Have we learnt anything these last few months?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Other societies adapted.  We have many Koreans in our area and they often wore masks before Covid was around.  I think this was because of lessons learned with SARS, Swine flu, etc.  Perhaps our new normal is to pop on a mask every time something is going around.  It would help a lot with the seasonal flu.

I don't see wearing masks as ever becoming popular/common in western cultures by choice - even now there are still plenty enough experts who cast doubt on there efficacy.  Also, we simply don't have the group over individual mentality that exists in many Asian cultures, including Japan, Korea etc.  I dislike wearing one and cannot imagine I'd do it from personal choice. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I don't see wearing masks as ever becoming popular/common in western cultures by choice - even now there are still plenty enough experts who cast doubt on there efficacy.  Also, we simply don't have the group over individual mentality that exists in many Asian cultures, including Japan, Korea etc.  I dislike wearing one and cannot imagine I'd do it from personal choice. 

I know off topic a bit, but I thought I would add to your comment. Over nine years ago, when visiting Saigon in Vietnam, I noticed that virtually all motorcycle riders (and there were tens of thousands of them!) wore masks. Also many people just walking around. I know it was all or mostly because of dust and smoke in the air, which was filthy. So, for them, it is no big deal to wear them.

Interestingly, I drove through a barangay checkpoint yesterday where there were three guys sitting around - at the intersection of a major highway and a public street. They all had masks hanging just hanging below their chins. One of them came over to the car to check the pass. He asked us questions about our destination and, while doing so, I could see some spittle spraying from his mouth (the angle of the sunlight was perfect to show it) as he spoke. I touched my mask and suggested ever so politely that perhaps he might put up his mask... His reply? Oh... I don't like it...it's too hot. So he passed us through, no problem. But I was disgusted and so was L... nothing to do about it but for us to just be extra careful and wash our hands after we got home...yuck!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yes, I agree that the true efficacy for prevention of a healthy person getting sick is unknown, but wearing a mask by sick or suspected sick should definitely help the spread.  With this virus, many people are asymptomatic and a mask might help prevent them from spreading.

Given the current experiences, I think many people, if given the choice, would rather have a mandatory mask in public than a mandatory stay at home.

My wife was just quoting me an article that said you should not wear the mask except when absolutely needed, as it cuts down your oxygen flow.  Seems logical.  Here is the freeport they don't use logic.  You have to wear a mask in your car.  You have to wear a mask when exercising outside.  I think the latter is even dangerous.

18 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I know off topic a bit, but I thought I would add to your comment. Over nine years ago, when visiting Saigon in Vietnam, I noticed that virtually all motorcycle riders (and there were tens of thousands of them!) wore masks. Also many people just walking around. I know it was all or mostly because of dust and smoke in the air, which was filthy. So, for them, it is no big deal to wear them.

I have found that wearing one while mowing my lawn does help avoid allergic reactions.  I really hated wearing it but the more I did, I seemed to get used to it.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I have found that wearing one while mowing my lawn does help avoid allergic reactions.  I really hated wearing it but the more I did, I seemed to get used to it.

Other than hurting my ears, they don't bother me a whole lot unless I am exercising. I used to have to wear chemical filtering respirators when working in a fiberglass fabricating factory. I got used to them after a while so these cloth ones are easy.

I also don't follow the logic for wearing them in the car. Maybe it's so we don't forget to put them on when going out of the car or rolling down a window? But I respect the rules...

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I agree that the true efficacy for prevention of a healthy person getting sick is unknown, but wearing a mask by sick or suspected sick should definitely help the spread.  With this virus, many people are asymptomatic and a mask might help prevent them from spreading.

Given the current experiences, I think many people, if given the choice, would rather have a mandatory mask in public than a mandatory stay at home.

My wife was just quoting me an article that said you should not wear the mask except when absolutely needed, as it cuts down your oxygen flow.  Seems logical.  Here is the freeport they don't use logic.  You have to wear a mask in your car.  You have to wear a mask when exercising outside.  I think the latter is even dangerous.

Logic tells us masks have some benefit but I just feel so uncomfortable wearing one - too sweaty and I can agree with the article as I feel like i'm not getting enough air but I think I'd get over that If it was a habit.

