Have we learnt anything these last few months?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It has whacked me hard in many ways.

-- My retirement accounts are way down in value.  I don't need the money right now, but it will take a few years to come back, after the economy gets going.  If my accounts had continued to do well, that is money I could have used for my family.

I know the feeling. My business came to a halt almost within a day or so of lockdown. No more guests allowed in the buildings that I manage condos in so income stopped completely except for GF call center job. So my savings and plans for other things are up in the air while eating a hole in my savings.

So what have I learned.

One, nothing stays the same forever even though I knew that but rarely think of it.

Two, stockpiling a bit dont hurt. Before liquor ban I bought a heap of supply and after I still keep a big supply incase they change their minds. Even today I see coke is hard to get in my area so I bought as many bottles as I could carry as I like to mix with Tanduay. 

• Like 4

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I was going to rent out my own house and buy a small apartment (condo) that didn't need lawns mowed and could be easily locked ready for my visits to Australia but travel restrictions mean I can't get out to inspect possible properties and I'm very reluctant to buy on the basis of a video tour so that's on hold.

A video tour is certainly not enough to base a decision on. Like Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf, I put much stock in the smell of a place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've learned how cheap you can live here if you buy and cook your own food

The one benefit is that we are living on the cheap!  Our spending in April was half of the normal monthly spend.  I fill both cars with fuel on March 16th and they both still have more than 3/4s left.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Two, stockpiling a bit dont hurt. Before liquor ban I bought a heap of supply and after I still keep a big supply incase they change their minds. Even today I see coke is hard to get in my area so I bought as many bottles as I could carry as I like to mix with Tanduay. 

Don't tell Tommy where you live. :tongue:

• Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Anyway I've learnt to be more patient with people :thumbsup:

Yes have found this also. Being in a small condo together with ones partner does at times require this patience.

Fortunately until recently we have a pool (now broken filter) and a mini gym still functional. 

What have we learnt well.... my partner has been glued to you tube and now producing some excellent food and is baking pretty much non stop. Like another poster the share portfolio has taken a massive hit, unfortunately not enough years left to make it up so time to enjoy life more. Was looking at another Malaysian trip, doubtful going to happen this year from what i have read.

Was pleasantly surprised at the price of diesel, not been out for a while and the oil price decline has certainly been reflected at the pumps. Will ensure the domestic travel is more affordable.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Don't tell Tommy where you live. :tongue:

I'm on my way there to Cebu today... He can run, but he can't hide!!!:6:

• Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... maybe I am a "Nervous Nellie?" but I guess there is a bit of survivalist in my blood and I make no apologies or excuses for that.

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all.  IMHO In times of uncertainty it is prudent to take extra precautions .

I have a similar small stock of rice, dried beans, pasta, canned food, oil, sauces, powdered milk and water.   Plus a good battery powered radio, torches and bottled propane for the camping stove.

Do I believe things are going to get worse?  That there is going to be a second wave that's worse than the first wave?  Like there was with most other pandemics in the past (including the Spanish Flu)?  Honestly... I doubt it.  But if I'm wrong I've spent a few thousand pesos on long life foods that can always be eaten later or even donated to the local food bank after all this is over.   But if there is a worse second wave and I need to isolate then I can.

I really think that most first world countries will manage to keep thier R nought numbers low enough to avoid a second wave with track and trace but I'm not any where near as confident about third world countries, who will have to release lockdown at some point also.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

insite
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Mike J said:

Here is another one.  This is a coffee table, four feet by two feet.  The repurchased mahogany gives them a nice sort of rustic "slightly worn" look. 

IMG_20200517_114330.jpg

Nice work on the tables Mike :AddEmoticons04230:

Check out this table for some inspiration - its a beaut !

https://alexandrallewellyn.com/products/louisa-table-2

Edited by insite
grammer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic