Darn mosquitos.......Dengue

longway
Posted
Posted

A vaccine for protection was one time pushed in country but it was recalled for some reason. Besides bug repellent, clothing, and avoidance is there any prophylactic  way to protect yourself?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, longway said:

A vaccine for protection was one time pushed in country but it was recalled for some reason

The vaccine killed too many kids.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/20/2022 at 2:25 AM, longway said:

A vaccine for protection was one time pushed in country but it was recalled for some reason. Besides bug repellent, clothing, and avoidance is there any prophylactic  way to protect yourself?

From my understanding the vaccine is very effective but was licensed to be used in only children that had a previous infection. It's still used in a few other countries though.

The Philippines being the Philippines just lined them all up and vaccinated them all without cross referencing to see if they had a previous case. Apparently it causes antibody dependent enhancement, no not like the fake news about the covid vaccines causing it, these are completely different vaccines and a known risk. 

Edited by Snowy79
Edit due to incorrectly stating it was not to be used on those with previous infections.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

From my understanding the vaccine is very effective but was licensed to be used in only children that had a previous infection. It's still used in a few other countries though.

The Philippines being the Philippines just lined them all up and vaccinated them all without cross referencing to see if they had a previous case. Apparently it causes antibody dependent enhancement, no not like the fake news about the covid vaccines causing it, these are completely different vaccines and a known risk. 

You are correct Snowy. Thank you for speaking out. I removed my post. 

I confused this with the poisonous dried milk that killed a large number of children. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Back to annoying mozzies... We have had an absolute plague of them here in the past few weeks. I don't think they are carrying any diseases, but their bites are super annoying. We close up the house with screens and doors from about 4pm until 7am... But they still infiltrate during the open times. We have an electric snapper (like a sort-of tennis racket) and go after them when we see them. But, when they bite, the stings and itching can last up to several days, even after treatment with ammonia or anti-itch creams... They have been most irritating during the past two months... Maybe it is due to the moist, rainy conditions?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Around 4 or 5 pm I put on a pair of trousers that are too thick for them to bite through, put 'off' lotion on my slippered feet and ankles and make sure both of my fans are aimed at me until I go to bed under the mosquito net. When I go downstairs for supper, I put on a long sleeved, mosie proof shirt and sit under the table fan.

I might also add that its the smaller 'stealth mossies' that I am avoiding mainly. and the net traps I have on my two fans collect scores of the buggers around the clock. Every 2 or 3 days I shake out the dessicated corpses and wash them. My wife makes them for us out of net and elastic banding.

I have found that its almost impossible not to get bitten at least once or thrice a day, so we keep containers of "Vicks" around and if you do get a  bite, a small smear of it stops the itching.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Almost forgot... for very many years I kept two 'el cheapo' small blue light bug zappers in the house. Had to clean the dead bugs off the wire elements with a small paint brush every few days. The thing I like about my home-made fan nets, is that I conjecture that the reason they are so effective is that the bugs get vacuumed and pinned against the net and die of dessication..... and I am guessing that they are attracted to either the heat or the vibes of the fan motors at the back entrance way of their 'Temple of Doom'.... LOL

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I used to suffer a bit from bites but for the past year or so I haven't had such a problem.  I definitely don't sit outside early evening and all our windows and doors have screens so only a few make it into the house anyway.

We've found Off lotion is the most effective at keeping them at bay but only to a point. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I found that "Off" does work well. I just don't like the feel or smell of it But then, it's that trade-off (pun not intended) of lotion on body verses lasting, itchy bites...

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Back to annoying mozzies... We have had an absolute plague of them here in the past few weeks. I don't think they are carrying any diseases, but their bites are super annoying. We close up the house with screens and doors from about 4pm until 7am... But they still infiltrate during the open times. We have an electric snapper (like a sort-of tennis racket) and go after them when we see them. But, when they bite, the stings and itching can last up to several days, even after treatment with ammonia or anti-itch creams... They have been most irritating during the past two months... Maybe it is due to the moist, rainy conditions?

Try spraying body with 80% Pineosol and 20% water, works a treat.

• Thanks 1