Air Conditioning dust

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Last week I had someone look at a unit I managed. He was able to do so as he was staying in the same complex. Anyway I turned on both aircon units maybe an hour before he arrived to cool the place and then turned them off when he left. They had been off for at least a month.

I had to go back to this unit about 4 days later and discovered thick black dust everywhere. At first I did not realise where it came from then it dawned on me it would have been the aircons and after turning off the dust settled.

The unit is on the 23 floor. Not sure if low floors get much dust in this building.

Anyway Just shows how much dust is in the air in Cebu city. My own unit seems to always be dusty no matter how much its cleaned.

carbpow
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Last week I had someone look at a unit I managed. He was able to do so as he was staying in the same complex. Anyway I turned on both aircon units maybe an hour before he arrived to cool the place and then turned them off when he left. They had been off for at least a month.

I had to go back to this unit about 4 days later and discovered thick black dust everywhere. At first I did not realise where it came from then it dawned on me it would have been the aircons and after turning off the dust settled.

The unit is on the 23 floor. Not sure if low floors get much dust in this building.

Anyway Just shows how much dust is in the air in Cebu city. My own unit seems to always be dusty no matter how much its cleaned.

That is curious. Was a window open while the AC was off? Air conditioners just recirculate the air in the room unless the AC is part of a large central building unit that mixes a small amount of outside air with the recirculated air.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, carbpow said:

That is curious. Was a window open while the AC was off? Air conditioners just recirculate the air in the room unless the AC is part of a large central building unit that mixes a small amount of outside air with the recirculated air.

No windows open and my guess is the dust has been building up on the outside of the unit and blown in. The filters were dirty even though they had been cleaned after the last  guest stayed.

carbpow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No windows open and my guess is the dust has been building up on the outside of the unit and blown in. The filters were dirty even though they had been cleaned after the last  guest stayed.

Ah, understand. If window units that makes sense. The air quality is terrible in major population areas. I travel to Manila on occasion and park my car at the hotel. It doesn't move for two days but the windows need cleaning when I leave. Black dust. You see people jogging there for exercise. I asked a doctor friend of mine about that and she said, "Yeah, they are probably doing themselves more harm than good."

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, carbpow said:

Black dust. You see people jogging there for exercise. I asked a doctor friend of mine about that and she said, "Yeah, they are probably doing themselves more harm than good."

Yep but at least they banned smoking in public places :hystery: 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I had to go back to this unit about 4 days later and discovered thick black dust everywhere.

If it's 'thick black' dust then it's likely diesel exhaust particulates which can be carcinogenic (mainly the finer stuff though not the thick stuff like you're describing).

There are a lot of diesel vehicles in the Philippines and exhaust gas emmisions from jeepneys can be quite bad.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

If the window unit is sealed properly then the dust is coming from inside, it will suck in air from other rooms especially if the door is shut since it will create a vacuum and pour in from the adjoining space under the door

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I have two balconies in my unit and they needed cleaning every month or so , due to black dust primarily from jeepneys I think. unfortunately one side of my unit is above as road that is used by jeepneys. The filth from these antiquated things is incredible.

I lived in Beijing before and the pollution was terrible there... sadly aint much better here !

• Sad 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Heeb said:

If the window unit is sealed properly

In the Philippines, I switched from window units to split units about 5 years ago.  However all the old window units I bought in the Philippines had a mechanical 'fresh air/recirculation" lever that opened or closed a half inch diameter hole to the outside.

The user could allow some fresh air in using that lever.  Not sure if it made much difference but I can see how outside air would get in that way. 

Heeb
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In the Philippines, I switched from window units to split units about 5 years ago.  However all the old window units I bought in the Philippines had a mechanical 'fresh air/recirculation" lever that opened or closed a half inch diameter hole to the outside.

The user could allow some fresh air in using that lever.  Not sure if it made much difference but I can see how outside air would get in that way. 

probably depends on the unit

• Like 1