Small Pool

Mick
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I am surprised that you mention a heater for the pool. :89:  We have a small pool and use it to cool off. 

So we can use it all year round not just these hot months, for me no problem but the wife's nesh....... 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, insite said:

I like that - our plunge pool is not pumped or filtered - just filled occasionally when we want a cool down and emptied after.

Are there any ways of dealing with smaller volumes of water to keep it clean without the need for a pump and filter.

Its about 1600 x 850 x 550

1589805730305.JPEG

I have tried a few things with our inflatable and they might work for a few days.

-- Always remove any leaves, etc. right away

-- Keep it covered

-- After use, put a small amount of laundry bleach in it and stir it around.  If you can get it, use pool bleach at a recommended ratio per gallon.

-- Use a large diameter hose to siphon part of the water off the bottom including dirt that settled on the bottom.  Replace with clean water.

-- if you want to spend some bucks and don't want to make anything permanent, you could get an large external aquarium filter and leave it on when you are not using it.   You don't need a fancy biological filter, just a mechanical filter to filter detritus from the water.

Some friends have a round Intex inflatable pool with pump and filter system so they don't have to change the water much.  It has a fitted cover too.  All available on Lazada and the prices are not bad.

Edit:  Lots of ideas on You Tube!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, insite said:

I like that - our plunge pool is not pumped or filtered - just filled occasionally when we want a cool down and emptied after.

Are there any ways of dealing with smaller volumes of water to keep it clean without the need for a pump and filter.

1589805730305.JPEG

5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have tried a few things with our inflatable and they might work for a few days.

-- Always remove any leaves, etc. right away

-- Keep it covered

-- After use, put a small amount of laundry bleach in it and stir it around.  If you can get it, use pool bleach at a recommended ratio per gallon.

-- Use a large diameter hose to siphon part of the water off the bottom including dirt that settled on the bottom.  Replace with clean water.

-- if you want to spend some bucks and don't want to make anything permanent, you could get an large external aquarium filter and leave it on when you are not using it.   You don't need a fancy biological filter, just a mechanical filter to filter detritus from the water.

Some friends have a round Intex inflatable pool with pump and filter system so they don't have to change the water much.  It has a fitted cover too.  All available on Lazada and the prices are not bad.

Edit:  Lots of ideas on You Tube!

OMW's ideas are good.:smile:

You probably weren't looking for all this advice, but here it is if you might be interested?

I used to have a wooden hot tub in Seattle that I heated with a wood fire (called a snorkel stove). It was brilliant. It came with a treatment kit that really helped keep it fresh and sanitary for weeks at a time. It had no filter or pump. A plastic or cement pool will need less care than that hot tub required.

It can cost a few bucks - maybe more than you wish to spend? But ideally you need a testing kit - comes with several chemicals that show concentrations of chlorine and how much contamination there is - maybe three or four different tests? It also contained bleach as for pool use and chemicals to adjust the PH and eliminate cloudiness among others. I forget exactly because it was over 25 years ago... If you happen to use a pump and filter, you should still do the same thing with your chemistry set or the water will quickly turn cloudy, take on a smell and become quite unhealthy - especially in this warm environment. There are lots of pools here so there must be these sets available - probably as big and complex or as simple as you wish?

The main thing was to measure and use appropriate quantities of the bleach. Too little and you don't kill bacteria and it smells very chlorine-like - too much is not healthy either and will also contribute to that strong bleachy smell. Just right and there is very little odour and it won't sting eyes or any cuts either. It needs to be checked every other day to be safe, but it saves you from having to drain and refill. Yeah... it's a bit of a hassle but, if you don't have a lot to do anyway, it only takes ten minutes or so in a day. When adding chemicals, you need to stir them in like mixing soup spices to ensure they dissolve. I used a canoe paddle.

Skim off chunky bits with a net and do what OMW suggests and siphon or drain any sediment from the bottom on a regular basis. Keep a cover on it always when not in use to keep out mozzies, flies, leaves, bird poo and blown in dirt. It's best to shower a little or at least use a water hose to rinse off excess sweat or body dirt before you step in. And don't pee in the pool!

I strongly suggest you take care of your pool - big or small - and it will pay off with fresh, clean, sanitary water for nice cool-downs with your cold beer or Tanduay (had to put that in). You will only need to change the water occasionally. I hope to install something small at our new home too, so I am very curious how much it will cost Mick to build one and also how big it will be when done?:89:However, I am quite concerned about all the really big rocks that the contractors have been finding in the ground - lots and lots and some are huge!

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

So a small pool... something like this then?  :whistling:

small pool.jpg

Now THIS is my idea of a desirable plunge pool.  Its portable, low cost, low effort, low maintenance, has a built in debris cover, and doesn't run up the water bill. If you have a wife. GF or other..... just add another.

