Global Anger Grows Over George Floyd's Death

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

"White people in this country will have quite enough to do in learning how to accept and love themselves and each other, and when they achieved this - which will not be tomorrow and may very well be never - the Negro problem will no longer exist, for it will no longer be needed".

quote from "The Fire Next Time" by James Baldwin

Written in 1962 and perhaps even more true today than almost sixty years ago.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/4/2020 at 4:38 PM, Snowy79 said:

Google Candice Owen

I love Candice!  With several more years of experience, I would love to vote for her as the first black female president!

I follow a few black conservatives, and their movement is growing.  Slowly but surely, the black community is realizing that the leftists have been deceiving them for many, many years.  Promises, promises to get the vote, but same old thing for their communities. 

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I love Candice!  With several more years of experience, I would love to vote for her as the first black female president!

I follow a few black conservatives, and their movement is growing.  Slowly but surely, the black community is realizing that the leftists have been deceiving them for many, many years.  Promises, promises to get the vote, but same old thing for their communities. 

I'm also seeing more and more of the young starting to understand how they are being manipulated by the media and politicians. Sadly it looks like there are PR companies now advising some celebrities to come out and apologise for things they did many years ago.  It's just pure virtue signaling and feeding the stupidity.

• Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Theres a FB clip doing the rounds of a group of demonstrators who's accents would suggest that they are of african descent 

A police officer walks past and one shouts her slogan ,"black lives mattet" ,he replys " all lives matter " 

Her reply ,"no they dont !"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/4/2020 at 4:38 PM, Snowy79 said:

Google Candice Owen.  A very clever women who gets seriously pissed off with the way the media and politicians make out racism to be the big issue.  This is well worth a watch.

https://web.facebook.com/realCandaceOwens/videos/273957870461345/

When I commented on your post earlier, I had not watched the video.  This is classic Candace and she makes perfect sense.  Most people don't want to hear it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

It appears the protests have triggered similar protests in Australia about police related deaths to indigenous people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52900929

Anger over the death of George Floyd has spread to Australia, with Black Lives Matter protests being held across the country.

But Australian demonstrators are not just expressing solidarity. Many are using the moment to vent fury about indigenous deaths in custody in Australia. So what is the situation?

How many indigenous Australians have died in custody?
Almost three decades on from a major inquiry into this issue, there is no easily accessible record.

In 1987, the Committee to Defend Black Rights found that one indigenous person was dying in custody every 11 days. It spurred a royal commission, completed in 1991, which investigated the incarceration of Aboriginal people and the circumstances of 99 deaths.

The inquiry made more than 300 recommendations, but most were not implemented, and recent reviews have been criticised as inadequate or misleading.

Analysis by The Guardian found that at least 432 indigenous Australians have died in custody since the inquiry.

Are Aboriginal Australians disproportionately jailed?
Massively. Indigenous people comprise almost 30% of Australian inmates but less than 3% of the national population, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

This is about four times higher than the proportion of African-Americans jailed in the US.

NSW police scheme 'targeted' Aboriginal children
There have been other stark reminders. A committee heard last year that every child in detention in the Northern Territory was indigenous.

According to one recent analysis, indigenous Australians are the most incarcerated people in the world - though its authors cautioned that much global data was not available.

When has anger escalated previously?
Some recent Aboriginal deaths in custody have sparked protests. High-profile cases include:

Kumanjayi Walker, 19 - shot dead last November after being arrested by officers at a house in a remote community;
Tanya Day, 55 - suffered a fatal injury in custody in 2017 after being arrested for being drunk and asleep on a train;
David Dungay, 26 - died after being restrained by five prison officers in a Sydney cell in 2015, despite crying out repeatedly "I can't breathe";
Ms Dhu, 22 - succumbed to septicaemia and pneumonia in 2014 while in police custody, in what a coroner later ruled had followed "inhumane" treatment by officers;
In 2004, there were riots in the Sydney suburb of Redfern after a 17-year-old boy, TJ Hickey, was killed in a police pursuit.

That same year, riots also broke out on Palm Island in Queensland after a man, Cameron Doomadgee, died in a cell from severe injuries, allegedly inflicted by a police officer.

