So much for the "Swedish way"!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, intrepid said:

The world average is 64.5 per 1M pop.  Am I missing something here, how can that stat go down?  I can understand the deaths can go down.  But Unless there is a huge increase in population overnight it would seem to me that the stat of "Deaths/ 1M Population" can only ever go up.  I never took a course while in college on Stats so my understanding is limited.

You are right.  I think I got that wrong, although I could almost swear that the number was 400+ before!  Let me think about it.

Screenshot (169).png

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

So you have these continental/multi country/area waves and then you plot them together and you get the mess that is the world graph.

The original small wave on the world graph was China but that was overshadowed by a much larger european wave which started to decline but now that's been swamped by the increase in cases from the USA, Brazil etc so we're not seeing a wave on the world graph so much as a series of increasingly larger upwards steps.

Yes, there are so many areas that have different start times and thus different wave patterns.  Some countries, especially large countries, have much different waves in different areas.

Here are some U.S. states.  Notice that the daily deaths in these later wave states are fairly flat, despite the cases being way up.  To me, that indicates that the treatments are better and/or these later patients were not already on their deathbeds, like in New York.

New York was the first big wave.

Screenshot (176).png

Arizona was slow to start

Screenshot (174).png

Texas

Screenshot (178).png

California

Screenshot (181).png

USA total

Screenshot (169).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, there are so many areas that have different start times and thus different wave patterns.  Some countries, especially large countries, have much different waves in different areas.

Here are some U.S. states.  Notice that the daily deaths in these later wave states are fairly flat, despite the cases being way up.  To me, that indicates that the treatments are better and/or these later patients were not already on their deathbeds, like in New York.

New York was the first big wave.

I agree that it does seem maybe treatments are getting better but also could be the ones now being infected and seeking treatment are younger and healthier.   This is another reason I like the Deaths/1M Pop.  It sorta gives the current/final overall end stat.  Here again if they are not manipulated.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2020 at 11:25 PM, OnMyWay said:

Out cycling on a beautiful day one minute, gone the next, hit by a truck.  You never know when it is your time so enjoy while you can!

Not meaning to be off topic but pouring rain is not a beautiful day. As for the Chris case "you never know when your time is up", well the jury's still out and always will be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not meaning to be off topic but pouring rain is not a beautiful day. As for the Chris case "you never know when your time is up", well the jury's still out and always will be.

Was it pouring rain?  I didn't remember that!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

So here is a video that has a lot about Sweden in it, and some will find it controversial.  Keep an open mind and watch the whole thing.  I agree with most of the concepts in it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Most media focuses on the cases graph.  Only a few will show the deaths graph.

Screenshot (184).png

Screenshot (187).png

I have said before that perhaps Sweden could have done a better job of protecting the elderly??  However, as I have read about the concept of herd immunity, perhaps it was never in the game plan to offer them extra protection??  Natural selection will give the youngest and strongest immunity, while allowing the old and weak to pass on.  As has been said before, the vast majority of elderly deaths were due to die in the next year anyway.  Cold blooded?  Yes, very much so.  Nature is very cold blooded when man does not intervene.  I know because I watch the National Geographic channels!  :biggrin:

Screenshot (189).png

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

So here is a video that has a lot about Sweden in it, and some will find it controversial.  Keep an open mind and watch the whole thing.  I agree with most of the concepts in it.

Hello, OMW...

I watched the entire video... I cannot say that I agree with it completely. The narrator makes some good points, but I just cannot agree with all of it.. 

But that's what is so cool about democracy, right? We can all agree or disagree and then we place our votes depending upon our understandings or beliefs? I think that is as much as I will say in the forum...

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hello, OMW...

I watched the entire video... I cannot say that I agree with it completely. The narrator makes some good points, but I just cannot agree with all of it.. 

But that's what is so cool about democracy, right? We can all agree or disagree and then we place our votes depending upon our understandings or beliefs? I think that is as much as I will say in the forum...

I'm glad you watched it Tommy.  We all should gather information from various sources with differing opinions, so that we can make what we think are the best decisions.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I tried to watch the video but I think he needs someone to do the talking bits on his behalf. :wink:

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic