Global Anger Grows Over George Floyd's Death

intrepid
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Gator said:

Was any ulterior motive behind the killing?....

There are several things that make you think about that.

1.  Chauvin just kept sitting there with a smug look on his face.  I think he knew very well that he was choking him out.  And then after Floyd passed out and was still, he kept his knee on him for 2(?) more minutes.  It almost seems pre-meditated, and.....

2.  Chauvin and Floyd worked security together at the same night club.  This is a fact.  They must have run across each other before.  Who knows if they had a bad encounter.  However, you would think that Floyd would have recognized him and said something.

3.  This is not fact.  A rumor.  A rumor was going around that they were both involved in organized crime with the insinuation that this was a hit.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, intrepid said:

It was at that point, I think the officer suspected drugs and or a medical condition and called for an ambulance.  I think if he was combative and a threat to himself or others they would have been justified in holding him down until he calmed down.  However, once he was calm and also stated he was having trouble breathing, I think most officers would set him up to a more relaxed position until the ambulance arrived.  Its a hard call to make for some. 

Have you ever had a suspect escape your custody.

Pepper spray had just came on the scene and I had it in the car but not on my belt at that time.

Agree, at least could have rolled him onto his back or set up against the wheel of the patrol car. And if he was combative they could have used leg restraints as well.....probably would have needed them anyhow before loading him onto a gurney when the bus arrived. We weren’t there and it was not our call to make, easy to armchair quarterback the incident. But.......

Escape custody - yeah, a couple of times. Most were high or drunk and all but one were re-caught within minutes if not seconds. The one who got away was high on crack cocaine. The arrest went easy, traffic stop, seen the drugs and paraphernalia plus he had an FTA (Failure to Appear warrant). He was polite and cooperative as he knew he screwed up. I had him cuffed and sitting on the ground near my motor waiting for a transport unit....was a busy night, but the tow truck showed up first. I walked up to the tow truck to get the driver to sign the property receipt for the car and when I turned back the skinny little shit was gone! Guess while he was sitting there he decided he didn’t want to go back to jail - turned out he was a 3 striker and would gone away for a long time. The dumb ass got caught two days later when he showed up at the impound lot, cash in hand and tried to get his car back! Didn’t get my cuffs back though, lol

We didn’t get pepper spray until late 96 or maybe early 97; up until then it just fists , wits or my asp baton (Ok, once or twice my Mag-Lite too, lol). And the use of tasers back then was too controversial, so our Sheriff decided to wait until the courts sorted out their use and a training SOP could be set up. Pepper Spray on the other hand was a gift from above, unless a suspect was wasted on Meth it worked like a charm......usually took the fight right out of someone. And once word got out that we were using it, the mere threat of using it de-escalated the situation more often then not. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Gator said:

I don’t know who these guys are - “The Hodge Twins”.

I did not watch the video yet but looked them up first.  I have heard of them but did know who they really were.  They are you tube stars who started out with mostly comedy but then moved into body building and were successful in that arena, and still are.  They have 5 or 6 You Tube channels with several million subscribers so they are making good money on You Tube.  They have always been conservative and now they are doing conservative commentary.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

There are several things that make you think about that.

1.  Chauvin just kept sitting there with a smug look on his face.  I think he knew very well that he was choking him out.  And then after Floyd passed out and was still, he kept his knee on him for 2(?) more minutes.  It almost seems pre-meditated, and.....

2.  Chauvin and Floyd worked security together at the same night club.  This is a fact.  They must have run across each other before.  Who knows if they had a bad encounter.  However, you would think that Floyd would have recognized him and said something.

3.  This is not fact.  A rumor.  A rumor was going around that they were both involved in organized crime with the insinuation that this was a hit.

1. YES! And it appears he was rocking back and forth a little in an apparent effort to apply even more pressure.......

2. And 3. New news to me, but you would also think if there bad blood between them Chauvin would have chosen a different and smarter way to settle the score. And not in front of witnesses!

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Heeb said:

someone called the cops and I came out of my house and they had him down on the ground in a choke hold, I walked over to an officer and asked him why my neighbor was being subdued, he just pulled out his taser and lit me up, he could have just said "your neighbor tried to kill himself" I wasn't being confrontational, he did it just because he could, it's a power trip.

If the police were honest they would have told you he tried to commit suicide and they were there to finish the job. Unfortunately that does happen from time to time. Suicide by cop. Or even someone who is suicidal getting killed by the police because they are tired of dealing with the person who is locked up in their home not able to hurt anyone but themselves.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gator said:

What I don’t understand in the Floyd case is why the officer continued to keep him pinned to the ground when the threat was contained.....he was already handcuffed.....and, rookies or not, there were four officers there. Why didn’t they put him the back of a patrol car?

My guess.  The officer was on a power trip and wanted to show the rookies what a bad ass macho man he was.

• Hmm thinking 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/7/2020 at 8:55 PM, Gator said:

Why didn’t they put him the back of a patrol car? Even if the city has separate transport units, it’s not uncommon (and usually safer) to contain a subject in a patrol car until the transport unit arrives. 

Looks like you did not see the videos or read the news. At one point he was in the back of the police car. I cant be bothered now to find it but its out there. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Looks like you did not see the videos or read the news. At one point he was in the back of the police car. I cant be bothered now to find it but its out there. 

They put him in rear drivers side and he squigled to the other side where they pulled him out and then sat on him.  He was only in the car for seconds and that was the main point on contention.   You can hear the cop say "are you going to get in the car?" While he choked him.

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

Don't know if any of you have heard of Sheriff David Clarke but he has a little different take on what has been going on in the US and the reasons behind it all.                   https://www.facebook.com/prageru/videos/577149443209141

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1