I'll wear one if it's needed but otherwise, hmmm. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I also don't follow the logic for wearing them in the car. Maybe it's so we don't forget to put them on when going out of the car or rolling down a window?

The reason is as you said in another post for when you are stopped at a checkpoint designed to control the virus and the attendant is more or less spitting in your face. Thats why :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, hk blues said:

Logic tells us masks have some benefit

They did years ago in my bank robbing days :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 5/22/2020 at 12:05 PM, Tommy T. said:

Interestingly, I drove through a barangay checkpoint yesterday where there were three guys sitting around - at the intersection of a major highway and a public street. They all had masks hanging just hanging below their chins. One of them came over to the car to check the pass. He asked us questions about our destination and, while doing so, I could see some spittle spraying from his mouth (the angle of the sunlight was perfect to show it) as he spoke. I touched my mask and suggested ever so politely that perhaps he might put up his mask... His reply? Oh... I don't like it...it's too hot. So he passed us through, no problem. But I was disgusted and so was L... nothing to do about it but for us to just be extra careful and wash our hands after we got home...yuck!

EED8EE7D-39A6-4BF9-A0E1-D1EBC48BA737.png

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On 5/21/2020 at 9:34 PM, Tommy T. said:

I also don't follow the logic for wearing them in the car.

On 5/21/2020 at 10:08 PM, hk blues said:

Logic tells us masks have some benefit

Remember Gents, The masks are to protect OTHERS from you. Unless you have one of those M40 respirator masks they wont protect you from THEM. 

As for the check points, I went through one the other day and the guy had his nose exposed. He wanted me to open the window, I shook  my head, pointed to his mask. He pulled it up, I opened the window. No worries. 

Unless a person is actively sneezing or blowing his nose, I don't mind if the nose is uncovered,,,,,,,i just keep my eye on them and my distance.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, scott h said:

Remember Gents, The masks are to protect OTHERS from you. Unless you have one of those M40 respirator masks they wont protect you from THEM. 

It is very difficult to 100% protect yourself. Masks can help to reduce your chance of contracting the virus. How much it reduces your risk depends upon the quality of the mask and your skill and knowledge of how to properly use it. A handkerchief worn over your mouth and nose will provide little if any protection. A well fitted N95 or N99 mask worn by someone trained in its proper use should be able to help reduce your risk but not eliminate the risk totally. The problem is most people have no clue how to wear a mask and even those who do sometimes get lazy after many hours of continuous use.

FYI, I worked for many years in an industry where I had to wear half face respirators, full face respirators and even at times SCBA's, the type you see firemen wear with the air tank. For a few years I was part of the staff who maintained all of the respiratory equipment and gave people respiratory fit tests. To be qualified to wear a respirator you had to be clean shaven.  I also was the one doing the evaluations and testing to identify risks and set requirements for protection. I worked in the nuclear industry and at times was responsible for industrial hygiene and radiation protection.

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, earthdome said:

It is very difficult to 100% protect yourself. Masks can help to reduce your chance of contracting the virus. How much it reduces your risk depends upon the quality of the mask and your skill and knowledge of how to properly use it. A handkerchief worn over your mouth and nose will provide little if any protection. A well fitted N95 or N99 mask worn by someone trained in its proper use should be able to help reduce your risk but not eliminate the risk totally. The problem is most people have no clue how to wear a mask and even those who do sometimes get lazy after many hours of continuous use.

FYI, I worked for many years in an industry where I had to wear half face respirators, full face respirators and even at times SCBA's, the type you see firemen wear with the air tank. For a few years I was part of the staff who maintained all of the respiratory equipment and gave people respiratory fit tests. To be qualified to wear a respirator you had to be clean shaven.  I also was the one doing the evaluations and testing to identify risks and set requirements for protection. I worked in the nuclear industry and at times was responsible for industrial hygiene and radiation protection.

Considering what authorities with white lab coats say regarding masks, I think they have come to the conclusion that people aren't smart enough to learn how to use masks effectively, so just tell them they don't work so that they do anti-social distancing. My conclusion is that they dumb down things so far they end up giving out bad information.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic