I don't have anything against ABS or the government, I just don';t understand why people reacted as if they can't live without that network.
It helps us with entertainment yes, but it's not like the food that we eat to survive.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, lcruz said:

It was sad for many and for me personally because its my favorite network.

But it come to my realization to those people who felt "very sad" of these 11k plus staff loosing their jobs at this point of time. Well, before this ABS-CBS shutdown, did anybody noticed those who were jobless because of covid-19? who was retrenched and who can't eventually work because of this whole situation? No, no one noticed them, why ? because they don't belong to a big company as ABS, and they are not going too hysterical and ask the whole world for help.

I mean I don't have anything against ABS or the government, I just don';t understand why people reacted as if they can't live without that network.
It helps us with entertainment yes, but it's not like the food that we eat to survive.

Just a thought.

Plenty of us noticed those without work due to Covid-19 - there were repeated comments on this very forum including some generous members donating food to those in need.  Regardless, 11k people losing their jobs at any time, never mind now, is a major event.

I'm not at all fussed but I suppose it's akin to losing the BBC in the UK - yes, we can live without it but it's a big part of many/most people's life's and would be felt.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, lcruz said:

Closing a major source of news during a country-wide lockdown seems pretty short sighted, and petty, to me.  

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Simply idiotic, and demonstrates just how out of touch with the 'ordinary' (as in 100 million) people, the upper echelons are. 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

The road to dictatorships are usually trodden slowly, step by step, rather than at a gallop.

• Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1