The various costs of keeping a house dog/s in the PI

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I always wonder if I could save much money if we didn't have 2 dogs to support. Even though we feed them pretty cheaply and get free vaccinations every year.....

Some friends keep more than one or two and feed them premium food but their budgets cover it OK. But I do know fellows who were hit hard by their home country pension currency devaluations in the last few years and really have to keep an eye on all costs.

So do you think that keeping a dog or two here adds very much to your monthly budget?

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

We have 3 dogs the sister has the Oldest named Whitney, we have the daughter named Amaya and the daughters son originally named Gizmo due to the white fur on his head but he grew and grew and is now named Arnie !! he is now mummys Baby ! we feed them twice a day ,chicken liver and rice and varied with pork bits. we also buy them Biscuits for there afternoon treats and also pedigree chewsticks for their saturday treat and after they have been bathed.

overall a months bill for the dogs inc food treats shampoos etc costs around 3000 pesos. we dont have children and the dogs protect us etc money well spent. I can understand others not being able to have dogs because of the cost etc, we love our dogs, they are not tied up or caged etc they have the run of the homes and the area.

• Like 3
  • Love it 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Jack is the truly knowledgeable forum member to do with dogs here. I agree with him dogs are part of our family. 

Many years ago my family had a German Shepard that we all loved. He was well cared for fed fish and some rice but got heart worm and passed. 

Quality food will cost money. I remember buying ProPlan bagged food in Cebu City it was priced about 30% more than in US.

• Like 4

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

We have 10 shih tzus, don't think the food costs much. Maybe 5k per month, my wife seems to buy the most expensive food she can get her hands on.

dogs.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love it 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

fototek1
Posted
Posted

Shit thats alot of Shihtzus

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, fototek1 said:

Shit thats alot of Shihtzus

With the bars in front it looks like a Zoo...

Edited by GeoffH

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 5/11/2020 at 11:56 AM, Old55 said:

Jack is the truly knowledgeable forum member to do with dogs here. I agree with him dogs are part of our family. 

Many years ago my family had a German Shepard that we all loved. He was well cared for fed fish and some rice but got heart worm and passed. 

Quality food will cost money. I remember buying ProPlan bagged food in Cebu City it was priced about 30% more than in US.

I don't agree with Jack about many things. But his love for dogs softens the fact that he doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time!:hystery: 

• Haha 3