What have been the consequences?
No police officer has ever been held criminally responsible for an Aboriginal death in custody in Australia - a fact often cited by campaigners.

A police officer is currently charged with murdering Kumanjayi Walker. A court has heard Constable Zachary Rolfe intends to plead not guilty. Another officer, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has denied murdering 29-year-old Aboriginal woman Joyce Clarke in Western Australia last September.

Some recent proceedings have identified systemic racism as an element in other deaths.

In April, a coroner's inquest found that Tanya Day had been the victim of "unconscious bias" when a train conductor reported her to police.

Australia admits failings on indigenous equality
In 2018, the Queensland government paid A$30m (£16.5m; $20m) in compensation to indigenous residents of Palm Island after a court found police had used excessive force on them during the 2004 riots.

What have political leaders said?
On Monday, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said although Australia had its faults, images of looting and burning in the US had made him grateful to live in such a "wonderful country".

He added, however, that he did not "diminish" concerns about indigenous deaths in custody.

But his comments were derided by many Aboriginal activists and human rights groups who have long accused Australian leaders of failing to address the problem.

"The prime minister, like others before him, has chosen to ignore this country's legacy of Aboriginal deaths in custody," said Nerita Waight from the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services.
Such cases have also often failed to draw wide media attention or publicity. Critics argue that Mr Floyd's death has been given considerably more prominence in Australia than deaths at home.

But they also say it has now fixed more attention on Australian policing. This week there was intense scrutiny of the controversial arrest of an Aboriginal boy in Sydney.

New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said: "I thought what most Australians thought, and that is - we still have a long way to go in our country."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

It appears the protests have triggered similar protests in Australia about police related deaths to indigenous people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52900929

There were large protests in Australia, mostly peaceful although Police in Sydney maced protesters in a railway station in Sydney after the protest had finished.

Australian Police have a lot to answer for as well, I would never deny that and I'm pleased that protests are happening here (looting doesn't seem to normally be connected to protests here).  Victoria (where I am) has a better record than other states but that's hardly a glowing recommendation, it's like saying they're the least worst facists (like Italy in WW2).

And yes it's a huge risk factor for Covid-19 and I fully expect this to cause increases in case numbers but Australia's numbers are so low that we've got room to handle an increase (undesirable as that is).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

On Entertainment Tonight TV show, loads of celebrities turned out to support Black Lives Matter . .  so . .  that is what this has become?  Entertainment?

• Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

After I heard what was going on with the George Floyd memorial services, Candace Owens message struck home even more.  If you didn't take the time to watch it, please do.  They are are having / had giant memorial services for him in Minneapolis, North Carolina and Houston.  This is part of the problem she talks about.

He did not deserve to die.  When I first saw the video, the first thing that came to my mind is the guy with the knee on his neck was pure evil.  I could see it in his face.  My first impression was not "another white cop killing a black man".  It was that the cop was pure evil.  His associates are not much better because they didn't take action.  Gutless Pri*ks.  They all need to be in jail and the killer needs to stay for a very long time.

However, the riots, looting, etc., are all fueled by the media frenzy and outside inciters.  And some black leaders who are always there when a camera is there.  Al Sharpton is one of them that I can't stand.  What a bottom dweller.  He is the opposite of MLK.

The lifetime criminal George Floyd did not deserve to die and those involved should be prosecuted.  However, he also does not deserve to be treated like a Saint, and given memorial services all over the country.  Those are pure political stunts, not memorials.

Please watch if you haven't.  Listen to the statistics later in the video.

https://web.facebook.com/realCandaceOwens/videos/273957870461345/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Police are out of control for all races IMO, not all but a lot of them have this swat team attitude towards people committing even minor offenses, It's like you have to be very careful what you say or down on the ground you go, I'm sure it's worse for people of color. I was tased standing in my neighbors yard about 10 years ago, my neighbor, older guy tried to kill himself in his garage with carbon monoxide fumes, someone called the cops and I came out of my house and they had him down on the ground in a choke hold, I walked over to an officer and asked him why my neighbor was being subdued, he just pulled out his taser and lit me up, he could have just said "your neighbor tried to kill himself" I wasn't being confrontational, he did it just because he could, it's a power trip.

• Sad 2