The Canadian’s case should serve as another warning to other foreigners that their stay in the country is not a right but a mere privilege

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I can see both sides of the situation - he says, she says. It will be interesting to see what transpires...

Can you,Tom?  Seems we have only heard one thus far.  

softail
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I can see both sides of the situation - he says, she says. It will be interesting to see what transpires...

Not sure when was the last time I have ever heard how things work out. I only ever see the headline in the paper that the foreigner did this or that but never how the case turned out in the end.

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, softail said:

Not sure when was the last time I have ever heard how things work out. I only ever see the headline in the paper that the foreigner did this or that but never how the case turned out in the end.

When I was in the navy in the mid 80's my friend and I spent two years on legal hold for bullshit charges, the judge, prosecutor, and probably our Filipino lawyer were all just waiting to get paid, we showed up for every trial date in our dress whites and nothing moved along, eventually our lawyer worked out a payment to the defendants with some amnesty group that helps U.S. citizens in legal troubles, it was a lot of money.

• Sad 3

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'd also like to add that we are not guests with no rights.

In fact many of our countries have reciprocal deals with The Philippines, and what Filipinos get in Aus/NZ/UK/US should be what is recieved here.

Of course things differ than what should be and as JGF said we don't know the full story - that is besides the news is out to make sensationalised headlines no matter what.

Edited by AusExpat

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, RBM said:

Wonder if this guy had his ECC

If he has been here less than 6 months he wont need it. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, AusExpat said:

I'd also like to add that we are not guests with no rights.

In fact many of our countries have reciprocal deals with The Philippines, and what Filipinos get in Aus/NZ/UK/US should be what is recieved here.

if this is true why are there Aussies and Kiwis languishing in prisons here for years.

Sorry have no link for a case how ever have read of several examples, even visited people in prison. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, RBM said:

if this is true why are there Aussies and Kiwis languishing in prisons here for years.

There are Aussies languishing in prisons in the Philippines because they 'overstayed' or broke their visa conditions.

There are people from other countries in 'detention' in Australia (and indeed off shore for legal loophole reasons), some of them have been there for years.

(just one example) A Tamil family who were living in Biloela (with strong support from the local community) were arrested in a raid and flown quickly over seas (where lawyers cannot readily interview them) and placed in 'detention' (jail) on Christmas Island.  There are others who have been 'detained' for in excess of 5 years. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/biloela-tamil-family-to-spend-second-christmas-in-detention-limbo

Australia doesn't have any moral high ground here...

Edited by GeoffH

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Australia doesn't have any moral high ground here...

Shhhh.... don't talk about the Aborigines.

• Like 2