Dofetilide

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jack D said:

I'm heading to the Philippines in a few days for a short trip. I'm already stressed out about going into quarantine when I get there, but now I'm even more stressed out about the several medications that I take daily.

They are all in American prescription bottles, and some of them are not available in the Philippines. If I didn't have to go the the Philippines to take care of a time-sensitive issue, I'd wait, but unfortunately, that's not an option.

30 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The standard recommendation is to leave them in the original boxes with labels attached, carry the original receipt and ask for a letter (or print out) from your GP that lists all the medicine your carrying.   Also put the medicine into clear plastic bags (large ziplocs work well) I've found that works fine most of the time as long as I'm not carry 'too much' medicine.  If they do query you then just stay calm (hard I know) and show them the paperwork and explain that you are on holidays and are going to get an extension and that the medicine you take isn't available in the Philippines.   I strongly suggest packing the medicine into your checked luggage.

If you need to have medicine on you for taking during the trip (I do), then I suggest adjusting your times, carrying only a small amount and taking it during the trip (and if possible not long before landing) because you won't be able to access your case until after you're through customs and carrying it in your carry on can create issues (at least in my experience).

GeoffH gives good advice. Whenever I return to the Phil’s from the UK I have three months supply of quite a few medicines. (In the UK our medicines are free, and we can get up to three months worth at any one time). I just keep a few days supply (in one of those containers marked Sun to Sat, with compartments for daily dosage) in my carry-on bag, the rest I put in my checked in luggage. I also carry a letter from my GP detailing the meds. The one exception to checking in your meds is insulin. That needs to be kept cool so it would be best to take that in a cooler bag in the cabin. Airports are well experienced with insulin so anyone carrying it shouldn’t have a problem. I have never had an issue with carrying meds in 10 years of regular travel to the Philippines.

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The standard recommendation is to leave them in the original boxes with labels attached, carry the original receipt and ask for a letter (or print out) from your GP that lists all the medicine your carrying.   Also put the medicine into clear plastic bags (large ziplocs work well) I've found that works fine most of the time as long as I'm not carry 'too much' medicine.  If they do query you then just stay calm (hard I know) and show them the paperwork and explain that you are on holidays and are going to get an extension and that the medicine you take isn't available in the Philippines.   I strongly suggest packing the medicine into your checked luggage.

If you need to have medicine on you for taking during the trip (I do), then I suggest adjusting your times, carrying only a small amount and taking it during the trip (and if possible not long before landing) because you won't be able to access your case until after you're through customs and carrying it in your carry on can create issues (at least in my experience).

When I fly I always take at least a week supply in my carry on in case my luggage gets lost.  I once had a bag end up in South Africa when flying from Seattle to a week long training seminar/vacation in Florida.   So far I have never had anyone ask about them.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 6/6/2020 at 11:51 AM, JJReyes said:

You are permitted to bring into the United States a 90 days supply of foreign purchased prescription medication.  This is for personal use only - not for resale - and not prohibited for importation under US laws.  Narcotics and medical marijuana are examples of prohibition.  What seniors purchase overseas are items like heart and diabetic medication.  Another is erectile dysfunction medicines which cost 10 times more in the United States.   I don't know the current situation, but Americans use to cross into Canada to get their US prescriptions filled.  Much cheaper for the same brand name or generic drug.  (The US-Canada border is close at the present time.)  

I get several medications from a Canadian Pharmacy online. One of them gets mailed from Canada, the other will come from either Canada or India. Saves me money especially since I have a high deductible health insurance with an HSA.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 6/10/2020 at 6:27 PM, Huggybearman said:

GeoffH gives good advice. Whenever I return to the Phil’s from the UK I have three months supply of quite a few medicines. (In the UK our medicines are free, and we can get up to three months worth at any one time). I just keep a few days supply (in one of those containers marked Sun to Sat, with compartments for daily dosage) in my carry-on bag, the rest I put in my checked in luggage. I also carry a letter from my GP detailing the meds. The one exception to checking in your meds is insulin. That needs to be kept cool so it would be best to take that in a cooler bag in the cabin. Airports are well experienced with insulin so anyone carrying it shouldn’t have a problem. I have never had an issue with carrying meds in 10 years of regular travel to the Philippines.

For travel in the US you must carry your medication in the original bottle with all the prescription information. If law enforcement see unidentifiable pills they assume they are contraband prescription drugs or some sort of illegal drug.

• Like 1