Have you seen local economic distress examples?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

The extended family have 2 trike drivers amongst them, they're back at work but they're only allowed to carry one passenger at a time.

I was told that by the end of the day they've made enough for the gas and maybe for a little rice.  There is no money left over to maintain the trikes and that isn't sustainable.  And the teacher isn't working because her school is still closed so she isn't getting paid.  The 2 Zumba instructors are working but class sizes are well down because people can't afford even the minimal cost of a zumba.   A richer member of the family has employed some other family members to do repairs on her grandmothers house so they have some income.   

I was speaking to the one who works as a radio reporter and she said that a lot of people are asking for help from relatives or foreigners if they have one in the family because they have no work and they've spent their small savings to buy food and now they have little or no work and will go hungry.  

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Philippine_dishes#Preserved_meat_and_fish

It just occurred to me that if your restaurants are closed, and your wife isn't capable or interested in serving up some of the more unusual dishes described here,  she might contract with or pay a  friend or neighbor who has the culinary knowledge or skill, and is out of work, to make it at home and deliver it, or prep it in your home kitchen.  

It might be necessary to either buy the ingredients for them beforehand, or fund the market trip in advance.

You'd get to try out some new Filipino dishes, and give some one a small bit of brief but helpful employment.

Just an idea.   My wife sometimes hires friends who need some extra money, chores she normally does herself.  I think most of us do that, but in these bizarre times, we could farm out a meal prep or two if it was something different to eat for a change.

Maybe scrolling down the list made me hungry for some non-Visayan dishes.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

One of my wife's close friends works at a PNB Remittance center south of Seattle. Very busy long lines she said.

• Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Near the exit of an SM in Quezon City there are people sitting under the trees with signs up asking for money.

A fellow near where I live had a shop before and is now "homeless" as his family are locked down elsewhere and "family troubles" asked him if he needed anything, he asked for a pair of pants, showed me his jeans had split right across the backside.

A bunch of theives ran past my house the other day but the residents were giving half hearted chase, they didn't come back (yet).

The mango tree behind my house has been stripped bare by kids climbing to the highest branches, when asked "no rice" was the explaination.

Lots of people planting small gardens.

Dogs and cats running around starving to death, we've taken in quite a few and go on runs to feed a bunch of others.

Mind you we are in a working class area but it doesn't seem to be doing too badly, though I'm now seen as the rich foreigner even though my car is older than anyones, as are my clothes.

Then on TV a few nights ago I saw old people in line for food handouts for over 24 hours crying and pleading - I do not know which province as I can't understand more than a few phrases yet (still).

Samar was hit by the recent typhoon that obliterated 80% of the buildings, so they are suffering. I heard through the grapevine that the local police chief who has a concrete house took in about 30 people, and a lot of the stored rice is now water damaged.

Edited by AusExpat
  • Sad 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

About 24,000 OFWs are currently in the repatriation pipeline. That number is expected to grow to 300,000.

Cite: https://trib.com/news/world/asia-today-philippines-trying-to-ease-quarantine-congestion/article_33b87ba5-59be-557f-92cc-4d9e29bcc8a5.html

The obvious conclusion is that the economic situation will get worse in the Philippines.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted

This is the second night in the past 2 weeks where after midnight, my dogs start barking and I get the flashlight out and catch a guy standing at the gate, probably looking to break in. When I shine the light, he takes off running!

I told the wife that I expect more will be trying to do this as the economic suppression continues. People getting hungry and desperate.  I expect more crimes to follow! No money, no food, probably just trying to feed their families. A time to be more vigilant!

Homeinvasion.jpg

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Guy F. said:

About 24,000 OFWs are currently in the repatriation pipeline. That number is expected to grow to 300,000.

Cite: https://trib.com/news/world/asia-today-philippines-trying-to-ease-quarantine-congestion/article_33b87ba5-59be-557f-92cc-4d9e29bcc8a5.html

The obvious conclusion is that the economic situation will get worse in the Philippines.

Yes - a large number of OFWs are employed in the hotel and cruise industries and both of these will remain in the doldrums for some time. Same for the restaurant business.  And, those working as maids etc may find their employers are less able to afford a maid. The days of living off the overseas remittances from family members will be over for many for quite some time. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm starting to get random strangers contact me on Facebook asking for work and more people approaching me to buy home cooked foods. At my last accomodation before I moved out two youngsters were caught in the garden, well after curfew and obviously casing the joint.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic