Is linguistic sarcasm used or common in the PI ?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I love the sarcasm when I ask for something and they say "Yes Sir" then disappear never to be seen again. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

An interesting point though is, to what degree do people here recognize it as such.

Sarcasm (noun) is to say the opposite of what is happening at the time. It is as a type of humour, usually used to make fun of someone.

Now you will recognize the sarcasm when a Filipina says: "Its up to you"

• Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:
sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/

noun
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"

I took the liberty to look it up.  I can see why Filipinos might not like having it delivered to their faces. When you openly mock or show contempt for another here, it is not easily brushed or blown off like it might be elsewhere.

This is a a fairly negative definition, although it may right.  I grew up in a sarcastic family where we used sarcasm as a fun way to make fun of each other.  Sharp sarcasm requires a sharp mind to understand and know what it is.  As I grew older and moved into the real world, I found that that there was not a lot of middle ground.  Either people didn't understand the humor and thought I was an idiot, or they did understand it, and laughed or jumped in.

1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Sarcasm (noun) is to say the opposite of what is happening at the time. It is as a type of humour, usually used to make fun of someone.

Dave's definition is more along the lines of what I grew up with.  Making fun of family / friends who would understand and be able to comeback.

Now, as described by others, it is harder to find Filipinos who will understand hard sarcasm, so I try to refrain.  My family does understand a bit but sometimes I can see them thinking "is he serious or making fun?" and then if not sure, they will ask.  My older daughter and my wife sometimes use it a bit now, but usually for a very obvious point.

I have close Filipino friend who is very sharp and every once in a while I let one slip on him, and he laughs.  We have discussed it and he agrees, most Filipinos don't engage in it the same way that some foreigners do.

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

It has been my experience that sarcasm is seldom understood except by the very best of English speakers (a bit like some types of humor) YMMV.

I agree except to say that WESTERN sarcasm is not understood. Sarcasm in Filipino or the various dialects (and every language in the world) is probably very common, as is wordplay. Any humor above slapstick is lost on the under-educated of all nations.

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted

When I was young in my early 20s newly in my career I learned quickly about sarcasm.  Coworkers and bosses seemed to always outdo each other with it.  I wanted to fit in and tried my hand at it but just not quick enough for the many others with their comebacks.  I actually found most of it hurtful to always be putting down and made fun of.  It took me a while and finally I realized that the sarcastic ones I worked with were really going no where and that was their way of coping with their own failures.  Instead of helping someone when they were making mistakes they would us sarcasm while in a group to put that person down. Although I do enjoy a good joke and joking around at times  I decided sarcasm  was not for me and never use it unless with a very close friend and then careful that it would not be hurtful.  When my wife moved to the states with me she was still developing her english which is hard enough without all the added slang, sarcasm, and accents.  While watching some sitcoms on TV she started hearing sarcasm and although I agreed a little could be funny, she noted some shows every comment by almost every actor on the sitcoms was sarcastic.  When visiting her family I tried a few to be funny and noticed it just went over their heads.  A little boring at times but since they did not understand the sarcasm or even small jokes I decided not to waste my time and look foolish.(comes easy enough for me as it is)  My wife comes from a simple family and they sure have enough laughter and fun all the time with friends and family without the sarcasm.

• Like 5

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Most humor, other than slapstick, is dependant on understanding the language, and in many cases, culture.  To master sarcasm in English would require a better mastery of English than most of them have (or many native English speakers for that matter). They seem to joke more in their own language, understandably enough. I do not know if there is much sarcasm or not.  My wife says they are sarcastic between friends, but more careful around others. 

My wife has a sharp wit and is very sarcastic... or she just does not like me ha ha

Yeah. What Tim said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

This is a a fairly negative definition, although it may right.  I grew up in a sarcastic family where we used sarcasm as a fun way to make fun of each other.  Sharp sarcasm requires a sharp mind to understand and know what it is.  As I grew older and moved into the real world, I found that that there was not a lot of middle ground.  Either people didn't understand the humor and thought I was an idiot, or they did understand it, and laughed or jumped in.

https://simplicable.com/new/sarcasm

I see your point re family use. The more I explored it, the more variety I discovered. Banter exchange between family members or friends may be one of its milder forms since intent is different.

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Banter exchange

Ask our Scottish members about banter. I guess everyone does it but I didn't realize it for what it was until I watched Still Game. :smile:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Most humor, other than slapstick, is dependant on understanding the language, and in many cases, culture.  To master sarcasm in English would require a better mastery of English than most of them have (or many native English speakers for that matter). They seem to joke more in their own language, understandably enough. I do not know if there is much sarcasm or not.  My wife says they are sarcastic between friends, but more careful around others. 

My wife has a sharp wit and is very sarcastic... or she just does not like me ha ha

Looking back on the posts here, I agree with Tim that a complete and detailed understanding of the language is required for understanding sarcasm.  Also any kind word play, puns, etc.

So it is a bit unfair to judge Filipinos on their understanding of English sarcasm.  It can be very subtle or in your face, so it likely to be misunderstood by people who's native tongue is not English.  My Filipino friend that I mentioned is very worldly and lived overseas where his primary language was English, so he probably is able to get most of it.

I have never been good with other languages.  I had a friend who had a knack for language and spoke 7 or 8, I think.  However, he probably could only understand sarcasm in his 3 primary languages, English, Spanish and Portuguese.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3