Jump to content

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Jack D said:

Like this one? 

F0E631AC-1AF6-48AE-967C-427728AE4324.jpeg

Ah, the lovely Juanita!

There's a joke in there somewhere!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like this one? 

This one works as designed!  

Posted Images

  • Forum Support

I have done some wood working the past few days and decided to experiment with different masks.  I tested the relative efficiency of the masks by doing a "nose blow" test after using the table saw and sanding.

N95 mask - works very well but very uncomfortable and hot after the first 30 minutes or so.  Had to takes breaks to cool off.

Surgical paper masks - work moderately well but you have to make sure to bend the wire in the top to form over the bridge of the nose.

Cloth masks like many people are wearing - Very poor but better than nothing I guess.

I am beginning to think the benefit of wearing a mask is to prevent the wearer "spreading" the virus (prior to symptoms) as opposed to keeping you from "getting" the virus.   I think frequent and thorough hand washing may be more important than masks.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I have done some wood working the past few days and decided to experiment with different masks.  I tested the relative efficiency of the masks by doing a "nose blow" test after using the table saw and sanding.

N95 mask - works very well but very uncomfortable and hot after the first 30 minutes or so.  Had to takes breaks to cool off.

Surgical paper masks - work moderately well but you have to make sure to bend the wire in the top to form over the bridge of the nose.

Cloth masks like many people are wearing - Very poor but better than nothing I guess.

I am beginning to think the benefit of wearing a mask is to prevent the wearer "spreading" the virus (prior to symptoms) as opposed to keeping you from "getting" the virus.   I think frequent and thorough hand washing may be more important than masks.

 

That's is exactly why everyone has to wear one, to protect others. They won't protect the person wearing a face mask from the virus. You would need a respirator with a face shield for that.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

You would need a respirator with a face shield for that.  

Technically an N95 mask is a 'respirator' but most people just call them masks (agree about the face shield being needed for proper protection but goggles are an alternative).  And even an N95 is only rated to stop nominally 95% of hazadous material (when fitted properly to a hairless face).  


NB there are two types  of N95 masks, the ones with the exit valve and the ones without.  The ones with the valve will protect you but not other people, your breath exits unfiltered through the valve and the type without a valve (which is what is needed for medical staff).  The ones with the valve are easier to breath with FWIW.

 

There were N99 rated masks that used to be available around but I haven't seen one since the virus pandemic started (probably got sucked up by governments).

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GeoffH said:

NB there are two types  of N95 masks, the ones with the exit valve and the ones without.  The ones with the valve will protect you but not other people, your breath exits unfiltered through the valve and the type without a valve (which is what is needed for medical staff).  The ones with the valve are easier to breath with FWIW.

 

There were N99 rated masks that used to be available around but I haven't seen one since the virus pandemic started (probably got sucked up by governments).

Thanks for the explanation, Dr. G!!!! I could not find a simple yet clear comparison of masks on Kuya G...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, in the US:

New Regulator Warns Health Measures, Like Masks, May Hurt Banks

Brian P. Brooks, the acting head of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, warned state and local leaders that requiring face masks could help bank robbers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/business/coronavirus-banks-masks.html?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20200602&instance_id=19032&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=114146683&segment_id=29915&te=1&user_id=51b77e1707addf29987be889296a48b0

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 12:52 AM, jimeve said:

You would need a respirator with a face shield

Do you mean something like this?  hahaha.JPG

bubonic.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I don't know if this would be considered in fashion but it would work for me as long as its not to crispy.:tongue:

clipboard_image_1e392229784_1595469003.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...