Darn mosquitos.......Dengue

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Snowy & Jim, have you guys tried using an insecticide? Is there is a safe effective lotion you can apply to exposed areas?

The only stuff I use is called 'OFF' Sold st most big stores.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Seems they Both Have the Problem during this season. they Both live Near Water :89: Just a Thought here :wink:

Sea water won't allow mossies to breed, they need stagnant water, Jack. The locals use water butts to save their water I assume mossies get in and lay their eggs in them.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Off seams to work. 

Works for me - and you don't need to cake it on either and it smells reasonably inoffensive.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I made the mistake twice of going to a little cafe near the beach when they were at their worst and never realised.  The first time when I got home my legs flared up and I counted a good 20 bites that took about 4 days for the itching to go.  It was driving me crazy.  The second time I was in the cafe I just happened to look down at me feet and there was a cloud of mosquitoes. This time my whole legs were covered in bites.  Pure torture for about 5 days.  I found a different cafe after that. 

I am not surprised. There is a lot of funny stuff going on under the table in the PI. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

I am not surprised. There is a lot of funny stuff going on under the table in the PI. :laugh:

Good grief look at what you started now.  You know good and well Jake reads this forum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, jimeve said:

Thanks John, thinking of relocating back to England had enough of this dengue nonsense. It's a hot-spot for for dengue where we live and it's the day time mossie that carries the virus. Eve's made me some pajamas to wear, not sure if I look like I just escaped from an institute. Anyways, take care you and ludy.

Consider the long cold English before you decide Jim. Had dengue years ago and sure it sucks.....Surprised it hit you again, think must be a different strain, seems they mostly come out at sun set. As mentioned OFF works.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Consider the long cold English before you decide Jim. Had dengue years ago and sure it sucks.....Surprised it hit you again, think must be a different strain, seems they mostly come out at sun set. As mentioned OFF works.

Sure, there are 4 strains, had the two of the strains now, they recon you can only catch a strain you have not had.

Only 2 more stains then I can catch. Yeah, I don't know which is the worse, the fever or the long cold English winter.

The wife won't go back to England anyhow. So if you see a foreigner walking down the street with his pajamas on say hello Jim, hows things and buy him a San Mig. :cheersty:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, jimeve said:

Sure, there are 4 strains, had the two of the strains now, they recon you can only catch a strain you have not had.

Only 2 more stains then I can catch.

One of my daughters had dengue hemorrhagic fever 3 times, with the last time being the worst one. Her platelets were down to 6 (normal is 150 t0 450) and we had problems finding good blood for transfusion. We brought in 24 possible donors to get 2 units. It was 15 days in hospital with 3 days in ICU. Philhealth paid 58% of the hospital bill. I had to pay the 3 doctors in cash.

My other daughter got dengue once as did 2 of our neighbours.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

One of my daughters had dengue hemorrhagic fever 3 times, with the last time being the worst one. Her platelets were down to 6 (normal is 150 t0 450) and we had problems finding good blood for transfusion. We brought in 24 possible donors to get 2 units. It was 15 days in hospital with 3 days in ICU. Philhealth paid 58% of the hospital bill. I had to pay the 3 doctors in cash.

My other daughter got dengue once as did 2 of our neighbours.

That's extremely low platelet count, she really is lucky to be alive. It really is a nasty fever, hope she has made a full recovery.

• Like 3