I think I would dump a little hydrogen peroxide in for hygiene reasons and buy a block of ice for the cooler to throw chunks in to lower the temp to make sure its  a  'cold pool' of sorts, like you come across in health spas.

Nice posting GeoffH.  Thanks. Now I wish we had rubbish bins like this here in the PI.

• Haha 4

insite
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

OMW's ideas are good.:smile:

You probably weren't looking for all this advice, but here it is if you might be interested?

I used to have a wooden hot tub in Seattle that I heated with a wood fire (called a snorkel stove). It was brilliant. It came with a treatment kit that really helped keep it fresh and sanitary for weeks at a time. It had no filter or pump. A plastic or cement pool will need less care than that hot tub required.

It can cost a few bucks - maybe more than you wish to spend? But ideally you need a testing kit - comes with several chemicals that show concentrations of chlorine and how much contamination there is - maybe three or four different tests? It also contained bleach as for pool use and chemicals to adjust the PH and eliminate cloudiness among others. I forget exactly because it was over 25 years ago... If you happen to use a pump and filter, you should still do the same thing with your chemistry set or the water will quickly turn cloudy, take on a smell and become quite unhealthy - especially in this warm environment. There are lots of pools here so there must be these sets available - probably as big and complex or as simple as you wish?

The main thing was to measure and use appropriate quantities of the bleach. Too little and you don't kill bacteria and it smells very chlorine-like - too much is not healthy either and will also contribute to that strong bleachy smell. Just right and there is very little odour and it won't sting eyes or any cuts either. It needs to be checked every other day to be safe, but it saves you from having to drain and refill. Yeah... it's a bit of a hassle but, if you don't have a lot to do anyway, it only takes ten minutes or so in a day. When adding chemicals, you need to stir them in like mixing soup spices to ensure they dissolve. I used a canoe paddle.

Skim off chunky bits with a net and do what OMW suggests and siphon or drain any sediment from the bottom on a regular basis. Keep a cover on it always when not in use to keep out mozzies, flies, leaves, bird poo and blown in dirt. It's best to shower a little or at least use a water hose to rinse off excess sweat or body dirt before you step in. And don't pee in the pool!

I strongly suggest you take care of your pool - big or small - and it will pay off with fresh, clean, sanitary water for nice cool-downs with your cold beer or Tanduay (had to put that in). You will only need to change the water occasionally. I hope to install something small at our new home too, so I am very curious how much it will cost Mick to build one and also how big it will be when done?:89:However, I am quite concerned about all the really big rocks that the contractors have been finding in the ground - lots and lots and some are huge!

Thanks Tommy - its an interesting option and whilst cost may not be the issue pool size I think may be - I will mull it over :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Robi
Posted
Posted
On 5/18/2020 at 8:43 AM, insite said:

1589805730305.JPEG

Actually you have great and simple design and operational program.

No worries about balancing PH, chlorine generation, filtration & circulation pumps.

Having to have to maintain my own pools over the years i can certainly appreciate.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Robi said:

Actually you have great and simple design and operational program.

No worries about balancing PH, chlorine generation, filtration & circulation pumps.

Having to have to maintain my own pools over the years i can certainly appreciate.

For only occasional or sporadic use this might be the way to go.  With fill-use-drain and a safe waterline source of water, I would think your only concern would be your water cost.  Where I am it is P32.2/cu.m.

During the current dry season heat, we make do with the largest of our laundry tubs for our 4 year old quarantine guest every day.  Its increased my water bill from c.P500 to c. P800,  but other than that, no other cost or tasking. 

Full body immersion is nice and can suck out the body heat very quickly, which is the appeal of pools or ocean dips here.   Sitting in a tub of cool water is not as effective, but will suffice for many on  the cheap and easy.

I'm not even that ambitious, and make do with the old stand-byes when the bit-a-breeze or fan isn't enough for the comfort level I find tolerable.  A long shower or dipper dousing while seated on a laundry stool pulls the body heat out adequately for me.  I haven't bothered, but I guess I could put a big chunk of ice in the dipper bucket if I wanted really cold, icy water to shock my system like a spa cold pool does, but no thanks.

So 2 or 3 times during a really hot day, I just go sit in the shower and douse while smoking a few cigs and sipping on a cold beer. Works  for me..... a bit of a lazy guy when its really hot out.  I live w/o A/C and have to be frugal since my wife waves her magic wand and makes our money disappear as fast as I transfer it into her household needs account.  

Lots of different ways and cost variable solutions to cool off a bit with water here.   :56da64b375223_36_1_581::whatever:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

We have a massive pool we use, in fact it's self cleaning and anyone can use it for free. It's called the sea.

It's just 3 minutes stroll to the sea from our house. :867:

That's my one regret - being in a sub-division and relatively far from the sea.  

I'm jealous! 

• Like 2