We're really very fortunate

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I don't think anybody knows how it will be dealt with. Ya gotta cut some slack. :huh:

Friend left on a repatriation flight recently. Was over due on tourist visa due to lock down, paid a fine at airport immigration.

• I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, RBM said:

Friend left on a repatriation flight recently. Was over due on tourist visa due to lock down, paid a fine at airport immigration.

Paid a fine or just brought his visa current?  I would expect the BI would require someone with a lapsed visa who is leaving to bring it current before departure.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Hobbit112 said:

Paid a fine or just brought his visa current?  I would expect the BI would require someone with a lapsed visa who is leaving to bring it current before departure.

He paid to bring visa current plus an over due penalty. Surprising as it was well publicized there would be no penalty. 

He did not argue as happy to get out.

• Sad 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RBM said:

Did he say how much?:mellow:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The other choice is they are detained as over stayers and then deported (which would probably make it difficult to return).

That's what's nice about having an SRRV visa. No exit requirements. :biggrin:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

That's what's nice about having an SRRV visa. No exit requirements. :biggrin:

Also true for the 13A visa.  I was even able to send someone to do my annual report using a limited power of attorney. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, RBM said:

He paid to bring visa current plus an over due penalty. Surprising as it was well publicized there would be no penalty. 

He did not argue as happy to get out.

As you said its well publicised there are no fines for not renewing on time. Makes me wonder if other issues were at play like perhaps already behind on his visa before any lockdown? 

• Hmm thinking 1

peterfe
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, graham59 said:

It's really quite simple.

The government will give a date by which time all foreigners in the country will need to have 'regularised' their visa/residency status.

So far, 30 days grace has been indicated, which should be plenty (and is pretty much the present norm anyway).

No need to talk about breaking the law here.  

Well, I hope you're right for the sake of those poor souls whose three years will be up soon, but I'm not so sure. I don't know if I would risk it. There is a difference: if you've been here for 1-2 years, you have a right to renew - you'll just be paying late. If you've been here for 3, you're not supposed to be here.

If it got to the stage where you had to apologise and make a case for not having left, it would surely be an advantage to be a senior - as they seem to think that seniors are likely to drop dead if they go for a walk outside their house, it wouldn't be hard to convince them that you probably wouldn't survive a trip to the UK/US or wherever. (Whereas the statistics show that only about 15% die from Covid-19 even among the 'over 80s', which includes those who are 99)

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, peterfe said:

Well, I hope you're right for the sake of those poor souls whose three years will be up soon, but I'm not so sure. I don't know if I would risk it. There is a difference: if you've been here for 1-2 years, you have a right to renew - you'll just be paying late. If you've been here for 3, you're not supposed to be here.

If it got to the stage where you had to apologise and make a case for not having left, it would surely be an advantage to be a senior - as they seem to think that seniors are likely to drop dead if they go for a walk outside their house, it wouldn't be hard to convince them that you probably wouldn't survive a trip to the UK/US or wherever. (Whereas the statistics show that only about 15% die from Covid-19 even among the 'over 80s', which includes those who are 99)

I was not able to find any information as to grace period, penalties, etc for the scenario describe here (three years up during lockdown).  I have sent an email to the BOI in Cebu City requesting clarification.  I will post back here any response that I might receive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

As you said its well publicised there are no fines for not renewing on time. Makes me wonder if other issues were at play like perhaps already behind on his visa before any lockdown? 

No definitely not, he is very strict about visa matters, will ask him what he paid as fine. My initiall thinking would be an unscrupulous agent at airport as last point of exit. Currently he is enjoying 14 days  5 star service in Auckland at tax payers expense. All meals yoga classes and other entertainments provided.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic