Expensive lockdown!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

:89: I'm sure it is not just me but this long Lockdown is proving to get even more expensive. We here on Negros have just had notice that we are extended on GCQ until june 15th 

Lockdown extention.jpg Whilst we don't have rent or mortgage to pay, our outgoings are as with many I am sure are escalating even without Moving and doing things we normally do, my Wife is on a 5 day 12 hour week so she is not here Locked up with us all the time, Our Daughter of course is Home but does escape to Family when Passes permit, With extended Payment systems in operation, We are paying what we can although on estimated Bills which we up to try and cover any  increase in our usage which is happening,  I am buying extra Data for the internet as Our daughter needs it to do online work set by the Uni ( when she is at home that is) It is getting like trying to save money, when Saving we try hard  yet, we tend to spend more. So for us here just now it is costing us More to stay ay home, I have not been beyond the 50/90 meters of my Gates as set by the Quarantine rules ( I am 72) fo over 3 months.

As with most of us I would guess, the Cash is still coming in as normal BUT it is going out a damn site quicker than Normal and we Have not been out as a family to meets, Dinners etc: Goodness only knows how the local and less fortunate Expat is coping, Many around us here that had or have a Job are not going to get over this in a short time.

Not a rant but just things as we Find them just now :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling HUH
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: I'm sure it is not just me but this long Lockdown is proving to get even more expensive. We here on Negros have just had notice that we are extended on GCQ until june 15th 

This lockdown is getting more stupid, when will it ever end? I can't help Evelyn my wife with the shopping as I'm not allowed out of the house and not allowed in the mall anyway.

Waiting for my credit card to arrive from England sent 3 weeks ago, I know it wont get here any time soon, can't remit my money  from my UK account without the credit card.

When can we travel? I need to go back to England!

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My wife says we are actually saving a bit because we can't go out to eat in restaurants a couple times a week.  I would guess savings of maybe 1000 peso per week?  On the other hand we are helping out family and neighbors with food so it could be we are going backward.  There is no question that it is ripping the economic security of many many people to shreds.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Is it urgent or important that you go back to England?    Not asking to be nosy, but rather out of concern. :sad:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

With us having a 7-year old, we are really not going out at all so saving a bit there.  We aren't really spenders anyway in normal times so not a significant change under lockdowns.  I'd say we are definitely spending less BUT my main expenditure is my beer and that is varying from 42php to 60php! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

With us having a 7-year old, we are really not going out at all so saving a bit there.  We aren't really spenders anyway in normal times so not a significant change under lockdowns.  I'd say we are definitely spending less BUT my main expenditure is my beer and that is varying from 42php to 60php! 

Our expenses are way down.  Probably about 70% of normal.  I have not put fuel in both cars since the first week of March and they both have close to 3/4 left.  During school, we do a lot of school shuttles.  No going out.  We just started to buy a bit of Jollibee and McD last week, for drive thru.  Electric and water are up, but not much.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, jimeve said:

This lockdown is getting more stupid, when will it ever end? I can't help Evelyn my wife with the shopping as I'm not allowed out of the house and not allowed in the mall anyway.

Waiting for my credit card to arrive from England sent 3 weeks ago, I know it wont get here any time soon, can't remit my money  from my UK account without the credit card.

I sympathise Jim -  I've a couple of things I need to do in July so hoping at least the outward mail is kinda working by then.

I guess this is one of those times when living here is a negative - in places like the UK the population wouldn't accept some of the things we have to here, or at least the government are able to maintain a reasonable level of service even during such testing times. 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Is it urgent or important that you go back to England?    Not asking to be nosy, but rather out of concern. :sad:

None urgent Mike, Just me blowing off a little steam. I can get around not going back to England, it will cost me more in money transfer fees though. 

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Our expenses are way down.  Even after spending hundreds of dollars buying food parcels for the barangay, we have tons of money left from our monthly allotment. We have so much left we just started a construction project a few months earlier than planned.  I am sure my electric bill will be high, but I put extra away for whenever they actually read the meter again. With 150 Gb of home interwebs I have not had to pay for any extra. The phones are doing fine on their 7 Gb. We are spending more at the grocery store, but saving by not going out to eat.

What expenses have gone up? 

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic