How long has it been like this?

peterfe
Posted
Posted

My partner has wondered a couple of times if the immigration rules will change when the Philippines gets a new president. Of course, nobody knows that, but I was wondering how long it has been so straightforward to stay here as a "tourist" with a visa run every three years. Was it like this under the previous president, and the one before? Was there a time when you had to do a visa run much more often, or even (groan!) only be allowed to stay for 180 days in every year, as in some other countries? 

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Always been like this give or take a few minor amendments to the rules.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Was only 2 years until about 4-5(?) years ago, but basically very hassle free compared to other countries, yes. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Was only 2 years until about 4-5(?) years ago, but basically very hassle free compared to other countries, yes. 

I will second Brett's comment regarding being hassle free compared to other countries. Just look at USA, Australia, New Zealand, Shengen countries in Europe. So many other countries' immigration policies are much more restrictive than here. That's one of the many reasons I decided to settle here.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

It must have been a while before that because I started my 3 years in 2012, and I knew about the 3 year rule sometime before that.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It must have been a while before that because I started my 3 years in 2012, and I knew about the 3 year rule sometime before that.

Yeah, now that I think on it, I was was still studying when it changed so you're probably right.  Regardless, it's been the same for a very long time in one form or another. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info, sounds good. I remember looking at the rules for various other countries many years ago, and I think the second best one after the Philippines was Peru, where a UK citizen could stay for 180 days, then do a visa run, and start another 180 days. And there were several Latin American countries where you'd have to cross the border every 90 days. So three years is quite exceptional!

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I moved over here full time in 2013. One of the deciding factors in choosing the PIs over Thailand was the ease of long stay tourist. 

Each president may make some changes, but so far it has been pretty steady. The president before D made some changes lengthening our stay.  If they ever get a good economy here... I could see it tightening up some, but figure the odds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
BigEn
Posted
Posted

During 2002 - 2005 Philippines visa run for tourist was every year.  Then it went to two years then three years.  Does anyone remember the effective years?