A Comparable Game for Current Travelers

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I would like to go back to my country of origin for the usual 6 months, but even if things here eventually allow for departure, I'm not so sure the parts of the USA I will be transiting through will seem familiar anymore. It appears our national policy is to be compulsory game playing for all who have to travel or work. See classic clip, but imagine you're surrounded by Occidental heavies instead of Asian ones.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCW9NsrV6VM

I wish I could solve the problem as easily and quickly as DeNiro and Walken did, delivering deserved justice to those responsible for the forced game play we all have to face now.... so much for my fantasy solution for those responsible in my now irrational homeland. 

:5590:                              :571b119686cf7_1(72):

I really have to quit following the US news for awhile.

• Sad 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I guess that post was ambiguous and probably misleading. I apologize for injecting it.

The point that concerned me was that, since there is no way to know whether or not the people you come into contact with in places that didn't handle the pandemic expediently and with reasonable effectiveness.... you are inadvertently placing a virus possibility chamber to your head and have to pull the trigger. 

I would like to travel home, but will have to pass through SEA or LAX and then sit in a plane for 5 hours with my fellow Americans from all over the nation.  Unlike the PI and Taiwan that I will pass  through, the USA hasn't done a very effective job at containing this virus.

The USA testing and isolation practices are not very reassuring to me at this point. Especially when you consider that there are plenty of unreported or asymptomatic infected individuals still roaming free with many of the individual states and cities re-opening. Many aren't wearing masks and freely congregating in places it still seems. 

With limited prevention measures, no way of knowing who has the virus but is unaware, re-infection and no guarantee of immunity for those who have/had it, no cure or vaccine....... all I can conclude is that, to mix is to engage in invisible Russian Roulette games with everyone you meet in the USA.  

I guess I might have to stay put for a year or two here now, or sit down in a plane (at the table) and hope that the chambers come up empty for my turn.

I feel relatively well protected here in the PI with a low and tolerable risk level  and now dread returning to my home country when that day comes.  Yes, it seems the metaphoric heavies in the clip are now like some of my very own countrymen, and that is quite depressing.  Guess I'm having a bad day and hoping it will pass. 

Don't take my rant seriously. since I watch far too much global news and on occasion let it affect my more impulsive writing moods.  I wish I could laugh.... time to go spend some time with our quarantined 4 year old house guest of the last 10 weeks.  She always good for an uplift.      :56da64a10ceee_1(235):

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I feel relatively well protected here in the PI with a low and tolerable risk level  and now dread returning to my home country when that day comes.  Yes, it seems the metaphoric heavies in the clip are now like some of my very own countrymen, and that is quite depressing.  Guess I'm having a bad day and hoping it will pass. 

Don't take my rant seriously. since I watch far too much global news and on occasion let it affect my more impulsive writing moods.  I wish I could laugh.... time to go spend some time with our quarantined 4 year old house guest of the last 10 weeks.  She always good for an uplift.

First, Man... no reason to apologize, at least as far as I am concerned. We are all a bit confused at times by conflicting information, wrong information and rumours that abound.

We are all stressed to one degree or another by this strange confluence of disease and other issues going on here and globally.

We all have our lows and highs and maybe just need to sometimes perform a TV- or computernews-ectomy? I just let loose with my rant and now you have let fly with one too... welcome to the club!!! As someone pointed out in the forum just a few days ago, this makes for a great outlet for irritation, fear, anger, puzzlement (and don't forget hunger!!!). Your bad day will pass...

And I agree that it seems to be much safer here - virus-wise - than USA and many other places these days. I also agree that the USA really dropped the ball at the beginning and is struggling to catch up. Already the finger pointing is rampant and soon the lawsuits and public recriminations will become the next pandemic! I still think the Philippines, by and large, have done a great job controlling the virus - but we will have to see if this is really the truth or merely a sad illusion? So far, I see it as true. ~51 mln souls here and something just over 11,000 infections? Compare to USA - ~326 mln(?) souls and well over 1 mln infections?...

Yesterday L - bless her heart - was able to find some Tanduay using a tricycle driver who has his finger on the pulse of the neighbourhood. So things are looking up here. It will be heavily rationed... but it will work.

Ingat, stay healthy and enjoy play time with the infant!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I guess that post was ambiguous and probably misleading. I apologize for injecting it.

No apologies, I think sometimes we need to talk to someone else who understands us. To say to a Filipino you don't want to go to the US for any reason would seem crazy to them whereas other westerners can understand. I'd like to think these forums are a support system at times.

Take some time off the news and spend it like you said, get some sunlight while you're at it, it's a known tonic for good spirits. I just took a week off and worked on the car for 12 hours a day for similar reasons to your own. Car looks great and I feel better not sitting on my backside all week.

And just remember that the news (all news) is there to promote eye catching headlines, they need eyeballs to make revenue. Been that way forever, here's an Aussie band Skyhooks with 1974 lyrics

Horror movie right there on my TV
Horror movie and it's blown a fuse
Horror movie, it's the six-thirty news

The public's waitin
For the killin and the hatin
Switch on the station - oh yeah
They do a lotta sellin
Between the firin and the yellin
And you believe in what they're tellin - oh yeah

:)

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We quit watching TV “news” last year. We both feel 100% better and haven’t missed anything that affects us. 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

haven’t missed anything that affects us. 

So you must have missed the headline about China buying Guam, Hawaii and Alaska two weeks ago? Yeah... I guess that might not affect you near Seattle...:Caught:

(Okay, okay... should have been posted under sarcasm... There I go again...Bad Tommy!!!:ohmy:)

• Haha 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

So you must have missed the headline about China buying Guam, Hawaii and Alaska two weeks ago? Yeah... I guess that might not affect you near Seattle...:Caught:

(Okay, okay... should have been posted under sarcasm... There I go again...Bad Tommy!!!:ohmy:)

Vancouver too, that should worry Seattle! ;)