Westerners complaining about Filipino issues that also affect them.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

My local community has an HOA.  The HOA rules specifically exclude foreigners from being part of the HOA board.  That's as clear a message as you could get about the attitude towards foreigners input into domestic matters.  On the flip side, foreigners are required to pay the HOA fees like locals!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

I don’t think Filipinos living in the UK, Australia or Southern Canada would get much of a voice in this regard

At least they can buy land, though.

28 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My local community has an HOA.  The HOA rules specifically exclude foreigners from being part of the HOA board.  That's as clear a message as you could get about the attitude towards foreigners input into domestic matters.  On the flip side, foreigners are required to pay the HOA fees like locals!  

And many locals don't pay because they can't do anything to them except put a lien on their property in case they sell...and they never sell.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 5/6/2020 at 9:41 AM, GeoffH said:

These days I avoid talking as much as possible, even about subjects which aren't about the Philippines as much as possible.

It is such a shame that it is this way and I agree.  I have gotten to this point unless I know the person well and we are away from anyone who could overhear me talking.

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 5/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, Old55 said:

I'm curious if others have been intentionally setup or trolled by a Filipino looking to start an argument?

Yep. Asked a simple question on Facebook about whether ABS-CBN needed a license to stream their news. An anti-Duterte (!) college kid jumped on me and then came back later and tried again after I didn't take his bait.

Screenshot_FB.png

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Shady said:

At least they can buy land, though.

And many locals don't pay because they can't do anything to them except put a lien on their property in case they sell...and they never sell.

We do have a problem with collecting fees but it's as much because about 35% or more of the properties are empty. In addition, it seems the HOA is toothless when trying to get unpaid fees.  They do blacklist properties which means no garbage collection but it's not effective as the garbage collectors don't have time to check lists.  If it were me, I'd put a padlock on the water meter.  The water company does this if the bill is not paid so the HOA should do the same.  They won't though. I'd suggest it but foreigners have no voice on the HOA! 

• Sad 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Westerners are taught that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Filipinos are taught that the nail that stands out gets hammered down.

Makes sense, the result of a middle-class population spread out over a large area vs a dense, crowded, poor population.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

Makes sense, the result of a middle-class population spread out over a large area vs a dense, crowded, poor population.

But, this is not a Filipino thing, it's the case all over Asia including Japan, China etc 

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

But, this is not a Filipino thing, it's the case all over Asia including Japan, China etc 

In some ways, yes. But in other ways the Japanese are as far from Filipinos as you can get, hyper-competitive and obsessed with success to the point of nearly leading the world in suicide.

• Like 1