The Visiting Forces Agreement not to be terminated.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Geoff... Sad to say... I agree with all your points here...

For whatever international reasons, China has taken control of a big portion of what they claim as their "sovereign" territory... What you mention... "might makes right," is, unfortunately, a truism...

I met a guy several years ago, who had a similar name to mine... He was doing research about the "ownership" of  various areas based upon the location of oceanic "plates" and continental "land." It was fascinating and he showed me how, according to international law and recognition, who owned what regarding these continental plates. It was fascinating... but, sadly, it is not recognized in some of the international community... need I say... China?...

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The other flash point is of course Taiwan.  I can't see China invading the Philippines but I wouldn't put the possibility of them invading Taiwan outside the realms of possibility in the future.

Now why would they do that? An awful lot of Chinese goods are produced actually in Taiwan, it's like shooting  oneself in the Foot methinks :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Now why would they do that? An awful lot of Chinese goods are produced actually in Taiwan, it's like shooting  oneself in the Foot methinks :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Internal political issues could create a situation where it would be useful to focus the attention of their population.

Wars don't have to always be about resources, sometimes they're just a tool to distract attention from domestic issues.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gas said:

The year before that the jihadists were going to take control of the southern Philippines and we were all doomed

They certainly tried in one now ruined city (Marawi) but with the help of US forces were defeated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

with the help of US forces were defeated

That is a possibility, however "Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla, said that the American forces were not engaged in combat, but his statement was the first official confirmation of the American military presence in Marawi."

So were the US forces really needed?  Or were they just sticking their nose in like normal?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That is a possibility, however "Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla, said that the American forces were not engaged in combat, but his statement was the first official confirmation of the American military presence in Marawi."

So were the US forces really needed?  Or were they just sticking their nose in like normal?

Only going by memory they provided expertise in combat for city type warfare plus drones ETC. Filipinos have more jungle type fighting experience. As for sticking their nose in, I'm sure every bit helped at the time. And no US are not allowed to engage in combat here like any other country.

• Like 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Just like WWII, when Churchill was thrilled about how the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor resulted with the U.S "sticking their nose" into the war.

"Churchill, it’s no exaggeration to say, had been exhilarated by the Japanese bombardment of Pearl Harbor, and by Hitler’s subsequent -- and stupid -- miscalculation to declare war on the country that had just been attacked.

The night of the air raid, Churchill was hosting the American ambassador for dinner. As the first, sketchy reports filtered in from Hawaii, a telephone call was placed to the White House so a wartime prime minister could talk directly to a newly minted wartime U.S. commander-in-chief. “Mr. President,” Churchill asked, “what is this about Japan?”

“It’s quite true,” a shaken Franklin D. Roosevelt replied. “They have attacked us at Pearl Harbor. We are all in the same boat now.”

In his memoirs, Churchill amplified on his feelings. “No American will think it wrong of me if I proclaim that to have the United States at our side was to me the greatest joy,” he wrote. “[T]he United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all!”

“Being saturated and satiated with emotion and sensation, I went to bed and slept the sleep of the saved and thankful,” he added."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/12/26/when_churchill_fdr_found_themselves_in_the_same_boat_139023.html

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Jack D said:

Just like WWII

Ahh yes, there's the rub.  At that point the US military were helping to WIN a war.  Now it seems they help to start or perpetuate them.  Just MHO.

This article might help explain what I mean https://www.vox.com/2018/2/15/17007678/syria-President-war-win-interview

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Article in the paper this morning, that Pres D has clarified his position. Termination is not cancelled, just postponed for 6 months. Then unless cancelled again the clock will resume or postponed again.

In other words, IMHO he doesn't want to alienate Uncle Sugar when he might need some help. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

In other words, IMHO he doesn't want to alienate Uncle Sugar when he might need some help. :hystery:

Correct.

No doubt the begging bowl is being readied.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1