Suggestions To Make The Rp A 1St World Status

i am bob
Posted
Posted

In all my travels over the years, I have come across the same basic problems in most of the 3WCs everywhere and the same corrective measures needed. Simply put, they are:

• Get rid of all political, policing and banking corruption.
  • Government must be freed from any excessive religious control.
  • Increase QUALITY initiatives ensuring better employment (as well as employment standards).
  • Provide incentives to prevent "Brain Drain".

Upon re-visiting the aforementioned countries, I found that those who were seriously accomplishing these (especially in the order listed) were extremely improved over my last visit. (Any time I had the chance - in my own country or somewhere else - I always tried to teach the kids that it is best to be honest and try to always help those around you, think for yourself. don't steal and do your best in everything you do. I like to think it will help somewhere down the road...)

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Government must be freed from any excessive religious control.
It could be argued that government must be freed from any religious control and the Philippine constitution provides for exactly that - a strict separation of church and state; "inviolable" is the word. In practice, the church wields tremendous power over all aspects of government.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Government must be freed from any excessive religious control.
It could be argued that government must be freed from any religious control and the Philippine constitution provides for exactly that - a strict separation of church and state; "inviolable" is the word. In practice, the church wields tremendous power over all aspects of government.
Thanks Mike! I'm not sure why I put excessive in there - maybe I was just thinking of the excessive control that they exert on the government now.... either way you are more correct than what Ii wrote!

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Sadly, this ain't gonna happen and if it did, many of could no longer live here. The attraction of the Philippines for most Americans is its poverty. They can live cheaper here. If the Philippines had a first world economy, there would zero financial incentive to move here. Old guys with younger wives would be left bereft. I am not slinging stones here at anyone, as those that actually know me in the real world, will quickly realize. Just noting that there are benefits and drawbacks, few of us are moving to Japan or South Korea to live unless we have substantial incomes from somewhere. Thailand beckons because it is poor too. Not just because the food is better. That said, my thoughts on improvements: End the culture of corruption. It isn't just the big wigs, politicians, and so forth. Even the poorest have their hands out every time the country votes. No peso means that candidate has little chance of even placing, to heck with winning. In general, more money takes the office, though not always. I know of one election where a previous mayor who was rather disliked offered twice what his main rival offered. People happily took his pesos and voted for who they wanted. A refreshing moment in that island's politics.But people by their certificates, their grade, their positions in government and schools. That's not just the barangay captain slipping money in his or her pocket instead of fixing roads or seeing that there is water line. From the top down to the smallest position, there is simply systemic, cultural corruption. And they are used to it. Sometimes the people whine about it, but they put their hands out in a snap if the pesos start to fall their way. Improve infrastructure. Roads that are a joke, electricity that may stay on all day or may not, no water, buildings that look like ramshackle leftovers. Why there is not a complete multilane tollroad around all of Luzon for faster travel and shipment of goods? The potholed, helter skelter patched highways are perpetual death threats to anyone traveling them. They are working on some, but honestly, it is a joke. And if it isn't happening in Luzon, I'm pretty sure its the same elsewhere. One or two decent toll roads and the rest is pretty much crapola. Real Education. Teachers would have to actually know their stuff and schools would have to have spend their money on resources for the students and faculty, not on the principals new flat screen. Somebody "buys" their PRC certificate and they need to be banned from teaching for 10 years minimum. As much as I love education, I am appalled in both the USA and the Philippines of the effect of tenure. Washington DC had to bring in a superintendent of schools that shut down a chunk of non-performing schools, fire office staff and teachers that simply were incapable of doing their jobs. If it happened in the USA, it is hard for me to point fingers at the Philippines, but both need reform badly. And I do appreciate the idea of tenure. It was to protect teachers from being threatened into teaching just certain things and not others, to keep freedom of thought and education alive. But when it becomes abused systematically, then tenure be damned. Here and in the USA. I don't know how many conversations I've had with expats who work overseas for companies that employ Filipinos as part of their workforce. Almost to an individual, they have zero faith in the credentials and abilities of the Filipino worker until proven. I'm not saying that Filipinos are stupid or lazy. But far too often their certifications and much of their training is simply not credible. A young guy that is willing to be a hard worker has two strikes against him before he ever gets to the interview. Serious certifications and world standards of training have to be implemented, not just cited as what they teach. Schools are great on rhetoric and low on performance. Other stuff could help, a level playing ground for investments, the right to own land (even if limited in size) and so forth could help. But without a reasonable amount of honesty, education, and infrastructure to support the people and business, whatever I or others tack on our lists to make this place a success story is useless.The bottom line though is it really isn't our problem. The Philippines is run by the Filipinos. We should remember President Manuel L. Quezon, who once said: “I would rather have a country run like hell by Filipinos than a country run like heaven by the Americans, because however bad Filipino government might be, we can always change it.” The we in this case is the Filipino and they are the bottom line here. Most expats can come and go as they please. The Filipinos much less so and it is their country to do with as they please, not as we think they should. So we can comment on our experiences and views, but its all from the sideline because we are not really in the game.

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Not that i don't agree with all the thoughts being put forward here, but i just wonder how many of you would still live or even visit the country if indeed it did become a 1st world country?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Not that i don't agree with all the thoughts being put forward here, but i just wonder how many of you would still live or even visit the country if indeed it did become a 1st world country?
Very interesting notion -- what would the Philippines be like if it was similar to Singapore for example??I wouldn't know where to begin, even in my most wildest imagination......Scratchin' my head -- Jake

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I've been to Singapore a few times. To be honest, i'd rather go to Sydney and that's sayin somethin cos i don't like Sydney at all.Singapore is "nice" but to me, it just has no character...............you can't say that about the Philippines!

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Most ideas have been said already but allow expats to own a small piece of land (under 1 acre) and allow them to open and run a small business . This will make it attractive to retire here and bring much needed investment and brain power to the RP.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Just make the country a peaceful place to live, thus attracting more tourists and investors.....then get rid of all corrupt officials both elected and appointed! 23_11_59%5B1%5D.gif
here is another example when you have the "Families" run for office, STOP the sons/daughters/uncle/aunt/ mama/daddy/fish/frog/cat/dog/monkey/goat .When NEW people/faces are allowed to run and win, then will their be a GOOD chance of success here in the RP(post edit from site)The young Ebdane, who is the youngest son of Gov. Hermogenes E. Ebdane Jr., made the announcement during an assembly of government officials and employees at the Capitol after receiving a declaration of support from town mayorsAmong those who are reported to join the race are Cheryl Deloso, the daughter of former Gov. Amor Deloso; and Rica Diaz, one of the daughters of the late Congressman Diaz.http://www.philstar.com/nation/article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=200&articleId=768949