Have we learnt anything these last few months?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scott h said:

saw a meme on FB the other day, but cant find it again. Basically,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"we are homeschooling our kids, and found out we are raising a couple of idiots...……" well it was funny when I saw it :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Dang it Scott, you made me blow coffee out my nose again. :hystery:  This was so funny my wife asked me why I was laughing.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Ive learnt its easy to get by and do very little.. although I have contunued to walk 10kms every day. no one ever stopped or questioned me walking the streets of Makati.

Ive found its easy to fall into a routine of doing same every day, and perhaps drinking more than i should.

Ive learnt that I dont need the malls on my doorstep and whilst Ive saved a lot in past few months by not going to malls Ive lost lots on all my portfolio that will take a while to recover.

Ive also learnt that whilst I enjoy living here, and have had a very long association with Philippines,  and it certainly has its benefits for a single guy maybe its time ( when things move again) to try and split my time here and maybe somewhere in Europe. The way the govt treats its citizens like children, represses the press and an individuals freedom of speech, plus a few other less attractive traits of living here  then maybe its time to review how long I stay here each and every year in the future.

Great table making though Sr !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure I've learned much to be honest.  The lack of ability to organise and communicate is not new information.  An example - today, for the 1st time, we will be getting an emergency package - better late than never springs to mind!  Will I stockpile food etc -no.  The supply of everything has remained stable and we have wanted for nothing - of course,alcohol is the exception but that wasn't a supply issue as we know.  One thing I did notice was that having to rely on public transport has been a challenge but not insurmountable.  I have started to use online banking as much as I can so that's a move forward.  

On a positive slant - this place seems to be held together with a bandaid, an elastic band and a lot of optimism. This has all held together even during these challenging times.  

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Here is another one

How much does it cost you to make one?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Clermont said:

How much does it cost you to make one?

Labor of course is free.  The mahogany for the legs and rails is reclaimed from a deck we needed to replace due to termites and decay.  So our out of pocket cost is the mostly tile and finish.  A 60x60 tile runs about 250 peso each. Hudson Top Coat finish is about 300 peso per litre.  A couple hundred more for screws, wood filler, sandpaper, etc.   So maybe 1000 for the coffee table and 1500 for the larger table.  I have not purchased mahogany so I have no idea what it would cost if purchased.  Any wood would have to well seasoned or kiln dried to prevent warping or shrinking.  In the USA, old growth mahogany is no longer available as "new" wood.  Or at least that was the case prior to our move here.  Reclaimed wood can be found but you need to have deep pockets to buy it, especially if you want larger sizes. 

• Like 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I would add Ive also learnt that everything I need to know, or wanted to know, or could learn about, has a You Tube video showing me what to do , how to do it etc.

I think many have probably learnt that the role of the Church may have diminished as people have done without it.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've further learned that prayer is a poor subsititue for action.

For some it will be the only food they will receive, unless it comes from compassionate people.

5 hours ago, Freebie said:

I would add Ive also learnt that everything I need to know, or wanted to know, or could learn about,

I think many have probably learnt that the role of the Church may have diminished as people have done without it.

Take alook around the world, they have more likely loss faith with the Governments.

Anyway I've learnt to be more patient with people :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
spelling
  • Like 5

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic