The Visiting Forces Agreement not to be terminated.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I know the scrapping of the VFA has been the subject of previous comment, it appears that the agreement will continue to operate.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/philippines--duterte-u-turns-on-scrapping-of-us-troop-deal-12797190

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

will continue to operate.

I had a feeling this would happen. When the USA just basically shrugged and said "ok, go your own way, good luck to you!" Pres. D has appeared to blink.

The thing is I predict that exercises will not move forward. According to the article the termination is only for 6 months at a time. The US military plans these exercises 2 and sometime 3 years ahead. A unit who is slated to train with foreign troops will prepare at home station for 6 months to a year for the exercise prior to deployment. I don't believe that an exercise involving dozens of ships, thousands of personnel and millions of dollars will be planned when the Phil government might terminate the agreement at any time.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scott h said:

I had a feeling this would happen. When the USA just basically shrugged and said "ok, go your own way, good luck to you!" Pres. D has appeared to blink.

The thing is I predict that exercises will not move forward.

Other multi national exercises (like RIMPAC 2020 and BALTOPS 2020) have been scaled back and altered to occur at sea only which would make  exercises with the Philippines even less likely I would suspect.

(for reference)

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/29/navy-will-host-scaled-down-rimpac-exercise-in-hawaii-with-at-sea-only-events#more-75970

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2020/06/01/NATOs-BALTOPS-2020-exercise-to-involve-19-countries/4421591026006/

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Is anyone surprised ?

The U.S. has been very patient with the bunch of clowns good people (as demonstrated by recent events) running this country...IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

I love the Philippines and truly wish the Filipino people the very best. As a US citizen and as a tax payer I do not support military aid or any other financial support to Philippines. In general Filipino leaders are not friends to the US they now embrace ccp. I say America should respect their choices and move on. 

Edited by Old55
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

I love the Philippines and truly wish the Filipino people the very best. As a US citizen and as a tax payer I do not support military aid or any other financial support to Philippines. In general Filipino leaders are not friends to the US they now embrace ccp. I say America should respect their choices and move on. 

I respect your opinion, but would your opinion change if there was a new leader?... one that is friendly to the U.S?

After all, many forum members are U.S.citizens living in the Philippines... and other forum members (including myself) have moved back to our homelands with Filipina spouses (and their families are still living in the Philippines).

Is it really in the best interest of the U.S. to give up our support of the Philippines?

IMHO, the U.S. would be cutting off its nose to spite its face.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jack D said:

After all, many forum members are U.S.citizens living in the Philippines... and other forum members (including myself) have moved back to our homelands with Filipina spouses (and their families are still living in the Philippines).

Is it really in the best interest of the U.S. to give up our support of the Philippines?

Many forum members are citizens of numerous Non-US countries. living as expats in the Philippines. Those members sometimes move back to their homelands with Filipina spouses.  Those other countries do not all send military to the Philippines or give them money.  No expat has been kicked out of the Philippines because their homeland isn't sending troops or money to the Philippines.

But if the US thinks they are somehow controlling the Philippines by sending money then fly at 'er.  The rest of us will watch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

No expat has been kicked out of the Philippines because their homeland isn't sending troops or money to the Philippines.

Agreed but that's NOT my point at all. 

The security and well being of ALL expats (and Filipino citizens) depends on having a strong Filipino military. After all, there are countries such as China that could potentially become hostile to the Philippines.

The U.S. has stepped up to the plate to help whilst "numerous Non-US countries" have not done so is also NOT my point at all.

The lack of adequate security of the Philippines can potentially affect the security of the U.S., since there are already signs of a cold war with China, and cold wars can possibly become hot wars.

Even some of the "numerous Non-US countries" could also be facing a risk of hostilities with China if there are no countries willing to support the Philippines.

JMHO

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack D said:

Its not really about the Philippines, it is about the sea lanes between the oil producing middle east and the industrial centers of Korea and Japan. The USA really doesn't give a flying **** who controls the south china sea as long as there is free transit 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

The USA really doesn't give a flying **** who controls the south china sea as long as there is free transit 

Is free transit really free? 

Are there no costs at all involved with maintaining free transit in the sea lanes?