Dofetilide

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not sure but the OP was asking about getting the drug here in the Philippines, perhaps by an Indian online pharmacy so my post had nothing to do with taking anything to the US or anywhere. :thumbsup:

Sorry.  This response was meant in reply to your earlier comment.

"As long as customs dont seize it and fine you for importing a prohibited drug. :smile:"

Since the OP is seeking a source for his medication Dofetilide, it may be possible this is already available in the Philippines under a different name.  Pharmaceutical companies consider the United States to be their largest and most lucrative market.  Prescription medications are more expensive.  To protect their "brand" and high price, the same medication is sold elsewhere under a different name, oftentimes at a lower cost.  Potential sources include Mexico and Canada.  Others include China and India.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, JJReyes said:

"As long as customs dont seize it and fine you for importing a prohibited drug. :smile:"

I had trouble at Manila airport a couple of trips back trying to bring in 2 months worth of medicine with Australian Prescriptions, they seemed to think the amount (which looked like a lot in my suitcase) might have been a commercial amount.  It wasn't until I could show a Philippines prescription from my previous trip for some of the medicine (and explained that some was available over the counter) that they changed their minds.

I found an alternative to the one medicine I use in Australlia that isn't available in the Philippines so I don't need to carry as much these days.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I have found Mercury Drugstore very helpful at obtaining particular medicines not normally stocked. Other pharmacies simply shrugged their collective shoulders, ‘sorry sir-not available’!

I am sure there is a Mercury in Iloilo.

There are plenty Mercury stores here in Iloilo - we mostly buy from there as needed.  They were good at recommending cheaper alternatives (not generics) to those prescribed by our GP.

• Like 1

Charles John
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the ideas but unfortunately Dofetilide is not available anywhere in the Philippines.

It must be purchased in another country and then shipped here.  My problem is I don't know how

to do that or where to get it.  I have tried to check many other Asian countries but get nowhere. 

My dream is that someone else in the Philippines uses Dofetilide and has found a way to get it

without returning to the USA every year to get a new RX.  I'm open to any idea.  Thanks

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Charles John said:

My dream is that someone else in the Philippines uses Dofetilide and has found a way to get it

without returning to the USA every year to get a new RX.  I'm open to any idea.  Thanks

Were you a Military man with a contact at the VA, If so can't they get it for you?  some here on the Forum get Meds through them  :tiphat:

• Like 2

Charles John
Posted
Posted

Thank you Jack Patterson.  Yes I am a US veteran and as a matter of fact I am 

currently getting my Dofetilde from the VA in Ohio.  But they require that you have

an in person exam every year before they will renew your RX. The VA  Clinic in 

Manila only see retires and disabled vets of which I am neither.  What I need is

a source here in Asia.  Thanks again.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Charles John said:

What I need is

a source here in Asia.

Guam maybe?

• Like 1

Charles John
Posted
Posted

Guam is a possibility!  I've looked into it a bit but I need to look at other

ways.  I think I would need an address in Guam to be seen at the Va Hospital

there.  It's only 4 hrs from Cebu so it's doable.  I'll try to contact their eligibility

office.  Wish me luck.  Thanks

• Like 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted
On 6/7/2020 at 9:38 PM, GeoffH said:

I had trouble at Manila airport a couple of trips back trying to bring in 2 months worth of medicine with Australian Prescriptions, they seemed to think the amount (which looked like a lot in my suitcase) might have been a commercial amount. 

I'm heading to the Philippines in a few days for a short trip. I'm already stressed out about going into quarantine when I get there, but now I'm even more stressed out about the several medications that I take daily.

They are all in American prescription bottles, and some of them are not available in the Philippines. If I didn't have to go the the Philippines to take care of a time-sensitive issue, I'd wait, but unfortunately, that's not an option.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack D said:

They are all in American prescription bottles, and some of them are not available in the Philippines. If I didn't have to go the the Philippines to take care of a time-sensitive issue, I'd wait, but unfortunately, that's not an option.

The standard recommendation is to leave them in the original boxes with labels attached, carry the original receipt and ask for a letter (or print out) from your GP that lists all the medicine your carrying.   Also put the medicine into clear plastic bags (large ziplocs work well) I've found that works fine most of the time as long as I'm not carry 'too much' medicine.  If they do query you then just stay calm (hard I know) and show them the paperwork and explain that you are on holidays and are going to get an extension and that the medicine you take isn't available in the Philippines.   I strongly suggest packing the medicine into your checked luggage.

If you need to have medicine on you for taking during the trip (I do), then I suggest adjusting your times, carrying only a small amount and taking it during the trip (and if possible not long before landing) because you won't be able to access your case until after you're through customs and carrying it in your carry on can create issues (at least in my experience).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1