Immigration begin appointments for Manila. No walk in's

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Some might need to know that for Manila an appointment is needed. Also I notice permanent residents (foreigners) are not allowed back into the country yet.

PRESS RELEASE
2020 June 01
BI launches Online Appointment Scheme for clients at Main Office
MANILA, Philippines - the Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced that it is launching an Monday
(01 June) an online appointment system for clients at the main office in Intramuros, Manila
following the government’s decision to place Metro Manila and other areas of the country
under General Community Quarantine (GCQ).
BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said the BI decided to adapt the online appointment system as
part of “New Normal” protocols designed to achieve social distancing and prevent the spread of
COVID-19.
“Henceforth, only clients with appointment code will be served during the specified date and
time of their appointment,” Morente said. Also, clients will have to present government-issued
or valid identification cards before they could enter the bureau’s premises.

“Nonetheless, clients may still avail of the services of BI-accredited travel agencies and law
offices if they wish so that the latter may secure the online appointment and transact business
on their behalf”, he explained.
The complete set of instructions and requirements needed for every BI transaction can be
accessed thru the bureau’s website at www.immigration.gov. ph.
And to further facilitate physical distancing, Morente urged those who have inquiries or
complaints to course their concerns through the BI’s online social media platforms and
telephone hotlines. The details of which can also be found in the said website.

Meanwhile, BI OIC Spokesperson Melvin Mabulac clarified that the foreigners who are holders
of Permanent Resident Visas are not allowed to enter the country under existing travel
restrictions imposed by the Inter-Agency Task Force on Infections Diseases (IATF).
He further stated that foreign crew members of airlines are allowed to enter the country aside
from overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), foreign spouses and dependents of Filipino citizens, and
foreign diplomats.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2020_Yr/06_Jun/2020Jun01_Press.pdf

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here in Subic Freeport they opened the One Stop Shop for tourist visa extensions today.  It normally only does work visas.  BI in Olongapo is also open.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I notice permanent residents (foreigners) are not allowed back into the country yet.

It makes me wonder how people will handle their Visa Run if they have been here 3 years.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It makes me wonder how people will handle their Visa Run if they have been here 3 years.

I don’t think there is a good answer to that question.

People with spouses and families face a choice between leaving and not being able to come back for an indefinite time or over staying.

Jack D
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

People with spouses and families face a choice between leaving and not being able to come back for an indefinite time or over staying.

Confused?... well, at least I am. 

I have a 13a (permanent resident) visa that may be completely useless (since I haven't been in the Phils for a few years, plus I haven't paid my yearly fees at the BI).

My wife and I have been delaying our trip to the Philippines to visit her family and our friends, so is it OK now for us take a flight from the States to the Philippines?

Based on GeoffH's comment, it sounds like I can take my wife to the Philippines now, but we'll need to stay for a while... 14 days?

Also, will I need to go the the local Philippine consulate in the States for a visa (prior to leaving the States?)... since it sounds like I wouldn't get an instant 30 day visa (or even a balikbayan visa) upon arrival at NAIA.  :89:

Sorry for asking but I just don't understand the rules.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Meanwhile, BI OIC Spokesperson Melvin Mabulac clarified that the foreigners who are holders
of Permanent Resident Visas are not allowed to enter the country under existing travel
restrictions imposed by the Inter-Agency Task Force on Infections Diseases (IATF).
He further stated that foreign crew members of airlines are allowed to enter the country aside
from overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), foreign spouses and dependents of Filipino citizens, and
foreign diplomats.

It seems confusing to me.  Like the above poster I have a 13A Permanent Resident Visa (not allowed).  But I am a foreign spouse of a Filipino citizen (allowed).   If memory serves me correctly the "existing travel restrictions" the spokesperson cites currently does allow Permanent Residents to enter the country.   I wonder if we will see a further statement that adds some clarity because this one seems to provide contradictions.

Okay here we go.  I am thinking the person either misspoke or was misquoted.

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/188019/restrictions-on-international-travel-still-in-effect-under-gcq-says-bi#:~:text=Under existing guidelines approved by,allowed to enter the country.

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) will continue to implement international flight travel restrictions at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) even when Metro Manila transitions to general community quarantine (GCQ) starting June 1.

Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente said Friday the travel restrictions that existed under the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) and modified ECQ will remain unless eased or lifted by the government.

“As a consequence, our operations at the NAIA are still downscaled and our personnel there are still on skeletal and rotational deployment,” Morente said in a statement.
He added that most international flights remain suspended due to travel restrictions that had also affected both Filipinos and foreigners who wished to enter or leave the country.

“Nonetheless, we assure the public that we are always ready to resume full, normal operations in our international airports once the government decides to ease or lift these travel restrictions,” said Morente.

According to Grifton Medina, BI acting port operations chief, international flights will still be “limited and few since the start of the lockdown in mid-March.”

He further said that immigration officers at NAIA currently serve an average of only 20 to 30 flights a day – a third of which are special flights that ferry medical supplies and other kinds of cargo into the country.

As for passenger flights, Medina said these are mostly repatriation flights that transport returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and chartered sweeper flights that bring foreigners stranded in the country back to their homelands.

Under existing guidelines approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF), only OFWs, Filipino citizens, their spouses and dependents, permanent residents, and foreign diplomats are allowed to enter the country.

All foreigners can leave anytime but Filipinos are not allowed to leave the country unless they are OFWs or permanent residents or holders of a student visa in their country of destination, according to BI.

On Thursday, President Rodrigo Duterte announced that Metro Manila, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Pangasinan, Albay, and Davao City will be placed under GCQ. The rest of the country will be under modified GCQ.

Edited by Mike J
corrected my visa type

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack D said:

I have a 13a (permanent resident) visa that may be completely useless (since I haven't been in the Phils for a few years, plus I haven't paid my yearly fees at the BI).

Sorry, but you used to have 13a...  When you leave the country you have to get a return authorization to keep your visa active while gone (it is built in to the ECC).  The RA is only good for 1 year. If you are gone more than a year - you no longer have a visa.  

2 hours ago, Mike J said:

It seems confusing to me.  Like the above poster I have a 13G Permanent Resident Visa (not allowed).  But I am a foreign spouse of a Filipino citizen (allowed).   If memory serves me correctly the "existing travel restrictions" the spokesperson cites currently does allow Permanent Residents to enter the country.   I wonder if we will see a further statement that adds some clarity because this one seems to provide contradictions.

Yeah, I wondered about that too.  Every official statement I have seen so far said that foreign spouses were allowed. I do not know what 'current' policies he is thinking of. Almost like English is not their first language? 

...or is the "Permanent Resident Visas" something different from a 13a?     

• Like 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

"Permanent Resident Visas" something different from a 13a

Yes they are.  There are the SRRV visas for one.

Jack D
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Sorry, but you used to have 13a...  When you leave the country you have to get a return authorization to keep your visa active while gone (it is built in to the ECC).  The RA is only good for 1 year. If you are gone more than a year - you no longer have a visa.  

Yeah, I wondered about that too.  Every official statement I have seen so far said that foreign spouses were allowed. I do not know what 'current' policies he is thinking of. Almost like English is not their first language? 

...or is the "Permanent Resident Visas" something different from a 13a?     

Thanks but I already figured out that my 13a was voided out, so that's why I questioned whether or not I could get a balikbayan visa.

English is not their first language. All laws in the Philippines are first written in Tagalog, and then translated into something 'resembling' English, but the actual intent of the laws are lost in translation.

The 13a is just one type of permanent resident visas:   (Moderator edit:  Feel free to link to an official source or a news source but not to someone's blog thanks)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver