Is linguistic sarcasm used or common in the PI ?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

" Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit".......dont know where that came from, but it's a saying.

But what's the difference between Sarcasm and Banter?

Before I retired from work we would experience a lot of Banter, which I would define as comical or fun remarks.

On the other hand Sarcasm to me, is when you use unpleasant remarks to disagree or humiliate a person.

If you get my drift :rolleyes: ( really,) sarcasm?

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

is when you use unpleasant remarks to disagree or humiliate a person

Yes, but growing up as the youngest, with 3 older sisters, I got quiet good at it!

Shady
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

But what's the difference between Sarcasm and Banter?

Basically, sarcasm is when you say one thing but mean something else, often the opposite. If I use it with Filipinos, that's how they understand it as a joke,  they call it "opposite". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, but growing up as the youngest, with 3 older sisters, I got quite good at it!

To me that's funny.....however I bet your sisters didn't find it funny.......sometimes people will laugh along with it, when really inside they are hurting.

My wife will soon tell me if I make a remark she doesn't like, even if it's true! as we all know Filipino's dont like to lose face.

She knows I can't stand the silent treatment that follows. Another saying is"If you can't say anything nice best to say nothing at all. :cheersty:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Kuya John said:

To me that's funny.....however I bet your sisters didn't find it funny.......sometimes people will laugh along with it, when really inside they are hurting.

Oh, no, you got it backwards!  I was the one that took the beating, as I remember it!  They could dish it out as well as take it.  My younger sister and her friends would play pranks on me and my friends all the time, so their was constant retribution going on.  My sisters and I are still close, to this day.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Oh, no, you got it backwards!  I was the one that took the beating, as I remember it!  They could dish it out as well as take it.  My younger sister and her friends would play pranks on me and my friends all the time, so their was constant retribution going on.  My sisters and I are still close, to this day.

Please to hear it Don, so now we have Sarcasm, Banter and Pranks, which I guess didn't have long term effect's, similar but different.

Wait till the your girls start to tease you. :hystery:

Edited by Kuya John

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

Wait till the your girls start to tease you.

No need to wait!

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

No need to wait!

:clapping_80_anim_gif:............Another saying.....what goes round comes round. :cryingwhilelaughing_anim:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Perhaps this is sarcasm?  From Cakewrecks.com!

97154983_10222534667861344_294273523986202624_n.jpg

Edited by OnMyWay

KC813
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kuya John said:

" Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit".......dont know where that came from, but it's a saying.

According to brother Google, from Oscar Wilde.  

Interestingly, the whole quote is, "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence", but as you all pointed out, only if you have mastered the language.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1