The Canadian’s case should serve as another warning to other foreigners that their stay in the country is not a right but a mere privilege

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Of course two sides to the story and we will probably never know the end. :photo-109:

...........................................................................................................................................

PRESS RELEASE
19 May 2020

Canadian with multiple cases stopped from leaving RP

The Bureau of Immigration said its officers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) stopped a Canadian National from leaving the country due to a criminal complaint for slander and grave coercion filed against him by a Filipina.

In a report to Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente, BI Port Operations Division chief Grifton Medina identified the passenger as Nelson William Paul Mayko, 56, who was intercepted last Friday at the NAIA 1 terminal as he was about to board Korean Airlines flight to Incheon, South Korea.

Medina said that Mayko was stopped from leaving after immigration officers found that the passenger is in Bureau’s alert list of aliens with pending criminal cases.

“Our officers also determined that aside from the said criminal case, a complaint for undesirability and working without permit was also lodged against him before the BI law and investigation division,” He added.

Records show that the cases against Mayko was initiated by a Filipino businesswoman who used to own and operate a stall at the public market in Bgy. Plaza, Tanay, Rizal.

The complainant alleged that Mayko forcibly took over the stall units in the market, including the ready-to-wear items being sold there.

“The Canadian’s case should serve as another warning to other foreigners that their stay in the country is not a right but a mere privilege, thus they should not abuse Philippine laws and its citizens,” Commissioner Morente stated.

He further stressed that as in the case of other persons with pending cases here, they cannot be allowed to leave without facing and answering the charges against them.

Morente observed that the charges against Mayko were so serious that it should warrant a fair and proper hearing before the court and BI.

Mayko’s passport was confiscated and he was advised to report at the BI Legal Division.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARBoG79s3QFMObvimFAeSLnDgeftCO3-NPD4BQ9x3L8PM4SIl5y31mA_VfnTqKFF7D_N0UiJ4ArmsCN-&hc_ref=ARTWJTRvMocZ5vEacF88UCc0C4_Rm1eZAvUcgjum6eEgwQg_v9Wccu934KFwio-nHJs&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARBe5BH-kF-eGwr4lMbRoeQXZmqAUbUU44su1HfquakGqz7qrZ7vhPtX24FNJFj5d1-CsfKh04JIDZ1PO4PWW80A6j6zO3DzB6HXfGt_35EENGwPvAa7A_rCBBUzabSvCsAPsy_5j2GSJZnar8EO0H3MGZgTJNc-Z448W_PYjvTuF2n3h5fVm9Ha9cAJ2E7hIux_dPeHR-la-8BNpSyz7BlnWkuBs2_nLbEnv-O_CrvlIYISYaKGkQGSYUxXO6qlVrTP6B1oFzS1LXYUuPltXvQ_0TyXnVqgFfW9qP_2SugH9kiXltYXH4t4I5cSb2KChATKbTyAUP-mj6fks2dZPW8R8A

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

“The Canadian’s case should serve as another warning to other foreigners that their stay in the country is not a right but a mere privilege, thus they should not abuse Philippine laws and its citizens,” Commissioner Morente stated.

He further stressed that as in the case of other persons with pending cases here, they cannot be allowed to leave without facing and answering the charges against them.

I hate these guys who do those sorts of things. One, assuming they are all or mostly true, they are low and nasty things to do.

Secondly they, again, tend to cast a bit of a bad light on foreigners staying in the Philippines - the vast majority of whom I believe respect or at least obey local laws and customs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Secondly they, again, tend to cast a bit of a bad light on foreigners staying in the Philippines - the vast majority of whom I believe respect or at least obey local laws and customs.

Yes I was meant to add to my post that the goverment here like to remind us anyway. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes I was meant to add to my post that the goverment here like to remind us anyway. 

Agreed. Maybe they do that because of headlines like above showing that a number of us need reminding because we don't learn???

Shady
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

he was about to board Korean Airlines flight to Incheon, South Korea.

They really should have some kind of pre-flight fingerprinting procedure at the Immigration office that foreigners need to get when they want to exit the country, to check and clear them if they aren't on any lists.................

nah, that would be a big waste of time, just do it at the airport.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Our officers also determined that aside from the said criminal case, a complaint for undesirability and working without permit was also lodged against him before the BI law and investigation division,” He added.

Records show that the cases against Mayko was initiated by a Filipino businesswoman who used to own and operate a stall at the public market in Bgy. Plaza, Tanay, Rizal.

The complainant alleged that Mayko forcibly took over the stall units in the market, including the ready-to-wear items being sold there.

With no evidence as to what really happened and is behind the charge.... I would make a wild, unsubstantiated guess that he perhaps funded this woman's business. got involved in its operation and was extremely displeased with what he 'assumed' to be a personal 'investment" of some sort..... to which he had few or  no legal  claim or rights to. 

Its too bad that many fellows don't take the time to research the law here, and  discover what rights they have,  or don't have in business matters before making what really amounts to  a financial  'grant' to what they erroneously think is a business partner.

I hope we get follow up information.   Maybe it a more interesting story than the old one of a guy thinking that his money is reclaimable if he shows grit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Likely we will never know the full story - I can only comment that the system here is stacked against foreigners so the guy is up against it regardless.  Would be interesting to know the story behind it all. 

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Indeed. Two sides to every story.

Shame we're 'guilty' here, until proven otherwise (often after having spent a few years in a local pigsty...sorry...jail,  and our pockets emptied).  

Enjoy your 'privileged' stay, but keep looking over your shoulder guys. :wink:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Show me a country that doesn't process criminal non-citizens for deportation, weather legal residence at the time of the crime  or not.

If you break the law, you do your time and get sent home. No sympathy here

• Like 1