Please have some empathy for those suffering from the economic lockdown

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Starving rats are resorting to war and cannibalism to survive coronavirus lockdown

https://nypost.com/2020/04/13/starving-rats-resort-to-war-cannibalism-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown/

Even rats are waging a bloody battle to survive the coronavirus pandemic.

A feeding-ground lockdown is driving New York City’s infamously resilient rodents to acts of war.

“It’s just like we’ve seen in the history of mankind, where people try to take over lands . . . and fight to the death, literally, for who’s going to conquer that land,” Bobby Corrigan, a rodentologist who specializes in urban vermin, told NBC News. “A new ‘army’ of rats comes in, and whichever army has the strongest rats is going to conquer that area. When you’re really, really hungry, you’re not going to act the same — you’re going to act very bad, usually.”

:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, earthdome said:

When you’re really, really hungry, you’re not going to act the same — you’re going to act very bad, usually.”

I can relate to that :SugarwareZ-047:

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted

Related:

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

This is reminiscent of when I briefly lived down in a major mid-western US city after retirement. I believe they call their version 'Black Friday'.  Its a time of starvation, that follows the preceding  bout of gluttony .... something about being thankful for a horn of plenty.  Many strange, pagan superstitions in that part of the world. I think the large bi-pedal animals there fear starvation of some sort and act like that to increase their supply stocks.... or something like that. I never did figure it out, and just moved back to the far north country.

Thanks for the memory jog.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Sounds some what melodramatic to me.  A month ago was considering to add security to doors and windows as envisaged people finding their way to the door requesting food and the risk of this escalating,

Happy to report nothing like this in our area has happened, we are out now walking and going to mall with zero noticeable difference. of course this is our area and may well not be the case over all.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kuya John said:

However surely as Human beings we should value Empathy Compassion and Humility towards those less fortunate than ourselves.

I do, I go out every second night and feed the stray cats and sometimes a few dogs. Probably feed now about 12 cats but a couple had kittens so l think another 7 to add to that. These cats live in the garden bloc as its called and I think I posted about it before. Now all the restaurants have closed and no people around there is almost no food. I do see at times some others out feeding.

Funny now as soon as one sees me coming then you see all these cats running towards me from everywhere. I guess they think I'm a rockstar. 

As for rats, haven't seen any for awhile so I hope the cats got them or they died.

• Like 5

graham59
Posted
Posted

Many dogs definitely been eaten in my locality.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

animals-talking_animals-rats-mouse-prey-animals-CC40632_low.jpg

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic