Westerners complaining about Filipino issues that also affect them.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: But many do or at least that is the impression sometimes I get :smile:

They try Jack, they try.  I'll admit I'm sometimes guilty of it myself, but the longer I live here, the more I realise it isn't changing because those who could make the change don't want to for obvious reasons.  

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

These days I avoid talking as much as possible

This is the correct response (and what online forums like this one are for)

graham59
Posted
Posted

I guess I just enjoy living in mainly useless or broken shit.  :whatever:

• Haha 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've been noticing a few heated discussions lately on local Facebooks, pretty much to the stage where things are getting out of hand between Westerners ( Foreigners) and locals.

I thought Arizona Kid did not have a Facebook account! :whistling:

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted

I think we all should adapt attitude that we are guests in someone else’s land, if we don’t like it then we simply go somewhere else. We have no right to voice an opinion on another countries politics, policies or whatever, I don’t think Filipinos living in the UK, Australia or Southern Canada would get much of a voice in this regard?

Also given the Fiasco with COVID-19 in Southern Canada and the UK those of us who are American or British really are not in a great position to criticize other countries policies.

On a slightly lighter note, around 20 years ago in London we had this woman creating a god almighty fuss, demanded to see the most senior manager in charge. So I was called into assist, she was 3 hours late for an appointment and was complaining the person she had an appointment with was not available. She then gave me a lecture about all the terrible things about living in the UK, when I could get a word in edgeways, I said madam I have a solution you. She said what,  and I got up and said Heathrow is over there, pointing my arm the general direction. We never did see here again......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

I think we all should adapt attitude that we are guests in someone else’s land, if we don’t like it then we simply go somewhere else. We have no right to voice an opinion on another countries politics, policies or whatever, I don’t think Filipinos living in the UK, Australia or Southern Canada would get much of a voice in this regard?

From reading previous and ongoing topics, I think you are mostly preaching to the choir here LUFC. Most members agree with your statements. Those who don't really should consider finding another venue. No, it's far from perfect here, but it is generally okay - better than okay, actually, it's fine with me. Both L - full blood Filipina - and I simply try a little here and there to coax improvements if we think they are possible.

Personally, I am impressed with the efforts I observe with the attempts to control the virus here - especially in Davao City. I can LIVE(!) with the quarantines as long as they take.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Old55 said:

I'm sorry to hear that Geoff. Good that it ended reasonably well.

I'm curious if others have been intentionally setup or trolled by a Filipino looking to start an argument?

From my experience NO mostly Filipinos will ovoid confrontations unless fueled by alcohol. This I would consider an isolated case.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, stevewool said:

I tried to change the way folk had lived for years , yes in my mind it was going to be cleaner, safer and a better environment for them and also for me to live in , at first it was going to be wonderful and all was happy but it changed.

My way was to clean it seemed, they did not mind the drains blocking ,water leaking , people just wondering in , other people abusing what was there.

Now the only change is I have no interest in what I was trying to do over there and I have moved on now.

Something inherent in the culture Steve makes it very difficult to assist in the long term. Short term band aids are OK.

My partners sister have been struggling financially recently as the husband is down to 3 days a week work, they get by but nothing to spare.  I have bought them a couple bags of rice to help, they did not request and appeared to appreciate this. 

They have the usual few pigs and a hoard of chickens, my partner is keen on gardening so i had her request them to gather up some chicken waste for us as fertilizer......Well this was over a month ago, in spite of several reminders still waiting....

its just how it is, like it not nothing I can do will change it, no more rice though.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I for one can see changes happening in the local communities brought about by this virus.  Problems that people had been highlighting in the past and were being told "if you don't like it go home" are now seriously affecting the locals as they're now at home with no work.

Many locals were too busy earning a living to see what was going on about them and if most Westerners were honest the good things that keep them here have been brought about by people complaining. 

I keep out of the arguments but recognise a few names and have a quiet chuckle to myself when I see the same locals that last year were telling people to go home now complaining about the very things the foreigners complained about. I've been very tempted to tell them to go home lol.

• Hmm thinking 1