social distancing and common sense

peterfe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

There is a big debate at the moment around SARS-Cov2-19 and whether it spreads by just Droplet infection or by both Droplet infection and aerosol infection, I really don't know and I doubt we''ll know for a while yet.  

That brings me to my point about common sense, which would suggest that even if aerosol spreading occurs, it is much less likely to cause infection. So until someone convinces me otherwise, I would say it involves an extremely small risk to talk to a shop assistant at a normal distance.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I wish governments (around the world) would stop using the word 'airborne' when it comes to SARS-Cov-2 because it just confuses people.

Also they should stop using "social distancing", the accurate term is "physical distancing".

/rant

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, peterfe said:

So until someone convinces me otherwise, I would say it involves an extremely small risk to talk to a shop assistant at a normal distance.

Peter... not trying to sound like a wiseacre here...:smile: Your reasoning may be sound. You are, certainly, not the only one with your thinking...

However, I guess maybe you might take that "extremely small risk" and give it a try? Let us know how you are doing during the next 14 days or so after your close encounter of the 1st kind?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, peterfe said:

That brings me to my point about common sense, which would suggest that even if aerosol spreading occurs, it is much less likely to cause infection. So until someone convinces me otherwise, I would say it involves an extremely small risk to talk to a shop assistant at a normal distance.

I think some consensis exists that points to droplet spreading being the primary vector but I haven't seen any studies around how likely aerosol spreading is to cause infections if it exists with SARS-Cov-19.

There are some guidelines around time of exposure (in Australia that's currently 15 minutes nearby to an infected person and then the Covid Safe app on your phone will activate) but from what I've been able to gather that's more based around viruses that are known to spread by aerosol infection.

I think it's premature to assume that the risk is 'extremely small' and I suspect that if it is a factor in infection then it would vary with time of exposure and the environment you were in.

A small enclosed area eg a taxi with an infected driver and a 30 minute taxi journey should be a higher risk than a 5 minute shop visit with an infected shop assistant.

• Like 1

peterfe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Peter... not trying to sound like a wiseacre here...:smile: Your reasoning may be sound. You are, certainly, not the only one with your thinking...

However, I guess maybe you might take that "extremely small risk" and give it a try? Let us know how you are doing during the next 14 days or so after your close encounter of the 1st kind?

Haha :biggrin: As I'm over 65, I won't be rubbing cheeks with any salesgirls for some time to come, even under GCQ. So I'm afraid you'll have to wait quite a bit to see whether I drop dead after 14 days (I'll try to post my dying words on this forum before I go).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Shady said:

Also they should stop using "social distancing", the accurate term is "physical distancing".

Social distancing, also called “physical distancing,” means keeping space between yourself and other people outside of your home. To practice social or physical distancing:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/social-distancing.html

To MA toes  . .  To MAH toes

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Yeochief said:

I have learned over the years that common sense is not so common.

“If common sense were lard most folks couldn’t grease a skillet.”

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)

This will become interesting as we kickoff the 2020 typhoon season with Tropical Depression AMBO (intensifying into Tropical Storm) tracking towards Central Luzon.  How will NDRRMC and local DRRM handle "social distancing" in evacuation centers? 

Edited by ITGeek
  • Hmm thinking 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic