Health Alert - U.S. Embassy Manila (May 28, 2020)

Jack D
Posted
Posted

Seal with white background

United States Embassy Manila, Philippines

Health Alert - U.S. Embassy Manila (May 28, 2020)

Event:  Special May 31 Flight to JFK International Airport, New York City

U.S. Citizens and U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents in the Philippines:  Philippine Airlines (PAL) has limited seats available for a flight departing Manila for JFK International Airport in New York City on Sunday, May 31.  Call the special PAL hotline at 02-8855-1000 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. to buy your ticket.  Please have your credit card and passport details readily available prior to calling.  Please be patient, as PAL has a limited number of staff available to answer calls due to the quarantine restrictions in Manila.  Do not call the Embassy for booking or ticketing.

Economy tickets are USD $1,378 (plus taxes and fees).  Premium is USD $1,807 (plus taxes and fees) and Business is USD $3,218 (plus taxes and fees).

This a morning flight, so there will NOT be any sweeper flights.  If you are interested in this flight, call the PAL hotline TODAY.   

Spoiler

Actions to Take:

·                    Philippine Department of Health (DOH)

·                    Philippine Department of Health (FAQs)

·                    Philippine Bureau of Immigration (BI)

·                    Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA)

·                    Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs

·                    Philippine Department Of Interior and Local Government

·                    Philippine Department of Tourism 

·                    COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov

·                    CDC page on COVID-19

·                    Philippines Travel Advisory

·                    Philippines Country Information Page

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy in the Philippines

1201 Roxas Boulevard

+63(2) 5301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday

After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63)(2) 5301-2000. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Sounds expensive.  My wife and I were in Greece last March when the government informed all foreigners that they had to leave the country within 72 hours.  We were able to get Air France Premium Economy tickets for $975 each, one way, Athens to Los Angeles.  Price included taxes and fees.  The economy seats were $675 per person.  

We wouldn't have minded remaining quarantined in Athens.  I had negotiated with our hotel to give us their penthouse suite for $95 per day including breakfast.  I explained that they are down to 10 guests so it did not matter which rooms were occupied.  

• Like 5

Jack D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Sounds expensive. 

I agree, but it looks like it might be a non-stop flight, and those usually have high-priced tickets.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Sounds expensive.  My wife and I were in Greece last March when the government informed all foreigners that they had to leave the country within 72 hours.  We were able to get Air France Premium Economy tickets for $975 each, one way, Athens to Los Angeles.  Price included taxes and fees.  The economy seats were $675 per person.  

We wouldn't have minded remaining quarantined in Athens.  I had negotiated with our hotel to give us their penthouse suite for $95 per day including breakfast.  I explained that they are down to 10 guests so it did not matter which rooms were occupied.  

Pretty sure that this is a chartered sweeper flight.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Pretty sure that this is a chartered sweeper flight.

You are right.  The aircraft would be returning to Manila empty.  So passengers are being charged for a round trip ticket.  Our Air France - Athens to Paris (Charles de Gaulle airport) to Los Angeles was likewise a sweeper flight.  But Air France was also ferrying stranded Europeans to their home countries through CDG airport.  So, my wife and I were charged for a one way.  

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jack D said:

I agree, but it looks like it might be a non-stop flight, and those usually have high-priced tickets.

Long haul, non-stop flights are murder.  We have done Los Angeles to Manila and Los Angeles to Singapore.  Something my wife and I plan to avoid in the future unless we can afford flat-bed business class tickets.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Long haul, non-stop flights are murder. 

I did Melbourne to Dubai in economy once... never again, 14 hours is just too long in an economy seat.  

I'm ok with 8 hours Melboure to Manila overnight because I normally get about 4 hours sleep but premium economy and a bit of room to stretch out is nice (not necessary but nice).

Edited by GeoffH

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I did Melbourne to Dubai in economy once... never again, 14 hours is just too long in an economy seat.  

Different airlines have different seat spacings. What airline was this? When I went to Taiwan the airasia seats had no room but another example of Singapore airlines weren't to bad. Luck Taiwan was only abut 3 hours though. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Different airlines have different seat spacings. What airline was this? When I went to Taiwan the airasia seats had no room but another example of Singapore airlines weren't to bad. Luck Taiwan was only abut 3 hours though. 

Our Singapore Airlines flight Los Angeles to Singapore last December had only two classes - business and premium economy.  I understand other carriers are offering a similar configuration for long haul flights.  Still uncomfortable for a non-stop lasting more than 14 hours.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I was with Emirates in some variety of 777, not sure which one.  I try and restrict travel legs to a max of about 8 hours now.

• Like 2